2013 Ford Fusion

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Seems it takes in engine heat. When I have my heat on my engine stays on longer. If I turn the heat off, then the engine turns off too if the battery has charge. After the engine is hot enough and the interior is warmed up, the engine turns off. Electric heat would take up way too much energy.

I am fairly certain on cars like the Leaf, the heat is all done by electricity, which I also believe I read drastically reduces the range of the car.

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
I had to go to a Ford dealership today for work and as I pulled up, I noticed I'd parked next to a brand new Fusion Hybrid. It was red like the one posted earlier and looked really sharp.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
That's interesting. I'm in and out of cars all day and have never seen the point of push button start. I suppose if my car wasn't a dinosaur and I didnt have to unlock the doors with the key, I may feel differently. I'm never sure what I'm supposed to do with the keys after I start a push button car. Haha, I'm sure ill get used to it eventually.

Anyone know why Ford doesn't have that option in the hybrids??

my new car has push button start, which i didnt give a ton of thought to (didnt really care either way for the most part).

but i do have to say you do get used to it. you dont have to take your key out of your pocket so its just one less thing to have to do (like turn a key). my last car you took this fob and put it in a slot and pushed the fob (which seemed really stupid compared to a push button) so i like this one better.

that said it woudl be even better if it was fully keyless with keyless entry (i didnt watn to pay $500 or whatever for that). so i have to find the key in my pocket and push a button to unlock, but still better than a real key i'd say.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
my new car has push button start, which i didnt give a ton of thought to (didnt really care either way for the most part).

but i do have to say you do get used to it. you dont have to take your key out of your pocket so its just one less thing to have to do (like turn a key). my last car you took this fob and put it in a slot and pushed the fob (which seemed really stupid compared to a push button) so i like this one better.

that said it woudl be even better if it was fully keyless with keyless entry (i didnt watn to pay $500 or whatever for that). so i have to find the key in my pocket and push a button to unlock, but still better than a real key i'd say.

What car mfg did that? Makes no sense to have a proximity type fob and then make you push a button to unlock the door.

My brother's Jeep with push button start unlocks when he touches the door handle with the fob on him. And it's a base model Jeep.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
What car mfg did that? Makes no sense to have a proximity type fob and then make you push a button to unlock the door.

My brother's Jeep with push button start unlocks when he touches the door handle with the fob on him. And it's a base model Jeep.

Yeah. My 2009 Mazda 6 (w/ the tech package) works like this as well. Silly that the keyless door handles are an extra option if the hardware for the proximity fob is already there.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000

BMW.... yes its retarded but they have to have something to put in comfort access for the premium pack I didn't want to buy. yes it doesnt make sense, but a lot of luxury makes do stuff like this and well you pay to play i guess. hell 2012 BMW 3 series didnt even have power seats standard.

you'd be surprised that a lot of luxury cars do not have fold down rear seats standard either (C class.... 3 series until recently, not even sure you can get it on a lexus IS)

Last edited:

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

The fiancee's new EDGE does that. Such a great ride.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I got about 800 miles on the FFH now. 2nd tank of gas is almost done, lifetime average has been 39.3mpg. If not for the weather, it might have been a bit higher, say 43. With colder weather the engine doesn't turn off to provide heat. Plug-in would have been good for my commute, I'm constantly running down the battery.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
my coworker just ordered one . even got it under invoice even for an order.

he got a 1.6 turbo, black on black , leather. and the reason he had to get an order was he wanted the stop start system and the backup camera. ill get to check it out in 3-4 weeks when it arrives. they should make buying any car like this, instead of just stocking cars at dealerships to the idiots who buy on impulse.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

Keyless entry is awesome. I love it. And my charger has a little button on the handle so I don't need to deal with the fob to lock, either. Just get out, close door, tap button as I walk away. LOCKED baby.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
My 2.0 turbo AWD Titanium got to the dealership on Monday. Black on black. I picked it up Tuesday night. I can't even begin to explain how impressed I am with it. The Titanium is already loaded up with a lot of options, but in addition to what it comes with I got:
19" H-Spoke Wheels
Driver Assist Pkg (Lane Keeping, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rain-Sensing Wipers)
Navigation
Moonroof

Basically, the only options not in mine are the Active Park Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control. I'm kind of wishing I just ordered those, too...but I doubt I'd use them very often.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Just ordered mine. They didn't have anything in stock close enough, unfortunately.

2013 Fusion SE I4 FWD (P0H) $21,882
Midnight Black $0
Equipment Group Luxury Package (205B) $1,945
1.6L GTDI EcoBoost Engine (99R) $0
6 Speed Automatic (44W) $0
18" Gloss Black Aluminum Wheels (64B) $442
SE Technology Package (14K) $893

Total A/Z Plan Price: $25,640

Still deciding how I want to do my lease. 16.5k miles, 2 year cost is $338/mo. 3 year is $312/mo.

Would have gotten a Titanium if they offered the 1.6L in it...oh well. I love the BLIS and rain-sensing wipers in my current Fusion, but couldn't justify the cost here. Incentives are already much worse than two years ago...my 2-year lease cost on a much more expensive 2011 Fusion was only $315/mo.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
I love the BLIS and rain-sensing wipers in my current Fusion

I haven't been impressed with the rain-sensing wipers, but it's only rained once since I got it last week. Even with it set to the lowest sensitivity, I thought they were clearing the window way too often.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I haven't been impressed with the rain-sensing wipers, but it's only rained once since I got it last week. Even with it set to the lowest sensitivity, I thought they were clearing the window way too often.
Love was probably a bit strong. They can definitely be a little finnicky. Usually in pure rain mine are okay, but if ice or snow is involved, I'm having to play with it pretty constantly. I guess that was a factor in me being willing to drop that package.

What it came down to is that while I really liked BLIS and the other features were nice, I wasn't willing to pay $1000 for BLIS. Wish you could get it by itself.

vertika

Jan 11, 2013
2013 Ford Fusion Explore all the powerful technology & efficient power trains
looks very smart in affordable price///:colbert:

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I have yet to see one in the wild (other than mine, of course).

Closing in on 2800 miles, and IIRC somewhere just north of 37mpg combined. Which I'm not *too* disappointed in...I attribute a good bit of that to my not knowing how to properly drive a hybrid, and it wasn't the mpg rating that sold me on the car anyway.

I've done commutes in the 44's, so I know that it *can* be done.

I love the car, not a single complaint (yet).

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
BLIS saved me from a probable accident the other day. I was backing out with a minivan next to me. Someone blasted by in the parking lot at 25mph or so. Heard the beeping and stopped and saw him go by.

Those with the tech package, it took me a while to find the USB ports in side the central console and the 110V socket on the central console in the back area.

Should the first oil change be at 1K or 5K or 10K miles?

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
BLIS saved me from a probable accident the other day. I was backing out with a minivan next to me. Someone blasted by in the parking lot at 25mph or so. Heard the beeping and stopped and saw him go by.

Saved me over the weekend at Cabela's...almost same exact scenario.

Those with the tech package, it took me a while to find the USB ports in side the central console and the 110V socket on the central console in the back area.

The kids found all that on the way home from the dealership. Never let the curiosity of a 5, 7, and 12 year old go to waste.

I'm going to let the car tell me when it's ready, as pathetic as that sounds. At 2800 miles the oil life says 75% IIRC...

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Guess what Consumer Reports said about the 2013 Fusion? (You will not be surprised.)

saw one on the road yesterday for the first time. looked like the new hyundai sonata
It doesn't look anything at all like a Sonata, stop trolling.
Actually, have you compared the side view of both cars? There are superficial similarities in styling details (for example, the C-pillar area and door handles embedded in crease),
and proportions (chunky!).

new-fusion-rear.jpg

Macedone-Miles-2013-Hyundai-Sonata-Revealed.jpg

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003

One of the last things my salesman said before I left the lot was that I could definitely let it go 5k before changing the oil. But, like etrigan420 said above, I think I'm going to base mine mostly on when the car requests it. I'm almost to 200 miles, so I've got a long way to go either way.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
saw a fusion titanium on the way to work today.

looks really nice, the 18" stock rims make it look great. was some gunmetal type gray color.