2013 Ford Fusion

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
Aikouka - try switching your audio from Stereo to the Surround setting. I did that, and found everything to be much more balanced. Not that I'm a huge audiophile, but I'm definitely more aware of sound quality than the average person.

That being said, I haven't noticed that the volume control is a large increase or decrease per click. I have mine around or above 50% listening to FM, Sirius, Pandora over Bluetooth, etc. Maybe the source you're playing from is too "hot" (mp3 player/cell phone is has volume turned up).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Aikouka - try switching your audio from Stereo to the Surround setting. I did that, and found everything to be much more balanced. Not that I'm a huge audiophile, but I'm definitely more aware of sound quality than the average person.

Yep, I've found that option, and it definitely does make a big difference. I don't know if I gave the wrong impression, but I wasn't actually complaining about the car's sound stage. It just sounds different, but I've gotten used to it. In a way, I'm glad that I'm not paying for the Bose name anymore.

That being said, I haven't noticed that the volume control is a large increase or decrease per click. I have mine around or above 50% listening to FM, Sirius, Pandora over Bluetooth, etc. Maybe the source you're playing from is too "hot" (mp3 player/cell phone is has volume turned up).

My current audio source is a USB 3 drive hooked directly into the car, so it just uses the car's volume setting. My volume is actually very far down at the moment (probably around 10-25%) as anywhere near 50% would be deafening!

I need to try out speed-sensitive volume at some point because that's the main reason why I turn my volume up and down. So, using that would save me a lot of hassle, but without reading the manual (who does that? :p), I have no idea what those number options mean. I'm guessing the severity of the volume delta?

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
My current audio source is a USB 3 drive hooked directly into the car, so it just uses the car's volume setting. My volume is actually very far down at the moment (probably around 10-25%) as anywhere near 50% would be deafening!

Is it the same when you're listening to the radio? Because mine is pretty quiet at 10-25% no matter what audio source I'm using.

I need to try out speed-sensitive volume at some point because that's the main reason why I turn my volume up and down. So, using that would save me a lot of hassle, but without reading the manual (who does that? :p), I have no idea what those number options mean. I'm guessing the severity of the volume delta?

The manual doesn't explain it anyway.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Anybody else have issues with gas pumps continuously and obnoxiously disengaging? Took me ten minutes to put five gallons in my car this morning, and I had to stand there holding it down like 40% the entire time.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
Anybody else have issues with gas pumps continuously and obnoxiously disengaging? Took me ten minutes to put five gallons in my car this morning, and I had to stand there holding it down like 40% the entire time.

I haven't had a problem with mine. is it possible that the piece you flip up to keep the pump in the on position might have just been slipping?

You could read through this thread http://www.blueovalforums.com/forum...-funky-fuel-tankanyone-attempted-a-full-fuel/ . I don't remember the exact details because it was a few weeks ago that I read through it, but some people were reporting that their tank wasn't holding as much gas as it should. I think in one case an engineer from ford was sent to one owner's location and they pulled out the gas tank, cut it open, and found there was a manufacturing defect.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I haven't had a problem with mine. is it possible that the piece you flip up to keep the pump in the on position might have just been slipping?

You could read through this thread http://www.blueovalforums.com/forum...-funky-fuel-tankanyone-attempted-a-full-fuel/ . I don't remember the exact details because it was a few weeks ago that I read through it, but some people were reporting that their tank wasn't holding as much gas as it should. I think in one case an engineer from ford was sent to one owner's location and they pulled out the gas tank, cut it open, and found there was a manufacturing defect.
This is the third time I've filled up (or tried to, at least) my tank now and it has happened at three different gas stations. My brother also reported having the same problems. Going to do some more research later but I doubt it's isolated.

The issue in that thread isn't my issue though. The pump just continues to disengage regardless of how full the tank is and regardless of whether I'm trying to pump manually or trying to stick the little tab down.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
The issue in that thread isn't my issue though. The pump just continues to disengage regardless of how full the tank is and regardless of whether I'm trying to pump manually or trying to stick the little tab down.

There are posts in that thread that report the same thing (#117, for example). Just in case you didn't read through the entire thread.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

When I filled up my gas tank for the first time, I noticed that it was right below the full mark rather than being above it like all of my previous cars. I've had this happen with a few different gas pumps in the past, but I try to use the same pump every time (consistency in data), and this was the same one that always filled my Altima up all the way.

EDIT:

Although, I believe the amount of gas put in seemed about right. I think I put in ~12 gallons at 1/4 of a tank, and the Fusion has a 16 gallon gas tank.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

My Jeep had a TSB about that symptom. Something to do with the evaporative system plumbing.

I could only put fuel in slowly. Any attempt to fuel up at a normal speed caused the pump to stop as if the tank was full.

I could get it to work okay by not putting the nozzle in all the way, which allowed some venting around the nozzle, I guess.

Otherwise it would take me a very long time to fill the tank.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I've seen attendants place the gas handle in upside down when it keeps stopping.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Many pumps shut off anyway, even if you don't release the handle, so the cap trick doesn't always work.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
This is the third time I've filled up (or tried to, at least) my tank now and it has happened at three different gas stations. My brother also reported having the same problems. Going to do some more research later but I doubt it's isolated.

Yup, mine does it too. I have wondered if it's something in the vapor recovery system with the "cap-less" tanks. :confused:

At just under 5,000 now. Averaging 38.5mpg, no complaints.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Yup, mine does it too. I have wondered if it's something in the vapor recovery system with the "cap-less" tanks. :confused:

At just under 5,000 now. Averaging 38.5mpg, no complaints.
My '11 Fusion had a "capless" tank and never had these issues.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I refilled my car last night, and the trip screen said I used ~7.5 gallons, but by using the "just the tip" refill method, I was able to put in 8.6 gallons. To note, I did use a different gas station for this. This time, my fuel gauge was at the full mark where the first refill put it right below the full line. Typically, a car would go about 30-50 miles before I would ever drop below the full line, so I think I've still got a bit more to go.

I ordered a bluetooth-based ODB2 device, and I'll use that to grab the fuel data from the ECU.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Anyone else with the Fusion have the car lurch? I have 1500 miles on it had it has happened 3 times. It feels like either it's making a big jump in gearing or switching between regen brakes and regular brakes. Once it was while I was coasting downhill, the 2 other times were while braking.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Anyone else with the Fusion have the car lurch? I have 1500 miles on it had it has happened 3 times. It feels like either it's making a big jump in gearing or switching between regen brakes and regular brakes. Once it was while I was coasting downhill, the 2 other times were while braking.

Somewhere around 6000 miles and no, I have not experienced that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Has anyone else noticed any rattling noises in their car? I know the source of one: the cup holder. It seems that if I put a thin, plastic cup in the cup holder, it will make noise. I know it's the cup holder because if I pick the cup up, the noise stops. Also, I keep picking up on this low volume rattling from the passenger's side that occurs if I ever go over top of a slight bump (speed doesn't seem to matter). I tried holding the glove compartment to see if that was loose, but that didn't stop it. The noise sounds a lot like static from a speaker, but I don't think that's it.

Any ideas? Those low volume noises (e.g. a computer fan with bad bearings) are like my kryptonite.

I think we all know that MyFord Touch (MFT) can be described as a bit wonky, but as a software person, I'm rather curious what's wrong with it. My issue is fairly small compared to some that I've heard, but MFT likes to randomly reshuffle and reindex my USB drive, which always places me on the first song alphabetically. Oddly enough, it never goes to track #1 on a shuffle, which seems like a quality of life bug to me.

The problem seems to be an issue with MFT not having enough processing power during start-up to perform its tasks. This appears to be exacerbated if the driver requests the system to perform even more actions. The one that I've noticed is shifting gears. Before, I would just shift from Park to Drive normally, but MFT would index me almost every day. Then, I started waiting at Reverse for the overlay to come up (only the rear camera video feed is instantaneous), and it rarely ever indexes my drive. In fact, the last time that it indexed/shuffled was one of those awkward situations where all I got was a black screen when I put it in reverse.

Just think about all the things that have to occur during start-up... phone connection, phone address book download, load navigation, check for audio devices, load user settings, etc.

Last edited:

alevasseur14

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2005
I know this isn't helpful but… I wish I had your problems! I got an aftermarket deck for my '96 when I bought it because I wanted to leave an iPod in the console. When it doesn't work I have to decide if its the iPod or yet another VW electrical Gremlin.

MFT (or similar) is a big deal to me if I ever do get a new car so I hope you can get your issue sorted out!

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Has anyone else noticed any rattling noises in their car? I know the source of one: the cup holder. It seems that if I put a thin, plastic cup in the cup holder, it will make noise. I know it's the cup holder because if I pick the cup up, the noise stops. Also, I keep picking up on this low volume rattling from the passenger's side that occurs if I ever go over top of a slight bump (speed doesn't seem to matter). I tried holding the glove compartment to see if that was loose, but that didn't stop it. The noise sounds a lot like static from a speaker, but I don't think that's it.

Any ideas? Those low volume noises (e.g. a computer fan with bad bearings) is like my kryptonite.

I think we all know that MyFord Touch (MFT) can be described as a bit wonky, but as a software person, I'm rather curious what's wrong with it. My issue is fairly small compared to some that I've heard, but MFT likes to randomly reshuffle and reindex my USB drive, which always places me on the first song alphabetically. Oddly enough, it never goes to track #1 on a shuffle, which seems like a quality of life bug to me.

The problem seems to be an issue with MFT not having enough processing power during start-up to perform its tasks. This appears to be exacerbated if the driver requests the system to perform even more actions. The one that I've noticed is shifting gears. Before, I would just shift from Park to Drive normally, but MFT would index me almost every day. Then, I started waiting at Reverse for the overlay to come up (only the rear camera video feed is instantaneous), and it rarely ever indexes my drive. In fact, the last time that it indexed/shuffled was one of those awkward situations where all I got was a black screen when I put it in reverse.

Just think about all the things that have to occur during start-up... phone connection, phone address book download, load navigation, check for audio devices, load user settings, etc.

O.M.G.

I had that *same* issue with the rattle from the passenger side...check the plastic piece of interior directly behind your passenger door latch. (Molding or whatever the hell it is...)

Mine had jacked itself loose somehow, I pushed it back in and haven't heard the rattle since.

That would be crazy if it's the same thing...

The only Sync quirk I have is that if I voice "Browse by artist" on my Ipod, then touch navigate to the song I want to hear...most of the time it just wont play it. It just ignores the click. Then I just voice "Play song Ghost of Tom Joad" and it does...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I know this isn't helpful but… I wish I had your problems! I got an aftermarket deck for my '96 when I bought it because I wanted to leave an iPod in the console. When it doesn't work I have to decide if its the iPod or yet another VW electrical Gremlin.

MFT (or similar) is a big deal to me if I ever do get a new car so I hope you can get your issue sorted out!

I know what you mean. It seems that aftermarket infotainment systems just never really work all that well compared to a good, fully-integrated OEM system. That's one of the reasons why I liked MFT in the Ford, it seemed well-integrated, and it could be expanded fairly easily.

Amusingly enough, even after all of my prattling on about how I try to baby MFT to keep it from screwing up, it bogged down this evening and did the shuffle/index. I think the problem was that I turned the car on, and I shifted it into Reverse while it was still on the white Ford splash screen. When I did that, it eventually just went to the four-quadrant home screen and sat there. It took about 10-15 seconds to transition to the rear-view camera screen. I'd go and try to mess it up again if I wasn't on a good song... like I was when it messed up. :p

O.M.G.

I had that *same* issue with the rattle from the passenger side...check the plastic piece of interior directly behind your passenger door latch. (Molding or whatever the hell it is...)

Mine had jacked itself loose somehow, I pushed it back in and haven't heard the rattle since.

That would be crazy if it's the same thing...

Hmm I don't see any plastic near the door latch. Is there any way that you can point out which piece it was? Maybe I'm just being my usual, block-headed self.

The only Sync quirk I have is that if I voice "Browse by artist" on my Ipod, then touch navigate to the song I want to hear...most of the time it just wont play it. It just ignores the click. Then I just voice "Play song Ghost of Tom Joad" and it does...

I'm weary to even try the voice commands. I tried some fairly easy ones once, but apparently, I wasn't using the command words that it was expecting. The worst part about failing to issue a proper command is that every time you do that, it repeats that same 2-3 sentence guidance about how to ask Sync what commands you can use. Yes, Sync... I heard you the first twenty times!

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
I know what you mean. It seems that aftermarket infotainment systems just never really work all that well compared to a good, fully-integrated OEM system. That's one of the reasons why I liked MFT in the Ford, it seemed well-integrated, and it could be expanded fairly easily.

Amusingly enough, even after all of my prattling on about how I try to baby MFT to keep it from screwing up, it bogged down this evening and did the shuffle/index. I think the problem was that I turned the car on, and I shifted it into Reverse while it was still on the white Ford splash screen. When I did that, it eventually just went to the four-quadrant home screen and sat there. It took about 10-15 seconds to transition to the rear-view camera screen. I'd go and try to mess it up again if I wasn't on a good song... like I was when it messed up. :p

Hmm I don't see any plastic near the door latch. Is there any way that you can point out which piece it was? Maybe I'm just being my usual, block-headed self.

I'm weary to even try the voice commands. I tried some fairly easy ones once, but apparently, I wasn't using the command words that it was expecting. The worst part about failing to issue a proper command is that every time you do that, it repeats that same 2-3 sentence guidance about how to ask Sync what commands you can use. Yes, Sync... I heard you the first twenty times!

It's pouring outside...let's see if I can find a stock photo...

ford_zpsc2eb02eb.jpg

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's pouring outside...let's see if I can find a stock photo...
ford_zpsc2eb02eb.jpg

Ah, okay... now I see where the confusion came from. When you said latch, I thought you mean this part as that's commonly called the latch. However, the plastic part behind the door handle does seem to be the culprit, but I don't know if mine will just snap into place. I started hearing the same noise from the driver's side, and it stopped when I put pressure on that plastic piece on both the left and right side of it.

Also, you know that little holder tray in the center console? Does that thing ever stay in place? Whenever I open my center console, my tray has always fallen in. I would just take it out, but I'm actually using it to hold coins and other small items.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Ah, okay... now I see where the confusion came from. When you said latch, I thought you mean this part as that's commonly called the latch. However, the plastic part behind the door handle does seem to be the culprit, but I don't know if mine will just snap into place. I started hearing the same noise from the driver's side, and it stopped when I put pressure on that plastic piece on both the left and right side of it.

Also, you know that little holder tray in the center console? Does that thing ever stay in place? Whenever I open my center console, my tray has always fallen in. I would just take it out, but I'm actually using it to hold coins and other small items.

How weird is that? Mine is just the passenger side, and it's just popped loose the one time. After I snapped it back in it hasn't given me any troubles...I'm wondering if it has something to do with the proximity to the door speakers, as the speaker grill butts up against that interior piece.

My little console tray never goes anywhere. You have it sitting on the tabs, yeah? I don't have anything in mine though, and seldom open the console itself. My Ipod just sits in there and does it's thing and I have a pig tail USB cord running out of the front to charge the phone.

I find it strange that the CD player can't (or wont) identify what CD is in the player. It plays them fine, but just says "Track 1", etc...I thought this was a pretty run of the mill thing for cars in this day and age. Am I just wishful thinking?