2011 Steam Holiday Sale DEAD!

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Okay, still deciding on one of these (HELP ME CHOOSE AT!):

Skyrim
Batman: AC
LA Noire
Saint's Row III
Dues EX HR
Portal II
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations

Adding:
Warhammer: Space Marine

Last edited:

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005

Skyrim
LA Noire
Saint's Row III
Dues EX HR
Portal II
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations

Adding:
I vote for batman or saints row 3.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Okay, scratch LA Noire, I'm getting it from Amazon for $8. Still looking for something off of Steam.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003

Skyrim
LA Noire
Saint's Row III
Dues EX HR
Portal II
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations

Adding:

Portal 2: Cheapest and the best.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Okay, scratch LA Noire, I'm getting it from Amazon for $8. Still looking for something off of Steam.

Skyrim will ruin your life.

Well, you don't have to put too much time into it....but invariably, you will.

Go with Batman if you enjoyed the first as much as I did (I'm waiting for ~$10 on AC)

scratch that--Deus Ex is the better price and looks a hell of a lot of fun. That was on my pre-sale list, and were it not for Skyrim, I would have bought it. It has been on sale so much, already that I expect another sale soon enough. Plus, too busy with other pursuits to really care about another game.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000

Skyrim
LA Noire
Saint's Row III
Dues EX HR
Portal II
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations

Adding:
Either Skyrim or Batman.
If you don't have the time to play a game like Skyrim(I know I don't), get Batman.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
And just like that Amazon has pulled LA Noire sale.
Everything I've read and heard about LA Noire make it sound like crap. I'd say get Deus Ex. Generally regarded as good (and one of the few there I've played and so far I want to agree) and it's cheap. Skyrim looks cool, but it's still $40 so I wouldn't get that yet (also waiting for more mods). Batman and saints row look "meh" and are expensive.

Also Portal 2 is awesome

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Everything I've read and heard about LA Noire make it sound like crap. I'd say get Deus Ex. Generally regarded as good (and one of the few there I've played and so far I want to agree) and it's cheap. Skyrim looks cool, but it's still $40 so I wouldn't get that yet (also waiting for more mods). Batman and saints row look "meh" and are expensive.

Also Portal 2 is awesome

IMO LA Noire was a very good idea executed poorly. A lot of the cases were not written well, and a lot of the clues didn't make any sense and it was more of a "walk around until you hear a sound" game than actual detective work. Many of the dialog options when interviewing people didn't end up saying what I expected them to say, which left me wondering if I was playing a game or just watching a choose your own adventure movie. The facial animations were at least impressive, and it's something I think future games should take advantage of.

in short: skip LA Noire, there's far too many games that are better to bother with it

Oct 20, 2005
I have a 25% off valve title coupon. I'm trying to use it on Portal 2 but my cart keeps showing the discounted price of $7.49 and no indication that an extra 25% off is taken off.

The coupon states that Portal 2 is an applicable game.

Anyone know why it isn't working?

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010

Skyrim
LA Noire
Saint's Row III
Dues EX HR
Portal II
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations

Adding:

Depends on what you prefer really. Batman and Skyrim are both games I recently purchased and I can see myself finishing Batman first. Batman game just looks so damn nice. And I find myself preferring the combat and storyline.

And to complicate things further, I did hear great things about SR3 too.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Batman AC it is.

I loved Batman AA (even though I didn't finish it) so I think I will enjoy this as well.

Do I need to finish AA first before starting AC?

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Did previous steam sales have those "freebie" achievements, like recommend a game, turn on steamguard, link facebook, etc?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Did previous steam sales have those "freebie" achievements, like recommend a game, turn on steamguard, link facebook, etc?

They did during the Summer Camp sale. Each day had a freebie to get a ticket. They just started this whole sales game thing with the achievements iirc. My mind is a bit foggy atm as I just woke up and still have a cold