2011 NL MVP Ryan Braun tests positive for PEDs, faces 50-game ban

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
$2m and a 50 game fine? BFD.

The MLB, and any other professional sport that has dopers, is never going to do anything significant to completely stop them because of all the benefits they receive (i.e. revenues).

If professional sports had any real interest in trying to stop PED use, there would be harsher punishments - try putting the PED user on a 5 year unpaid vacation or expelling a repeat offender from the league and see who else does it. Probably wishful thinking.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
He's a moron. They should have given it to Kemp anyway, crushed Braun in just about every major category. Braun will probably never be the same just like Manny after he was caught. What a waste.
The sad thing is that if Matt Kemp had actually won the Triple Crown with a little better BA, I think the writers would've still stiffed him in voting because the Dodgers weren't contenders. I wouldn't say Braun's stats were crushed; his numbers were pretty strong, giving the voters ample reason to employ their bias towards a division winner.

At the very least, once the penalty is upheld, they should vacate the award.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Not happy to hear this. What's more likely - a false positive or a false negative? Were they done in a long enough time frame that a positive followed by a negative could both be the correct outcome?

I need more info.

There's really no such thing as false positives, not with the way these samples are tested. That false positive stuff is just floated to spread some doubt with the fans in an attempt to salvage their career.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
The sad thing is that if Matt Kemp had actually won the Triple Crown with a little better BA, I think the writers would've still stiffed him in voting because the Dodgers weren't contenders. I wouldn't say Braun's stats were crushed; his numbers were pretty strong, giving the voters ample reason to employ their bias towards a division winner.

At the very least, once the penalty is upheld, they should vacate the award.

I'd say a 10 rWAR to 7.1 is getting crushed but what do I know. Even fgraphs had him 8.7 vs 7.8.

Kemp had a 5 point higher OPS+, 7 more stolen bases and 6 more HR's, missing the 40/40 club by 1 HR. Braun batted 8 points higher in average with Prince protecting him in the lineup while Kemp had no names like Rivera, Miles, and Sands batting behind him. He was in contention for the Triple Crown late in September and finished 1st in HR, 1st in RBI, 1st in Power/Speed rating, 1st in Runs Created, 1st in Runs Scored, 1st in Total Bases, 2nd in stolen bases, 2nd in OF assists, 2nd in Extra Base Hits, 2nd in Hits, 2nd in Intentionally Walked, 3rd in average, 3rd in Times on Base, and only missed one game (vs Braun's 12).

Are you kidding me? That is an amazing season and voters are just morons, the last person to hit the 40/40 club (or even 39/39) was Soriano in 2006 but he batted .277 with a whopping 36 points less in OPS+ and 5.7 WAR. He became just the 3rd player in MLB history to reach the 100 RBI, 100 runs, 40 steals, 39HRs plateau (ARod in 1998, Vlad in 2002) but Kemp had the highest OPS+ of the three by 11 points. He also became the first person to lead the NL in HRs and RBI in the same year which was 70 years ago. And that is semi-remarkable considering how shitty the players in front of him are at getting on base.