2003 Toyota Matrix Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000

<< The 180 HP engine is a waste driving in daily commute unless you want to go deaf (you'll know what I'm talking about when driving one). >>

Are you saying that all 180HP engines are loud by default? or is it just this one? If its the former, then you obviously have not driven a jetta vr6. My dad's used to be so quiet that it made it hard to drive sometimes. Then he added an aftermarket exhaut and intake and now it has a much better sound.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999

<<

<< The 180 HP engine is a waste driving in daily commute unless you want to go deaf (you'll know what I'm talking about when driving one). >>

Are you saying that all 180HP engines are loud by default? or is it just this one? If its the former, then you obviously have not driven a jetta vr6. My dad's used to be so quiet that it made it hard to drive sometimes. Then he added an aftermarket exhaut and intake and now it has a much better sound.
>>

I think he means the specific 1.8L engine that Toyota is using. He means it will be loud because it has to revved high in order to achieve 180hp, while your dad's Jetta has the VR6 engine is a torquey engine that has more displacement therefore can achieve high hp without being revved to 8000RPM.

I have seen/heard a Celica GTS dyno, bloody hell was it loud! Sounded like the engine was gonna blow up at any time!! it adds to the fun while driving though, just not hwen your crusing on the highway and your engine produces a irritating drone.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
A lot of you need to understand that the torque and HP a given engine gives out is a function of the design of that engine, not just it's displacement.

It's not like engine manufacturers throw a 2.2L engine together, and say.. "Oh look, it's produces 150HP@6000rpm with 140ftlbs of torque@4500rpm max". We have very advanced engine design software now; you can input the necessary data and it will give you a very good approximation of engine performance.

You can modify the powerband of any engine drastically with realitivly minor modifications to the camshaft... You can increase power and change the powerband even more with modifications to the heads..

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< The thing is, all of the sport utes in this category use the same kind of AWD system. What's the big deal?? >>

The thing is, this car isn't being marketed necessarily toward the SUV market; rather, it's being marketed to the Soob SUW (Sport-Ute-Wagon) market. In all honesty, in all terms other than price, it doesn't compare.

<< Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, Hyundai Sante Fe, CRV, etc. >>

Toyota isn't bringing the Matrix out to compete with these - it already has the RAV4.

<< But fug it, I don't care anyway. Who wants a puny 123HP engine hooked up to AWD and get smoked at stoplights by 3-cylinder Geo Metros. I'd rather have the 180HP engine with FWD. >>

Personally, I'll take a bit of compromise; my 2.5L 165HP with AWD all the time works fine for me. :) That's my point - if this thing is intending on wooing Subaru owners, it has a lot of room to go. A Subaru isn't that much more expensive - $18k vs. $15k base-model prices, but in terms of the Sport-Ute-Wagon, is a much better car.

Don't get me wrong: I love Toyota. If Toyota made a decent SUW, I wouldn't be driving a Subaru right now - but the fact of the matter is that they don't, the Matrix really doesn't compare, and I'll be a loyal Subaru owner until Toyota comes up with something better.

Rob

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
very affordable little wagon, but the styling does not appeal to me. saw one on the road a few days ago.:p

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< The thing is, this car isn't being marketed necessarily toward the SUV market; rather, it's being marketed to the Soob SUW (Sport-Ute-Wagon) market. In all honesty, in all terms other than price, it doesn't compare. >>

It's being marketed as "something" different. It doesn't really have a classification. It goes up against the Ford Focus ZX5, PT Cruiser, and Protege 5. None of those have AWD so just be happy that you have the option at all. Besides, with the 180HP engine, it would smoke 'em all.

<< Toyota isn't bringing the Matrix out to compete with these - it already has the RAV4. >>

That wasn't the point. The point is that AWD systems like that are used in quasi - sport utes. The lack of a transfer case is not a problem for these vehicles as they never see any off road duty, and neither will the Matrix. It just kicks in when needed; just as it should be.

<< Personally, I'll take a bit of compromise; my 2.5L 165HP with AWD all the time works fine for me. That's my point - if this thing is intending on wooing Subaru owners, it has a lot of room to go. A Subaru isn't that much more expensive - $18k vs. $15k base-model prices, but in terms of the Sport-Ute-Wagon, is a much better car. >>

It's not intended to against the Subaru. What gave you that idea? Just b/c it has an AWD option with a 123HP engine? That's hardly a Soob competitor. I've already mentioned its competition above.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< It's not intended to against the Subaru. What gave you that idea? >>

In one of the commercials, it marketed itself as a "Sports Utility Wagon" - a term that Subaru has been using for a while.

Rob