2003 Toyota Matrix Review

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< i'd buy one if it actually looked like sports car ;) >>

Not everyone wants or needs a sports car ;)

That being said, it shouldn't be too much slower than a Toyota Celica GT-S given that it uses the same engine and tranny and weighs only about 300 more.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Heck, it's a great car for a small family. Forget a minivan...
I think I like it better than the PT cruiser, especially with awd option... but it's definitely not a drivers car... too bad Toyota didn't make a strong enough awd system to dump more hp into it. (when I mean more I mean the 180hp from the top model)

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001

<< how come you cant get 4wd with the 180hp engine?

6 speed or 4wd????????????????
>>

Toyota's smokin somethin... they put out some really sweet products and ideas (ie an SMG for the MR2 Spyder) but then again, they do have to make money. Strengthenin the awd components and 6speed tranny enough to reliably take on 180hp is probably more weight/work/$$$ than Toyota wanted to deal with. But then again, Toyota has other 'small' awds in Japan with plenty of hp.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
i'd like one witha a personallized license plate...... BLUPILL

(concept stolen from some other person...i dont remember who)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
for some reason i don't think it has a lot of torque. which is too bad really. because torque is fuel economy. and acceleration. its ugly too. if i wanted something that looked like a wannabe race car i'd add the body kit myself.

Uclagamer_99

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2000
it doesn't even look like a sports car...like the review says it looks like a station wagon ;)
for some reason the name Matrix makes me want to think of something sporty and coupe-y, don't mind me im still young :D

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
damn this car looks sweet, but is it just me or this car also look like a mix between a ford focus wagon and a honda insight?

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Wow, I'm sorry but here's another reason not to get one... the AWD system is not really full time. It only splits power between the front & rear when there is slippage... there's no real transfer case at all. Toyota really cheaped out... at least they priced it right for what you get.
14K is pretty cheap for a Toyota!

Also, it shares it's platform with the Corolla so the ride should be comfortable but probably not the super-handling machine the commericials hype it as. It has a fairly standard suspension setup (MacPherson struts etc.) but that doesn't mean you can't get it to handle much better. Neons are on struts and handle amazingly well due to their stiffSTIFF chassis.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Wow, I'm sorry but here's another reason not to get one... the AWD system is not really full time. It only splits power between the front & rear when there is slippage... there's no real transfer case at all. Toyota really cheaped out... at least they priced it right for what you get.
14K is pretty cheap for a Toyota!

Also, it shares it's platform with the Corolla so the ride should be comfortable but probably not the super-handling machine the commericials hype it as. It has a fairly standard suspension setup (MacPherson struts etc.) but that doesn't mean you can't get it to handle much better. Neons are on struts and handle amazingly well due to their stiffSTIFF chassis.
>>

Who cares about the AWD system? Most of the car-based "utes" out there use a similar system to this. Heck, about 95% of the car-based sport-utes use this system...even our Toyota Highlander.

You don't need a transfer case in something that spends 99.9% of its time on the road. As for handling, who cares?? It's a friggen wagon!!! ;)

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< for some reason i don't think it has a lot of torque. which is too bad really. because torque is fuel economy. and acceleration. its ugly too. if i wanted something that looked like a wannabe race car i'd add the body kit myself. >>

Hmm.. Well, the FWD 5 speed version gets 30mpg city and 35mpg highway. I would say it must have pretty good torque then, eh?
rolleye.gif

Torque, really, has nothing to do with fuel economy, lol..

Torque = HP * 5252 / RPM
Horsepower = Torque * RPM / 5252
RPM = HP x 5252 / Torque

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< Who cares about the AWD system? >>

The target demographic, for one. Many Soob owners (myself included) might be tempted by a car like this, if it were All Time AWD. I love Toyota's, and this car looked nice, but the more I learn about it, the cheaper (and I use that word intentionally) it looks. :(

Rob

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
I think it's one fugly mother. It's the retarded cousin to the aztek imho. ;)

punkrawket

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2001

<< I think it's one fugly mother. It's the retarded cousin to the aztek imho. ;) >>

no... that's the vibe... now that's a turd with wheels

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I prefer a Subaru AWD station wagon over this pretender anyday. The 180 HP engine is a waste driving in daily commute unless you want to go deaf (you'll know what I'm talking about when driving one).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<<

<< Who cares about the AWD system? >>

The target demographic, for one. Many Soob owners (myself included) might be tempted by a car like this, if it were All Time AWD. I love Toyota's, and this car looked nice, but the more I learn about it, the cheaper (and I use that word intentionally) it looks. :(

Rob
>>

The thing is, all of the sport utes in this category use the same kind of AWD system. What's the big deal??

Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, Hyundai Sante Fe, CRV, etc.

But fug it, I don't care anyway. Who wants a puny 123HP engine hooked up to AWD and get smoked at stoplights by 3-cylinder Geo Metros. I'd rather have the 180HP engine with FWD.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Man the Matrix is fugly. I thought it looked nice in the pics, saw it in person and its nasty. I'd rather get a Protege5.

The new Corolla does look nice though, different, but nice.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
The Protege has the Matrix beat inside and out. The Matrix interior is well built but it's one ugly duckling. Who designed it? Pontiac?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't think it looks that bad, I haven't seen one in person though. I wouldn't mind having one. :)

Jun 18, 2000
What the crap kinda review was that? The "reviewer" doesn't mention anything about drive quality, fit/finish, performance, or its competitors. It seemed more like a brochure than a review. I'll wait for Edmunds to get their hands on one.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Side note...saw at pontiac Vibe (matrix twin) yesterday at a dealership

WHY THE FSCK IS GM PUTTING PLASTIC ON EVERYTHING?????