200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
Holy crap. How large is their storage farm?????? But 7 months retention, that's a little overkill. Really, only one month is necessary.
People get interested in new stuff all the time. Say you develop a hankering for some tentacle pr0n at some point in the future, there you go, 7 months worth built up for you right there.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: KK
I would think it'd be alot more than just 300GB a day.
The last time I ran across a stat on that, probably 2 years ago, the full feed was over 1 TB a day.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory
The last time I ran across a stat on that, probably 2 years ago, the full feed was over 1 TB a day.
Wikipedia says it's 3.12TB so I'll go with that. That means 200 days is 624TB, and with redundancy that's over an exobyte.:Q I couldn't imagine 1/10th that in hard drives, so I'm having an ever harder time picturing 1EB.:p

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Wikipedia says it's 3.12TB so I'll go with that. That means 200 days is 624TB, and with redundancy that's over an exobyte.:Q I couldn't imagine 1/10th that in hard drives, so I'm having an ever harder time picturing 1EB.:p
I can't picture an EB either :confused:

I'd like to see behind the scenes at one of these news hosts.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory

:Q

I wonder how much heat all of those hard drives generate!

CFster

Golden Member
Oct 16, 1999
Retention like that causes my newsreader program to crash - I get "out of memory" errors just downloading headers for some of the bigger groups (and I have 2GB).

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
retention is way overrated...items are reposted so many times...and requests are just a post away...

just seems like hype to me

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: CFster
Retention like that causes my newsreader program to crash - I get "out of memory" errors just downloading headers for some of the bigger groups (and I have 2GB).

Thats why there is something called Giganews accelerator now. Text