200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Giganews has completed its third significant storage upgrade of the year which will increase binary retention day by day through the end of the summer to 200 days! Giganews continues to hold text newsgroup articles indefinitely and as a result Giganews' retention in text newsgroups is well over 1400 days.

This latest upgrade comes just two months after Giganews announced 120 day retention in binary groups and only four months after Giganews announced 100 day retention in binary newsgroups.

"This recent push to 200 days retention fits into our normal cycle of perpetual upgrades. Traditionally we haven't increased retention by as large a margin as we are during this current upgrade; however, we have decided to accelerate our upgrade cycle so that we can continue to lead Usenet and provide more value for our customers. By nearly doubling our storage capacity Giganews is investing in our service so our customers can continue to enjoy the best Usenet experience possible." said David Vogelpohl, Giganews' Vice President of Marketing and Sales.

This retention upgrade follows closely after a series of additional security offerings, utility releases, and other value additions to the Giganews service.

http://www.giganews.com/news/a...retention-200days.html

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
giganews is good stuff...very fast. maxed out my FIOS connection d/ling at 1.7MB/sec for 2 days straight...somewhere around 180-200gb if I remember correctly

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: jaybert
giganews is good stuff...very fast. maxed out my FIOS connection d/ling at 1.7MB/sec for 2 days straight...somewhere around 180-200gb if I remember correctly

:thumbsup:

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Balt
I wonder how their hardware requirements compare to YouTube's.

I heard they upload 25PB per month and pay well over 1 million USD for bandwidth during that time...

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Holy crap. How large is their storage farm?????? But 7 months retention, that's a little overkill. Really, only one month is necessary.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
Originally posted by: Balt
I wonder how their hardware requirements compare to YouTube's.

I heard they upload 25PB per month and pay well over 1 million USD for bandwidth during that time...

Ouch...

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Any free usenet servers out there that have decent storage? Time Warner apparently just killed their newsgroup system so now I can only download at like 50KB/s instead of the normal 500KB/s so it's useless. 4 hours just to get headers from one group I use...

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
Holy crap. How large is their storage farm?????? But 7 months retention, that's a little overkill. Really, only one month is necessary.

My ISP server is about 2 weeks on binaries and even that is more than enough. If you don't download something in the first week odds are you don't want it all that much.

gabemcg

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
I get 45 day retention, unlimited d/l, 8 connections for $14.95/mo from news hosting, works fine for me, I think 200 days retention is overkill, especially if you have an unlimited acct... I'd have to pay at least $5 more/mo to switch to giganews, not worth it...

Sorry to spidy07 and pcnerd37 for breaking all the rules, I'll go back to my cave and shut up now...

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Any free usenet servers out there that have decent storage? Time Warner apparently just killed their newsgroup system so now I can only download at like 50KB/s instead of the normal 500KB/s so it's useless. 4 hours just to get headers from one group I use...

newsleecher search function :)
or pay $2/mo for newzbin nzb indexing service.