20" Sony trinitron tube monitor for $49 maybe less?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001

well with the new video card that handles 3 monitors for games... wow:) sweet surroundo vision for cheap i guess:p

i'm too spoiled by my flat trinitron+high refresh to jump. ah well

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Order Details

VIEWSONIC
21 INCH VIEWSONIC ACTIVE MATRIX LCD MONITOR WITH INTEGRATED SPEAKERS (1 x $2,015.00) $2,015.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Subtotal: $2,015.00
Entered Discount (20e20 may special): $20,150.00
Shipping: $12.00
DISCOUNTS TOTAL: $20,150.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL: $12.00

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

LiLRiceBoi

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by: PHiuR
Order Details

VIEWSONIC
21 INCH VIEWSONIC ACTIVE MATRIX LCD MONITOR WITH INTEGRATED SPEAKERS (1 x $2,015.00) $2,015.00

Product Subtotal: $2,015.00
Entered Discount (20e20 may special): $20,150.00
Shipping: $12.00
DISCOUNTS TOTAL: $20,150.00

TOTAL: $12.00

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

WOW that HOT!! Good luck getting it though....

anzhan

Feb 18, 2002
That's what I was talking about. You guys figured it out. Haha.
The thing is they try to give a $10 off for any pruchase. I think they just messed up and they won't be able to fullfill all the orders. Anyway, I ordered three flat panel and hopefully I was early enough for them to find out.

Got confirmation message from them.
The status is pending.....

ActionJ

Jul 26, 2001
Good Monitor, But very heavy.

I don't know abouth the website and the coupon code thing, but I have been using this monitor for 3+ years. Be aware that you need the adaptor if run on windows (not sure about mac/unix and such). .28 dpi may not sound attractive alone, but its sony trinitron tube, i thought it measure differently. My visual experience is excellent color, bright, high refresh rate, fun (18.3 viewable!). I used it to do homework, watch VCD, play video games... no problem whatsoever.

Only 2 downsides: 70lbs, hard to move around. My adaptor is not connecting very good now.

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Krakn3Dfx
I use one of these on my Radeon 8500 dual head. I have the Sun monitor on the primary head and a Samsung 955DF on my second. What people will want to know about this is:

-Despite the high dps, this is a Sony trinitron tube, and they have a very nice picture
-Most won't run at a lower resolution than 1024x768@60Hz
-You will need to run a utility that allows you to sync-on-green (like Powerstrip)
-If you are a gamer, this is probably not going to work as a single monitor solution. Quite a few games run their menu system at 640x480 before you start into the game at 1024x768 or more. If you use it in a dual monitor situation however and mirror the monitors while you game, it's pretty cool, then you can set it back to an expanded desktop when you're not gaming. If you're not a gamer, then this is a great monitor
-This monitors are built to last. Mine has a production date of 1996 on it, but it runs like brand new, and I expect it will last me for many many years to come.

I dont know what monitor you guys got but the 5 that I had ran fine at 640x480 as well as all other resolutions listed, needed no utility to sync on green and needed no special adapter. I assume you have a non multi-sync model. Those only run at a certain resolution. I do agree that they are built to last.

These are fully multi sync so it will run at any of the resolutions posted with no need for adapters and such.

As for the flatness of the screen it is verticaly flat and slightly curved horizontally. It is the original design trinitron tube. Very nice color and brightness. You won't be disappointed.

beatmix01

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
I just attempted to buy a Viewsonic 23.1 INCH TFT Flat Screen using the code... it came out to $20 bucks and I payed using paypal... one of my co-workers just tried to order the same thing and his came out to $246 sumthin' Who know could I actually recieve one?
how cool would that be?

beatmix01

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
if it does turn out shady what do u think the chances are of getting money back sent through paypal?

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: beatmix01
if it does turn out shady what do u think the chances are of getting money back sent through paypal?

Heh, not good. You're at the mercy of paypal and the company.

jimmyjam

Mar 4, 2002
whats even funnier is you can submit an order without entering any credit card info. i even got a confirmation. :confused:

WiseOldMan

Jul 23, 2001

It's a great way to collect names and addresses. All it's going to cost them is
a few minutes worth of time writing the "Oops, sorry! It was a typo" email.

They can make a lot of money selling these personal info to the mass marketers. :)

NotAClue

Feb 20, 2001
This is a very nice monitor.
I bought a used one last year from a friend for $75
These things listed for around $2500 in 1995. The screen is semi-flat.
Good luck finding drivers for it(not that you really need them). Luckily, XP just recognized it. This monitor should have an excellent picture, and a phenominal refresh rate(something silly like 120Hz). Mine just runs at 75Hz and I can't change that.

If anyone knows of anything that can be done to get this monitor to run at its potential, please post.

I just tried ordering one and the final price is $168 with shipping.
They did knock off $10 for code: may20e20.
I will pass. For $50, I would have bought another in a heartbeat.

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
We have one of these at work, hooked up to a medical imaging workstation. Beware, the image quality is horrendous. Low refresh rates as well. You may be better served spending a few more dollars for a low buck non trinitron tube.
I won't go to your clinic. :)

Kroffty

Oct 9, 1999
just got this email
looks like a screw up again!?

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your order.
The item which you have ordered had a wrong discount code calculation. It supposed to be $10. discount but in our checkout , it gave 10x discount.

We apologize for this error and have corrected the problem. We still like to keep your order. Please confirm that the price of the item you have ordered is $119.00/unit or place the order again.
We are not going to charge you until we get a confirmation from you.

Thanks
Mirage Multimedia Systems Inc.