Solved! 2 SSDs vs (SSD + HDD) vs M.2

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
I am going to build a new PC and this is my PCpartPicker list. Since X470 gaming Plus does have 2 M.2 slots. I just don't want the clutter of SATA power and data cables in the case, hence inclined to buy M.2 SSDs. I plan to keep the PC 3 years at max and then build a new one again. So almost everything will be discared after 3 years. I have few questions:
  • Go with 2 SSDs or 1 SSD + 1HDD. 2nd is for storing data and I don't need more than 500GB in total, everything is saved on the cloud these days. Cost wise it does not make much difference in India here. 250 + 250 GB is enough for me.
  • WD Green is 2K cheaper than Crucial MX500 on amazon India. It is almost 40% cheaper. is WD that bad or Cruicial that great ?
  • Use internal SATA or M.2 (price different is hardly $8) ?

My work includes: programming, data science, Jupyter lab software , lot of web browsing, 1080p videos on YouTube and Blu-Ray movies. 12 hours a day is usual. I am not looking for NVMe drives because first they are too expensive and I live in a very hot place (40 degree C usual, shoots beyond 45 too for a couple of months) and this post says no to them on such places.

Last edited:
Solution
Don't go with the WD Green:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10748/western-digital-introduces-wd-blue-and-wd-green-ssds

As far as the "2 SSDs or 1 SSD + HDD", that's entirely up to you. It's not really needed performance-wise as the biggest performance boost is having the OS on a SSD, but I've personally done away from any internal HDDs, and I only use spinners for external back-ups now.

SATA or M.2? Doesn't matter, but the M.2 version will be two less cables in your PC if that's a concern for you.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Don't go with the WD Green:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/10748/western-digital-introduces-wd-blue-and-wd-green-ssds

As far as the "2 SSDs or 1 SSD + HDD", that's entirely up to you. It's not really needed performance-wise as the biggest performance boost is having the OS on a SSD, but I've personally done away from any internal HDDs, and I only use spinners for external back-ups now.

SATA or M.2? Doesn't matter, but the M.2 version will be two less cables in your PC if that's a concern for you.

Solution

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
Great info!

Thanks UsandThem. Since there is not much price difference between WD Blue and MX500, I will go with 2 M.2 based MX500. There is one thing i can't understand though, this is what I got from MSI offical specs on X470 gaming Plus:

canvas.png

I don't know much about PCI lanes. Why,on M2_1, it talks about Rageon/vega graphics ? Will it disable the graphic card ? (disabled SATA ports are fine, I won't be using them anwyay)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
No, a SATA SSD will not disable any PCIe lanes, and your GPU will run at full speed when installed in the top most x16 slot.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Read the specifications on the M.2 slots carefully. Sometimes one slot may not support SATA M.2 devices. If a M.2 is located between the CPU and the first video card X16 slot Heat can cause it to throttle sometimes. You might use some program like Crystal to look at the speed the M.2 is running at while running videos.

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
and I thought M.2 slot below the X16 slot will run much hotter because graphics card is generally mounted with fans facing down.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
and I thought M.2 slot below the X16 slot will run much hotter because graphics card is generally mounted with fans facing down.

They generally run hotter above the top PCIe slot as they usually get sandwiched in between the video card and CPU cooler. However, good case airflow can overcome this easily for almost all current NVMe drives which run a lot cooler than they did when they first came out.

arnuld

Dec 1, 2018
They generally run hotter above the top PCIe slot as they usually get sandwiched in between the video card and CPU cooler. However, good case airflow can overcome this easily for almost all current NVMe drives which run a lot cooler than they did when they first came out.

Hm.. I am getting either Cooler Master H500 put 2x200 mm fans on top with 2x200 I am getting in front, both for intake. Else I will Thermaltake Core X31 with 2x120mm in front and 2x120mm on top for intake. So like you said, I think it will do fine.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hm.. I am getting either Cooler Master H500 put 2x200 mm fans on top with 2x200 I am getting in front, both for intake. Else I will Thermaltake Core X31 with 2x120mm in front and 2x120mm on top for intake. So like you said, I think it will do fine.

Yeah, you won't have issues. There will always be air blowing across it with what you described.

Although, I would personally do the front intakes like you mentioned, but have the fan(s) on top exhausting hot air as well......basically like a wind tunnel. Cool air in the front, hotter air going out the back and top.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've seen many different videos on fan configuration, but when I build a PC, I do my own testing in house on what gets me the best balance of cooling and noise. It really comes down to the case you choose.

My Be Quiet Dark Base 900 would perform horribly if I had my top fan point downward, as the case is designed for the air to be forced out the small top "grooves" and the top side vents.

g7_061716.jpg

i1_061716.jpg

But nothing wrong if you want to go the route you first mentioned, it's yours and I was just offering a suggestion. :)