18650 batteries

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This site has what looks to me to be very good information. I have no idea concerning the quality of their product, but the info here is encouraging.

Last edited:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
This site has what looks to me to be very good information. I have no idea concerning the quality of their product, but the info here is encouraging.

Fenix makes some decent tach lights. I've got a Fenix PD36R that I really like. Picked it up on Amazon.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fenix makes some decent tach lights. I've got a Fenix PD36R that I really like. Picked it up on Amazon.
Looking, their cheapest option in a 18650 is a 2600mah protected button top cell at $10 apiece. Their info inspires some confidence, but they aren't Sony, Panasonic, etc. Still, I'm seriously considering purchase. They have a 20% off intro offer and free shipping over $25.

I'm a total newb but seems to me that these Miady lamps have relatively low power draw (current) and would not stress the cells particularly. Am I right in that?

Fenix says they are rated at 500 charges, and I take that to mean they won't lose more than 75% capacity but likely have many more charges in them.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Looking, their cheapest option in a 18650 is a 2500mah protected button top cell at $10 apiece. Their info inspires some confidence, but they aren't Sony, Panasonic, etc. Still, I'm seriously considering purchase. They have a 20% intro offer and free shipping over $25.
That sounds about right for a quality cell.
I have a Fenix camping lantern, it's a quality piece of gear.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Some confusion, I see what seems the same battery at Fenix site selling for $15 and $10, maybe my confusion. Well, starting here I found what I bought 6 of, i.e. the cheapest, the $10 one:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Looking, their cheapest option in a 18650 is a 2600mah protected button top cell at $10 apiece. Their info inspires some confidence, but they aren't Sony, Panasonic, etc. Still, I'm seriously considering purchase. They have a 20% off intro offer and free shipping over $25.

I'm a total newb but seems to me that these Miady lamps have relatively low power draw (current) and would not stress the cells particularly. Am I right in that?

Fenix says they are rated at 500 charges, and I take that to mean they won't lose more than 75% capacity but likely have many more charges in them.
Sorry for the confusion, I was strictly talking about their lights. While I do have the battery that came with my light (no problem with it), these are the Samsung batteries I use that have 3000mah with a button top and protection.

$10 is about right for a good quality battery.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I ordered the Xtar VC4 charger off an ebay listing today. Here's a quite good video on it, and I'm quoting the maker's response to a comment on the video:

And the guy who made that review dropped a telling remark in response to a comment:
Mr Baz Reviews
11 months ago
I'm not getting Xtar review samples at this time nor will I as Xtar stole some of my videos! (long story but hmm)
So I did not look at the BC4, perhaps there are other reviews that might help. The VC4 is decent, and IMO one of the last good Xtar ones to come out, the newer VC4S was not a good charger, nor the VC2S so I'm not overly impressed with their later offerings. I can say this is a good overall charger, being fair. Aside from the barrel connection I don't have a ton of complaints.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I ordered the Xtar VC4 charger off an ebay listing today. Here's a quite good video on it, and I'm quoting the maker's response to a comment on the video:

And the guy who made that review dropped a telling remark in response to a comment:
Mr Baz Reviews
11 months ago
I'm not getting Xtar review samples at this time nor will I as Xtar stole some of my videos! (long story but hmm)
So I did not look at the BC4, perhaps there are other reviews that might help. The VC4 is decent, and IMO one of the last good Xtar ones to come out, the newer VC4S was not a good charger, nor the VC2S so I'm not overly impressed with their later offerings. I can say this is a good overall charger, being fair. Aside from the barrel connection I don't have a ton of complaints.
Another real good review of the Xtar VC4 charger. Xtar made some stinkers since, but this is still a real goodie:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015

Mr Baz Reviews
11 months ago
I got this one a couple of years ago but I still keep it in the kitchen on metal shelving in case it ever goes boom.

It has about 5 different recharge and discharge/recharge cycles I never use mainly because I have no idea what they're for. It seems to do the job well enough on the default settings though.

I was in the market for some new 18650s recently though and there don't seem to be many to choose from. But I just checked now and there seems to be a much healthier collection. I wonder if Elon was slurping up all of the export-eligible lithium from china.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

Yes, the product page specs 18 lumens, which seems a bit low but could be honest, then if getting 3 hours for an 18650 cell, you're only C/3 (400mA) for that pathetic old battery, so no where near the max sustained current limit of any major brand 18650 cell.

However the math doesn't even make sense. 18 lumens, even from a mere 1200mAH cell, should run far longer than 3 hours. 400mA drain rate, should put a light north of 100 lumens, even using crappy generic chinese leds from a decade ago. Maybe this is one case in a million where the seller left off a zero at the end of the lumen rating (so really 180 lm) rather than adding an extra zero like so many generic lights seem to do on amazon.

On second thought, it's probably some fuzzy math where they are stating each LED produces 18 lumens on the datasheet, x 18 LED, would be 324lm if in a lab setting where kept cool and at constant voltage but as implemented, would make sense to arrive at roughly 400mA avg. drain rate for 18 x 18lm LEDs.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes, the product page specs 18 lumens, which seems a bit low but could be honest, then if getting 3 hours for an 18650 cell, you're already at only C/3 for that pathetic old battery, so no where near the max sustained current limit of any major brand 18650 cell.

However the math doesn't even make sense. 18 lumens, even from a mere 1200mAH cell, should run far longer than 3 hours. 400mA drain rate, should put a light north of 100 lumens, even using crappy generic chinese leds from a decade ago. Maybe this is one case in a million where the seller left off a zero at the end of the lumen rating (so really 180 lm) rather than adding an extra zero like so many generic lights seem to do on amazon.

On second thought, it's probably some fuzzy math where they are stating each LED produces 18 lumens on the datasheet, x 18 LED, would be 324lm if in a lab setting where kept cool and at constant voltage but as implemented, would make sense to arrive at roughly 400mA avg. drain rate for 18 x 18lm LEDs.
I think you may have something there. In actuality I run the lamp at the medium brightness more than the brightest. The brightest is fairly bright. But indeed I think it probably dies after 3 hours at that brightness setting. Maybe 180 lumens. I just compared it to my 130 lumen (at high setting) single cell AAA EDC, they aren't terribly different except that the EDC's beam is much more focused. The Miady lamp's dispersion is considerable and very even, and it's very nice IMO, for those reasons. The light is fairly cool but I like it. I have one over my stove now, the other in the bedroom for reading, which I generally use at the medium setting. I'll use low only if I want some illumination in lieu of darkness.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@mindless1: I'm doing an experiment. I removed the battery and connected USB cable, plugged that into a GAN charger and that into my new KASA energy monitoring plug. The lamp is designed to run off either the battery or USB. The USB charges the cell, but battery removed it's OK to run from USB. Turned on the lamp to 1st (highest) setting and it's drawing 2.90w. Online it says efficiency of lumens/watt of LEDs ranges from 30-90. That would suggest a range of 87 - 260 lumens. I'm inclined to suppose it's emitting ~100 lumens or somewhere not far from that.

Well, this online doesn't seem consitent:

LED technology typically produces 70-100 lumens/watt, which means LEDs are about 5-6 times more efficient at producing light than incandescent bulbs.
Light Source: Luminous Efficacy (Lumens/Watt)
LED: 30-90

Edit: The draw of the Miady lamp on high dropped to 2.22w after 10+ minutes.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0915SJJWF/

Take a look at this one. 650 lumens. If you press the button while looking directly down the barrel, first, you will scream because it is actually painful - for me at least. It will instantly "bleach" the rods in your retina. And it does so, so completely that the after-image persists for 20-30 minutes.

I gave one to friend who does home inspections (and one for moi of course). I'll just say that he was suitably impressed.

It has 4 brightness settings and the lowest one is suitable for searching for things in a theater w/o lighting up the whole room.

Reactions: BoomerD

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0915SJJWF/

Take a look at this one. 650 lumens. If you press the button while looking directly down the barrel, first, you will scream because it is actually painful - for me at least. It will instantly "bleach" the rods in your retina. And it does so, so completely that the after-image persists for 20-30 minutes.

I gave one to friend who does home inspections (and one for moi of course). I'll just say that he was suitably impressed.
A couple days ago I purchased this, which is the first flashlight I'll ever have that's more than a totally rudimentary handheld LED light (I've bought dozens of those, mostly single cell AAA EDCs). This terrific video was the impetuous for my ordering this, which comes with a 5000mah 21700 battery (if you choose that buy option) for an extra $4.:

Reactions: Charmonium

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
When I ordered 21700 batteries from liion.com, they sent me a free flashlight that uses both 21700 and 18650 batteries. It's not the best or brightest...but it's more than sufficient for taking the dog out at night. It's bright enough I can see the glowing eyes of deer and coyotes 2 houses away.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Speaking of flashlights, why is it that every damn LED flashlight now has those stupid strobe modes you have to cycle through. I just want an on and off button that turns on and and off, that's it! No stupid modes. Maybe a separate switch for brightness but honestly not even that, just give me on and off.

I do eventually want to get into making my own flashlights so I can make them a simple on/off. A 18650 cell fits perfectly in a 3/4" copper pipe, so that would make a good start for the handle. It's about every other part I'm not too sure how to make, like the lens or the end cap. I don't really have machining tools.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Speaking of flashlights, why is it that every damn LED flashlight now has those stupid strobe modes you have to cycle through. I just want an on and off button that turns on and and off, that's it! No stupid modes. Maybe a separate switch for brightness but honestly not even that, just give me on and off.

I do eventually want to get into making my own flashlights so I can make them a simple on/off. A 18650 cell fits perfectly in a 3/4" copper pipe, so that would make a good start for the handle. It's about every other part I'm not too sure how to make, like the lens or the end cap. I don't really have machining tools.

Yeah, I don't get it either. On/Off, hi/lo is all I need or want. I don't need/want strobe or SOS.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I imagine you can configure things as you want with the Wurkkos TS21. It's pretty advanced but you don't have to use the extensive feature set by any means. Check the video posted above. It's coming now with either Anduril 1.0 or Anduril 2.0. That's pretty sophisticated, but you don't have to use it. In fact, IIRC, it's not there in the Anduril 2.0 version unless you set it up for it, out of the box it's simpler.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

It would be WAY more bother than it is worth, just to make a 1 x 18650 light in the typical form factor. You can simply buy a light and replace the driver pill or whole reflector/LED/driver assembly to get a different UI, or as mentioned below, get one that's programmable.

Besides youtube videos, candlepowerforum and budgetlightforum are two great resources to find out more about particular lights, including drop-in mods available as well as DIY mods at more of a component level.

There are lots of lights that come on constant, don't strobe unless you fast/half-press the switch to cycle through modes, and some with mode memory so always comes on with the last mode used, and then there's the more programmable ones where you pick which modes it has available and the order in which they get cycled through.

I happened upon a pretty good deal for a pocket/toolbox work light, doesn't cycle through strobe unless you hold the button an extra long time, versatile in being able to use both 14500 and AA cells but is much brighter with the 14500. $10 after 5% coupon:

I have the older version of its big brother, the N9 which takes 1x 18650, and use it quite a bit, though the older version was half the price, before they added the USB charging (which is built into the batttery not the flashlight itself) and included a battery and cable. Now getting a little expensive for a 1000lm light, while I never USB recharge the lights I have with that feature instead of just swapping in a different, already charged cell.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It would be WAY more bother than it is worth, just to make a 1 x 18650 light in the typical form factor. You can simply buy a light and replace the driver pill or whole reflector/LED/driver assembly to get a different UI, or as mentioned below, get one that's programmable.

There are lots of lights that come on constant, don't strobe unless you fast/half-press the switch to cycle through modes, and some with mode memory so always comes on with the last mode used, and then there's the more programmable ones where you pick which modes it has available and the order in which they get cycled through.

I happened upon a pretty good deal for a pocket/toolbox work light, doesn't cycle through strobe unless you hold the button an extra long time, versatile in being able to use both 14500 and AA cells but is much brighter with the 14500. $10 after 5% coupon:

I have the older version of its big brother, the N9, and use it quite a bit, though the older version was half the price, before they added the USB charging and included a battery and cable. Now getting a little expensive for a 1000lm light.

That Nicron looks good. But I have no 14500 batteries and a bunch of 18650 batteries that aren't being used!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
That Nicron looks good. But I have no 14500 batteries and a bunch of 18650 batteries that aren't being used!
1664302442293.jpeg

Speaking of 18650's not being used:
Bought this at Walmart on clearance for $4 before covid.

Still unopened.
Notice the dust on it and i blew off alot of dust before taking the pic :eek:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
View attachment 68282

Still unopened.
I have 5-6 not being used I think, real good Fenix. I got them to power claw-grip portable lights but am using USB + adapters to run them, so the batteries are just sitting around. Already have two 18650 flashlights but use them very lightly and almost never have to change the battery.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Well that's weird... in the time between my last post and now, Amazon has made the 18650 powered, Nicron N9 a Lightning Deal at $25 - 5% coupon. I'd pay $24 for it if I had to do over, is the only small yet bright, light I have with the utility of the swivel head. It swivels not just to 90' but any angle in between so can be aimed at things easily.

One drawback compared to the smaller N7 is that while both can have the pocket clip reverse mounted, the N9 is too heavy for use on a ball cap as a headlight. I can do it, but the cap wants to fall off, lol.

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001

Still unopened.

I would open them and check voltage. Below a certain voltage, chargers will reject them as they become damaged and potentially dangerous. Charge them to about 3.8V for storage.