14 Facts About Wal-Mart That Will Blow Your Mind

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Be a man. Free cents is a rot of money. You save free cents here then you go to 34 praces and save free cents at each and then you have 1 dorra. Then you go to the dorra store and then you can buy somefing erse. then you can serr this item from the dorra store on ebay fo free dorras, then you have 2 dorras extra. It's rike a perpeturar money machine. You can have unrimited money. Be a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAy5h13_h08
Yes, but can it ever add up to tree-fiddy?

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
I'm curious to study what would happen to the US economy if Walmart workers unionized and Walmart had to pay a living wage of > $20/hr.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm glad I'm not lucky like you, I love saving money and Walmart does the best job there.

meh, pretty sure it's local laws preventing walmart anyway, too expensive around here. 500 square miles and just over 1 million residents and this county has 1 walmart.

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
everyone should grow their own bananas. That would really be sticking it to the walton family. They would end up being only as rich as bill gates and warren buffett combined. I would feel sorry for them then.

Oddly enough, bananas are one of the few tropical fruits we don't grow at the house. Trees are rather messy and attract varmints. Might still plant one at some point. This weekend it's planting two Dragon fruit cacti.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't like Walmart, and the one near me is expensive for a "discount" store. It's 15 walking minutes away though, so it's convenient for some things. I was able to walk up there after a storm knocked down a bunch of wood to get a chainsaw($150), since the wood broke the windshield in my Jeep.

The one near me is probably top of the line as far as customer/employee quality goes, but that's not a high bar to beat. At least there's no horror shows like other Walmarts.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I thought ATOT had a better understanding of retail stats. Guess not.

lol, no. We have a lot of folks that throw out "facts" about business/es who have no idea what they are talking about.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
btw, bananas are the cheapest product by weight in a grocery store.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
REPORT:
emot_laughing_smiley.gif

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
What are you saving for? Anything particular?

Retirement, vacations, upgrades to my car. And just in general I like to not spend more than I have to on things I buy. Even if I wasn't specifically saving for something, I'd go to Walmart because I save about $300 a month on the shit I buy there over any other store. I understand there are people who go out of their way to overspend, but I'm not one of them. When I bought my car last year I shopped around to get the best deal, I like Wally World because it saves me money always, and I don't have to waste time shopping around. It's a win/win.

in ATOT terms, that $300 a month is enough for a few hookers and some blow.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
No, that was ITEM 2 on the list, not "2.35"

Item 2 says that 35 million people shop at Walmart every day, as much as the population of Canada, eh.

Yes, yes it does. Maybe next time I'll read a little closer.

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
He thinks a Mustang is a muscle car too.

You really need new material, I know it will be tough with a brain that often makes up words and sentences that make little to no sense. Maybe you could say you fucked my mom, that's not often used....but also spell your words like a teenage girl so you sound cooler....brah

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
walmart's acceptance rate is lower than harvard's?

You have to imagine that people applying there are probably filling out dozens of applications at the same time. Everywhere from McDonalds to Subway to Target and K-Mart, grocery stores, convenience stores, janitorial services, you name it. Given that they're equally qualified for 90% of those jobs, I'm sure many find some other minimum wage job before Walmart calls them.

May 13, 2009
Retirement, vacations, upgrades to my car. And just in general I like to not spend more than I have to on things I buy. Even if I wasn't specifically saving for something, I'd go to Walmart because I save about $300 a month on the shit I buy there over any other store. I understand there are people who go out of their way to overspend, but I'm not one of them. When I bought my car last year I shopped around to get the best deal, I like Wally World because it saves me money always, and I don't have to waste time shopping around. It's a win/win.

in ATOT terms, that $300 a month is enough for a few hookers and some blow.
$300 a month? I thought I had read you were single with roommates?
I doubt I could save $50 a month and I'm a homeowner that is married. I'm also willing to lose that $50 a month (which I doubt I do as I buy in bulk at costco) just to not support a sorry ass business like wal mart.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I doubt I could save $50 a month and I'm a homeowner that is married. I'm also willing to lose that $50 a month (which I doubt I do as I buy in bulk at costco) just to not support a sorry ass business like wal mart.

I'm single. I guarantee I save a minimum of $20 per week on groceries alone. You won't find any savings in dairy, produce or meats, but pretty much anything packaged nets you savings over the big box grocery store down the street.

It's actually pretty amazing how _much_ the difference is for many products. The local (Denver) whole wheat tortillas that I buy are $1.78 at Walmart, $2.39 at Albertson's. Sriracha is something like $2.78 at Walmart, $4.49 at Albertsons. $1.78 vs $2.79 for a can of baked beans. Geisha smoked baby clams or oysters are $1.58 vs. $2.99. Cereal, breakfast bars, snack foods, coffee, condiments and on and on ... are all significantly less. Virtually all paper products are less, as are cleaning products. Toiletries like toothpaste, soap and shaving cream.

I wouldn't go to Walmart to buy shoes or a sofa, but for the sh*t I buy and consume every single day of my life, the savings are significant.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I'm one of the lucky 10%. Closest walmart is 29 minutes away. Two targets and a costco within 10-15 minutes though...

I have 4 Wal-marts, two Targets and a Costo within 15 minutes.

Expand to 30 minutes and I have 5 Wal-marts, 3 Targets, and two Costcos.

And 20 Starbucks.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Am single, but I eat a lot and buy a lot of stuff. The prices are crazy, I save about $50 a week there in groceries alone. But to be fair I eat about 3x as much as probably anyone on here.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Walmart prices are fine, but it's really just the fact that they have everything under one roof. Canadian Tire is essentially the same thing here -- everything is probably made in China too.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm single. I guarantee I save a minimum of $20 per week on groceries alone. You won't find any savings in dairy, produce or meats, but pretty much anything packaged nets you savings over the big box grocery store down the street.

It's actually pretty amazing how _much_ the difference is for many products. The local (Denver) whole wheat tortillas that I buy are $1.78 at Walmart, $2.39 at Albertson's. Sriracha is something like $2.78 at Walmart, $4.49 at Albertsons. $1.78 vs $2.79 for a can of baked beans. Geisha smoked baby clams or oysters are $1.58 vs. $2.99. Cereal, breakfast bars, snack foods, coffee, condiments and on and on ... are all significantly less. Virtually all paper products are less, as are cleaning products. Toiletries like toothpaste, soap and shaving cream.

I wouldn't go to Walmart to buy shoes or a sofa, but for the sh*t I buy and consume every single day of my life, the savings are significant.

The Walmart near me is solidly in the midrange for pricing. The poor selection, and Walmart "ambiance" make it a bad deal. I get most of what I need from BigLots and Aldi, and premium stuff from Wegmans, or one of the higher end stores. With those combined, I get better food at the same or a lower price than Walmart, and less aggravation.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have 4 Wal-marts, two Targets and a Costo within 15 minutes.

Expand to 30 minutes and I have 5 Wal-marts, 3 Targets, and two Costcos.

And 20 Starbucks.

Within 30 minutes there are probably 100+ starbucks...

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
Walmart doesn't have price advantage anymore. The grocery stores here often are actually cheaper, cleaner and with less lines

Plus Walmart has a huge out of stock problem which has been well documented in the print news media many time. I experience it all the time. Often times the same things will stay out of stock for two weeks or more. If I go there to buy 10 items, usually find only 6 or 7.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...wal-mart-empty-shelves-for-target-costco.html

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/20...ers-complain-bare-shelves-are-widespread.html

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Walmart doesn't have price advantage anymore.

Not here. It's not even close.

We have four other grocery chains in town and I shop at all of them occasionally for various items. Other than the areas I mentioned above - dairy, produce and meats - it's seldom that the others' _sale_ prices can compete with Walmart's normal prices. Typically, I'll see something on sale that I've just bought over at Walmart and it's still more expensive.

It gives me a chuckle, sometimes. One grocer is less than 1/4 mile from a Walmart Supercenter and they put dozens of different items on sale every week, yet many of them are _still_ 50% more expensive. It's like they're oblivious.

Last edited: