13th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season race

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What names should we use for the race?

• Cancerkillers vs Tumorerasers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beowolf vs Grendel

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Curesadors vs Tumornadors

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Markfw vs EveryOneElse

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Limericks. vs Haikus

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Just pick a room closest to the breaker panel and have a 240v 50 amp sub-panel installed with a half-dozen new 120v circuits in conduit running around the room. Probably cost you $600, and you would have 100 amps of 120v in that room alone...12,000 (max) watts enough? If not, the existing outlets would give you another 2400 watts (max). :D

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Just pick a room closest to the breaker panel and have a 240v 50 amp sub-panel installed with a half-dozen new 120v circuits in conduit running around the room. Probably cost you $600, and you would have 100 amps of 120v in that room alone...12,000 (max) watts enough? If not, the existing outlets would give you another 2400 watts (max). :D
I have 120 amp panel, and used all but 20 amp of it. Also, I have to have the incoming line replaced ($8000 or more) before I can add any sub-panels.

I am just out of juice. I could remove the stove, and have 2 120v circuits instead (a little drastic) or put computers in the shop (a lot of dust and hot in the summer)

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
ok, Need help. As par for the course I think I goofed. When setting up fah it ask for
username and key, which I have, but I used the wrong name, used Lane42 by mistake
which is not my f@h username. now nothing happens.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
ok, Need help. As par for the course I think I goofed. When setting up fah it ask for
username and key, which I have, but I used the wrong name, used Lane42 by mistake
which is not my f@h username. now nothing happens.
Use fahcontrol, and in configure/identity, simply change the name.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
That's the problem, I install f@h control and it installs but nothing happens.
how do I start it. on linux

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I have got nine circuits with 16 A breakers in my apartment (at 230 V). I don't know how much of that I can really use in total. Realistically, only a small fraction, because about 3,000 W are plenty to keep the entire apartment well heated when it is 0°C / 32 °F outside. (Currently it's warmer here.) And I am at >0.27 €/kWh including taxes.

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
@lane42, on several Linuxes the client is checked/ started/ restarted/ stopped by:
sudo service FAHClient status
sudo service FAHClient start
sudo service FAHClient restart
sudo service FAHClient stop

Is "sudo service FAHClient status" showing the client being up or down?

On Linux Mint at least, the client configuration file is located at "/etc/fahclient/config.xml". On a dual GPU cruncher of mine, it looks like this:
XML:
<config>
  <!-- Folding Core -->
  <core-priority v='low'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <extra-core-args v='-nice 0'/>

<!-- HTTP Server -->
  <allow v='127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24'/>

<!-- Network -->
  <proxy v=':8080'/>

<!-- Remote Command Server -->
  <command-allow-no-pass v='127.0.0.1 192.168.0.0/24'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='full'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <machine-id v='an_ID_which_I_gave_this_box_but_doesnt_really_matter'/>
  <passkey v='********************************'/>
  <team v='198'/>
  <user v='xii5ku'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='GPU'/>
  <slot id='0' type='GPU'/>
</config>
Of course the passkey isn't asterisks but my hexadecimal key.

The command-allow-no-pass element allows the localhost and all other hosts in the 192.168.0.XYZ network to control this client by means of the FAHControl GUI or "FAHClient --send-command XYZ" etc., without having to give a password. On systems which have a "desktop firewall" installed, this may additionally require a firewall rule which allows inbound traffic to port 36330 on the client PC.

The file should not be edited, or only while the client is down:
sudo nano /etc/fahclient/config.xml

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
found it :) cpu's going no gpu's. system info say's
failed to open dynamic library, some files are needed.
I know next to zero about Linux so iam gona have to sit
this one out guys :( sorry

Markfw

May 16, 2002
See my script above. Namely, open up a terminal, an copy (control-c) and then paste (right-click and paste) the below, answering prompts as needed.:

wget http://launchpadlibrarian.net/109052632/python-support_1.0.15_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i python-support_1.0.15_all.deb

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt-get install nvidia-387 (or if it appears on the linix home page drivers list, you can do it from there.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-opencl-icd-387

sudo apt-get install libcuda1-387

sudo apt install ocl-icd-opencl-dev

sudo apt-get -y install python-gnome2 mesa-common-dev freeglut3-dev nvidia-settings gedit

cd /var/lib/fahclient

sudo wget http://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/public/GPUs.txt

Then fire up fahcontrol and add the GPU client(will show under education in the menu), and maybe also the remote access by adding ,192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255 to the two IP places

Then add the GPU client

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Thanks Mark but all that looks Chinese to me. I did it once
when I setup seti , got lucky and only had to reinstall Linux 3 times
from mistakes :) heck i'd be hard pressed to even find Terminal now.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
New team name suggestion. Right now if you add everyone except usandthem to the other team, we will both have about 33 million production. So it would be "Markfw and Mods vs everyone else".

Edit: and add ken_g6 to my team

Reactions: Ken g6

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I like that too, I guess.

What I don't like is, I'm only getting 220K-240K PPD, with TWO cards? I thought that ONE card would produce that sort of PPD. Maybe I need to kick that box and restart it.

Edit: Box has a G4560 in it, and a single stick of 8GB DDR4-2400, and two RX 570 cards. Should I remove the CPU folding slot on that box, maybe that's holding it back? Or do I need dual-channel RAM?

And my main Ryzen rig, blue-screened earlier, and then rebooted or something when the monitor was turned to another rig. Not sure what's going on there, it is slightly overclocked, but it's on water, it shouldn't be overheating. I wasn't even mining or folding, when it BSODed and then rebooted.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
CPU folding on anything less than 24 threads per slot is a terrible waste:
  • Smaller slots receive a less well paying WU type. (Edit: 24 threads/slot is the minimum to receive the better WUs which I remember, but I may remember wrong or may be out of date.)
  • The low quick return bonus of slow slots give worse PPD/$ and PPD/W.

For each GPU folding slot, there should be one spare CPU thread (or better yet: spare core).

Edit: GPU folding benefits from RAM bandwidth or/and cache. F@H PPD were seen to go down, not dramatically, but very noticeably, if a RAM and cache hungry application runs in parallel on the CPU.

F@H performance discussion thread: Getting the most PPD out of your hardware for F@H

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005

My linux mint 19 dual 1080 box had a similar problem which I had never seen before to my recollection. I installed the FAH software and I couldn't get the gpus to run even if I tried to add GPU slots manually. I finally tracked down the problem to an extra client option that the installer added which was "gpu false".

Open up FAHControl, then click on configure and then click on the expert tab. You'll see a list of extra client options. If you see "gpu" with a value of "false" then either highlight that line and remove it or edit it and change the value to "true". Save the changes and then reboot the computer or restart fahclient.

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Ok, made the change. Now don't laugh, but how do you restart the client:flushed:
I exit out of control but it still runs, so I reset the computer but the change
didn't take.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Ok, made the change. Now don't laugh, but how do you restart the client:flushed:
I exit out of control but it still runs, so I reset the computer but the change
didn't take.

Restarting the client: sudo service FAHClient restart

If you restarted the computer, that should do the trick.

If not try adding the gpu slots manually.

In FAHControl, go to configure then click on the slots tab and then choose "add" and then click on the radio button to the left of the GPU section. Then save and close and then you should see a WU download and start. Repeat this for the second GPU.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Put me in Coach. PPD ~1.2m. Will be VARIABLE though when I am home to monitor machines. Typical Folding and upload errors for me as usual.....

Reactions: Ken g6 and biodoc

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for December 4. I have renamed and restructured the two teams according to Mark's suggestion and thus the race is between ...
Mark&Mods and All_the_others.

Here are the racers' stats:

30lnlue.jpg

Here is the summary of the daily production of the two teams:

2hcl37t.jpg

We will soon hit a ppd of 50 M, I hope!

2n1b9tg.jpg

See how nice the team's production increases!

w6yyjt.jpg

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OH, sigh. Just as I get out of the starting gate, I had to shut down my two G4560 boxes, each with dual RX 570 cards, as I needed to pull the DDR4 RAM to put into a box I just sold someone.

I have a 2x4GB (8GB) kit of DDR4-2800. Will F@H with twin GPUs, and probably I'll disable the CPU folding, run on only 4GB of single-channel RAM? Even if I set XMP for DDR4-2800 speed? It doesn't look pretty, I'm short on DDR4 RAM for those boxes, and a few others besides.

I need to re-do my main Ryzen boxes, will move the 8GB RX 570 cards into those boxes, and move those boxes into new ATX cases with dual intake fans. Probably remove the 120mm AIO WC kit and move back to air-cooling. So, in the end, I'll have two Ryzen boxes with RX 570 8GB cards, 32GB RAM, and stock fans. Then I can move the two 4GB RX 570 cards, one each, into my G4560 rigs with 240GB SSDs, and throw in the only "spare" DDR4 I have, one DDR4-2800 4GB DIMM for each. Then I can fire them all back up, I guess. Should be fun and fine. Might take a couple of days to get everything done and up to speed though.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
OH, sigh. Just as I get out of the starting gate, I had to shut down my two G4560 boxes, each with dual RX 570 cards, as I needed to pull the DDR4 RAM to put into a box I just sold someone.

I have a 2x4GB (8GB) kit of DDR4-2800. Will F@H with twin GPUs, and probably I'll disable the CPU folding, run on only 4GB of single-channel RAM? Even if I set XMP for DDR4-2800 speed? It doesn't look pretty, I'm short on DDR4 RAM for those boxes, and a few others besides.

I need to re-do my main Ryzen boxes, will move the 8GB RX 570 cards into those boxes, and move those boxes into new ATX cases with dual intake fans. Probably remove the 120mm AIO WC kit and move back to air-cooling. So, in the end, I'll have two Ryzen boxes with RX 570 8GB cards, 32GB RAM, and stock fans. Then I can move the two 4GB RX 570 cards, one each, into my G4560 rigs with 240GB SSDs, and throw in the only "spare" DDR4 I have, one DDR4-2800 4GB DIMM for each. Then I can fire them all back up, I guess. Should be fun and fine. Might take a couple of days to get everything done and up to speed though.

o_O I'm glad you have a handle on ^......I'm certainly confused!!! GL though, sounds like the ball under the cup trick to me. :)

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for joining, Howdy2u2! You are in the stats!

I will be running the PG challenge (like Ken) when it comes up with my GPUs that are the most capable. Not that I have a ton of GPUs, but I'm just putting that out there.

Finally got the Linux box to fold:

Linux Finally Folding.PNG

@petrusbroder , pretty sure I need to bump up my output numbers..........if I run 2 GPUs I'm closer to 2.2m, If I add my DD I'm closer to~5m PPD. It's been so long I have no clue what I actually produce, I feel like I'm cheating running extra GPUs in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: petrusbroder