Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
hey macbaine, what are you, 12? "Owned"...duh...gee, you are cool...you 'owned' someone

the poll should say "in your opinion, is golf a sport?"

In my opinion, golf isn't any more of a sport than pool, darts, or bowling...and like I said, professional golfers are a bunch of rich kids who grew up playing golf...I'm not saying that they aren't talented or skilled at what they do, just that to me, its more of a contest like shooting pool....

as for the other dumb 4ss who said if you practice at baseball you will get better as well....and the guy who says DH's in baseball don't do anything......you can practice your whole life in a batting cage and still never be a good hitter....there is a MONUMENTAL difference in hitting a 95mph fastball and trying to hit a golf ball, sitting on a tee, where you want it to go.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
Originally posted by: NeoV
hey macbaine, what are you, 12? "Owned"...duh...gee, you are cool...you 'owned' someone

the poll should say "in your opinion, is golf a sport?"

In my opinion, golf isn't any more of a sport than pool, darts, or bowling...and like I said, professional golfers are a bunch of rich kids who grew up playing golf...I'm not saying that they aren't talented or skilled at what they do, just that to me, its more of a contest like shooting pool....

as for the other dumb 4ss who said if you practice at baseball you will get better as well....and the guy who says DH's in baseball don't do anything......you can practice your whole life in a batting cage and still never be a good hitter....there is a MONUMENTAL difference in hitting a 95mph fastball and trying to hit a golf ball, sitting on a tee, where you want it to go.

your'e getting dumber by the post. You can practive hitting golf balls your whole life and never hit one 300 yards. Pros spray off terrible shots all the time. It takes just as much skill to blast a 300 yard drive center cut than it does to hit a 95mph fastball.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
And in baseball you don't have to play your foul balls. And a broken bat bloop is just as good as a screaming line drive. And you can reach base without ever even swinging. In golf you don't get to keep swinging until you hit one fair. And pop ups are not nearly as good as a ball well struck. And you need to put the ball in the hole, the pitcher can't walk it there for you.

Comparing baseball to golf is apples to oranges, it's an asine argument. The only thing in common is hitting a ball with a stick. The simple-minded like to make the golf/baseball comparison, but it's not even close to being accurate. Sports are physical competitions, golf and baseball are both sports. Chess is not because there's no physical element and flying model airplanes is not because it's neither physical nor competitive.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: gistech1978
Originally posted by: gistech1978
Oh... what's this?

NBA History: The Game

Somebody just got owned.

Whats this?

USGA never calls it sport in this definition.
sorry youre wrong.
its not considered a sport. period.

And you don't think I could find a site that doesn't call basketball a sport, but rather a game? My god man... The original site you linked to called it a sports organization and a game, you chose to ignore the sport part. I linked to a site that called basketball a game. Does that mean it isn't a sport?

Why don't you just take your owned little ass and walk out that door. It's a sport. Period.

can you find a site that is the offical sanctioned body of the NBA where basketball is NEVER called a sport?
no, you cannot. the USGA is the sanctioned body of the game of golf. they never once call it a sport on the USGA or IGF sites.
so answer my question about the olympics. type in golf olympics and you get speical olympics, something which im sure youre well versed in. the USGA doenst consider golf a sport. im through with you.

How about I own you twice in the same post?

Link directly from the USGA site you linked.

The International Golf Federation (IGF) has sent an application to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) requesting that golf be placed on the program of the 2008 Olympic Games.

the IGF is seeking a return of the sport to the most important athletic event in the world

Golf is one of the few sports where people of all ability levels can play a fair and even match

You done yet?

:beer: nicely done