Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
It requires a cart like football requires a pitcher full of gatoraid. In the pros, carts aren't legal, they gotta walk it. And it's just as much of a sport as baseball.

waylman

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2003
golf is actually the ultimate sport. You can get drunk, drive around, and flirt with beer cart chicks.
Seriously though, golf is very difficult to get good at. Try it for yourself if you dont believe me.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Golf is a sport... baseball is a sport... racing is a sport... a lot of things are sports.

ntrights

Mar 10, 2002
Sure, Its a sport as much as snooker (pool) or chess but still it's a sport where the mental strength is more important then the physical. Good golfers are useally good in Pool/snooker/biljard also but not necesserly good in Chess though :D

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: gistech1978
its considered a game
not a sport.

even the PGA's official site never calls it a sport.
PGA

Maybe you missed the FIRST LINE

The PGA of America is the largest working sports organization in the world

you apparently missed where it says

"making the game accessible to a world of golfers"

and finish the sentence,

"The PGA of America is the largest working sports organization in the world, comprised of more than 28,000 dedicated men and women promoting the game of golf to everyone, everywhere"

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Sport (spôrt, sprt)

1)
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2) An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3) An active pastime; recreation.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
its considered a game
not a sport.

even the PGA's official site never calls it a sport.
PGA

Maybe you missed the FIRST LINE

The PGA of America is the largest working sports organization in the world

you apparently missed where it says

"making the game accessible to a world of golfers"

and finish the sentence,

"The PGA of America is the largest working sports organization in the world, comprised of more than 28,000 dedicated men and women promoting the game of golf to everyone, everywhere"

Game is used in the same sense that it is used when talking about any other sport. The GAME of Basketball, the GAME of football, there's a basketball GAME today, there's a baseball GAME tomorrow.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
not to take anything away from golf, which I enjoy playing, but to say it is as much a sport as baseball is - come on!

Anyone can play golf - all you have to do is practice...much like pool, darts, bowling, etc, etc...and yes, the pro's have to walk, blah blah blah..

pro golfers are all - yes, I said all - wealthy kids who grew up around golf courses, started playing golf at a young age, and have been spoiled, pampered brats their entire lives - there may be one or two exceptions to the rule, but for 99% of them its true - its a rich man's game, not a sport

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: NeoV
not to take anything away from golf, which I enjoy playing, but to say it is as much a sport as baseball is - come on!

Anyone can play golf - all you have to do is practice...much like pool, darts, bowling, etc, etc...and yes, the pro's have to walk, blah blah blah..

pro golfers are all - yes, I said all - wealthy kids who grew up around golf courses, started playing golf at a young age, and have been spoiled, pampered brats their entire lives - there may be one or two exceptions to the rule, but for 99% of them its true - its a rich man's game, not a sport

Too bad ignorance doesn't have any market value, or you'd be one of those rich men.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Wow! IT IS A FVCKING SPORT YOU DIPSH!TS!

I am getting sick of this idiots saying "OMG it isnt a sport, its game; or; it isnt physical enough".

STFU please.

And I don't like golf at all, but it is a sport..just as much as ping pong or pool is, but way more.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
So it's not a sport because rich people play it?

To get good at baseball, all you have to do is practice. Unless you're the pitcher or catcher, you spend 45% of the time sitting down, 40% of the time waiting for the ball to come to you (especially if you're an outfielder), 5% of the time swinging a stick, and 10% of the time running to a ball so you can throw it. A maximum of 10 seconds of exertion is occuring at any given time. Only the pitchers and catchers get a real workout. The designated hitters do damned near nothing. Yet noone ever questions baseball as a sport.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Oh... what's this?

NBA History: The Game

Somebody just got owned.

Whats this?

USGA never calls it sport in this definition.
sorry youre wrong.
its not considered a sport. period.

And you don't think I could find a site that doesn't call basketball a sport, but rather a game? My god man... The original site you linked to called it a sports organization and a game, you chose to ignore the sport part. I linked to a site that called basketball a game. Does that mean it isn't a sport?

Why don't you just take your owned little ass and walk out that door. It's a sport. Period.