Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
love ikea.

relatively cheap, decently constructed, decent looking.

ikea always makes me think of the friends episode where phoebe pretended she was a masseuse from sweden named ikea.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: werk
Cheap and flimsy furniture. They're OK for stuff like rugs, lamps, everyday glassware, media storage, etc.

agreed 100%, bought some of their stuff in DC like a table, couch and a few other items because it was cheap and man does it suck.....

I agree. Thankfully in Texas I have the option of buying very similar items at Eurway (www.eurway.com) for abotu the same cost. Personally I think that furniture should not be bought on the grounds of price if it means it looks like crap. You are going to be sleeping in that bed for years, why save $100? Although I like their styling, it is what I call 'temporary furniture.'

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's impossible to find your way out of the store. They set it up in such a way that to leave, you have to walk through the WHOLE store. Then you come out nowhere near where you went in, so you have to walk around the building to get to your car. I hate that place.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Originally posted by: beerI agree. Thankfully in Texas I have the option of buying very similar items at Eurway (www.eurway.com) for abotu the same cost. Personally I think that furniture should not be bought on the grounds of price if it means it looks like crap. You are going to be sleeping in that bed for years, why save $100? Although I like their styling, it is what I call 'temporary furniture.'

Yes, temporary furniture is the best description IMHO, while I really don't like what we have now (The couch is just cheap and the cover doesn't fit right, the Dining table is ok but cheaply made and the chairs are pretty bad, and the end table is just garbage) I do wish I had one near me when I attended college as that would have been perfect for a few things....

I think if you are moving from apt to apt, in college, or just had a first child and have no intention of having another and cannot find baby hand me downs anywhere then IKEA is a good choice, but for a house you are better off spending more for one of the bigger and better places, or personally I am going to just spend on Ethan allen, Thomasville or something when they have their big sale and 0% financing for a few years....I also heard you can order really nice furniture from NC or something for cheap prices....

good luck.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I like IKEA. I have purchased a number of things from them including a coffee table, large bookcase, and a computer desk. Putting it together is a hassle and some of the materials are not that great, but what you end up with is a nice-looking, functional piece of furniture at an extremely affordable price. As long as you don't go for their really cheap stuff, overall it seems pretty solid to me.

However, I would probably not buy something like a couch or bed from them. Then the cheaper materials might really cause you problems.

Keego

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
some of the stuff looks ok, but the store is a black hole.

I agree, my feet hurt like hell after my GF drags me through that store :(

I get bored 1/2 way through it. I swear, I'm like a 12 year old kid when it comes to shopping. Give me something to play with and I'll shut up.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: dartworth
Originally posted by: dfi
Pretty good furniture for college students or newly grads. Good stylish apartment furniture. But if you're trying to furnish a house you probably won't find too many gems there.

dfi

Exactly...most people "outgrow" IKEA:)

i dunno, i love ikea. i get made fun of by my roommates because of it too :p but i would want to furnish most of my house with it. No, it's not sturdy for LOONG time use, but that gives me the option to change things around (assuming i had funds).

but it's more the styling than anything. at most furniture stores, i have yet to find anything that is decent. Scan maybe, but they are freakin expensive.

The only other downside to ikea is their instructions are... lacking words :)

Haps

Nov 22, 2001
I have quite a bit of Ikea stuff. They are great for all kinds of knick knacks and kitchen stuff. Glasses and strainers and stuff. I have an ikea entertainment centre because it was cheaper to buy it from them then I could have built it myself. I have an ikea bed in my guestroom but I have never slept in it so I don't know. I have 2 ikea couches which are great. Best couches I have ever had. My entire kitchen and bathroom cabinets are all Ikea and I was impressed with that. It's the same as most of the local companies sell but it's much cheaper and the hard ware like hinges and drawer slides is much much better from Ikea.

I disagree with people saying Ikea is cheap and flimsy stuff. Obviously you get what you pay for. If you pay $300 for a couch it's going to be crappy. But find a $300 couch elsewhere and it will be the same. But some of their other stuff is quite nice. Not all of their couches are made crappy. Just like not every desk, table, chair or whatever is crappy. It all depends on the model. Saying their stuff is crappy and flimsy because of a table you bought is like saying Chevy makes slow and crappy cars because all you ever drove was a cavalier.

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001
for temporary living space, like an apartment, it is great, but for your own home you are better off buying quality stuff that isn't particle baord.