10k steps 3x/week didn't lower my cholesterol

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i've been wearing a fitbit and get at least 10k steps 3x/week.
just had my annual physical/blood work (fasting).

cholesterol actually went up. :(
good cholesterol (hdl) went up a little. (65)
bad cholesterol (ldl) went up alot (40pts) to 170. :eek:

so looks like i'm back to the treadmill 10min/day at 6mph (10min mile) for at least 3x/week.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Add resistance training. Any kind you want! It helps.

my cholesterol sucks, but with exercise and a statin it’s down to low 200’s, half what it can be

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
i've been wearing a fitbit and get at least 10k steps 3x/week.
just had my annual physical/blood work (fasting).

cholesterol actually went up. :(
good cholesterol (hdl) went up a little. (65)
bad cholesterol (ldl) went up alot (40pts) to 170. :eek:

so looks like i'm back to the treadmill 10min/day at 6mph (10min mile) for at least 3x/week.

1) What does your diet look like? Try to incorporate some oatmeal with some berries. 1/2 cup a day should help.
2) What kind of steps are you taking? Are you slow walking, or are you fast walking. There is a big difference between the two you know.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Serious question. If you didn't fast for a cholesterol test would the results show higher or lower levels? My recent test showed my cholesterol lowered but I forgot to fast and yes I did inform them of that fact.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Serious question. If you didn't fast for a cholesterol test would the results show higher or lower levels? My recent test showed my cholesterol lowered but I forgot to fast and yes I did inform them of that fact.
No idea, they just wouldn’t do my blood draw if I didn’t fast

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1) What does your diet look like? Try to incorporate some oatmeal with some berries. 1/2 cup a day should help.
2) What kind of steps are you taking? Are you slow walking, or are you fast walking. There is a big difference between the two you know.
diet has been the same.
whatever i want + a salad for balance.

i have been eating less fruit in the past couple of months before my blood test.
I used to eat a banana everyday but i've been traveling alot the last 2 months.
when i travel, i forget to eat fruit.
guess fruit makes a BIG difference?

regular speed (slow?) walking steps. doesnt increase my heart rate.
thought it didnt matter as long as you make 10k?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
diet has been the same.
whatever i want + a salad for balance.

i have been eating less fruit in the past couple of months before my blood test.
I used to eat a banana everyday but i've been traveling alot the last 2 months.
when i travel, i forget to eat fruit.
guess fruit makes a BIG difference?

If you're traveling, it's likely you're eating more processed and unhealthy foods. That makes a difference.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think the 10k steps goal is supposed to be an every day thing, not thrice a week. I think that's a lot for many people living in the US, since we're so car-centric in general.
But even walking at a fast pace on gentle terrain isn't enough to get my heart rate up much, before I got further into my training I could maybe break into the low 120s sometimes that way.
Maybe you could do your treadmill thing and then on the non-treadmill days, hit 10k steps.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Damn. I think you are dealing with a genetic issue.

My wife and I eat the same foods every day we are in our mid and late 60's ( 65 and 67 ). My LDL Cholesterol is about 80 and my HDL is usually about 40 or so. I don't eat a lot of bread but everything else is a free for all.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Get yourself an OGTT to check for insulin resistance; I am inferring that you are doing what you are doing to avoid a heart attack. LDL alone is not necessarily an issue. The inflammation is the other part.
"Whatever I want" is so vague but given the American palate, simple carbohydrates are the most popular foods along with fried foods in vegetable oils.

Fruit is a balancing act between the sugar bomb(and resulting insulin spike) and the potentially valuable other chemicals, including trace ones.

In addition, instead of more exercise, attempt fasting for a couple days or more.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Damn. I think you are dealing with a genetic issue.

My wife and I eat the same foods every day we are in our mid and late 60's ( 65 and 67 ). My LDL Cholesterol is about 80 and my HDL is usually about 40 or so. I don't eat a lot of bread but everything else is a free for all.

genetics play a huge role in this type of stuff. My pops passed down cholesterol that is 350+ . Only rigorous exercise and statins keeps it in low 200. A healthy diet helps, but not as much as so people think. I suspect foods like cheese raise it, but healthy oils don’t seem to.

Reactions: pcgeek11

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
At one point my wife was way up at about 400 even though we eat the same foods and excercise about the same amount. Statin drugs are helping her a lot she is about LDL 200.

Reactions: ch33zw1z
Jul 27, 2020
The fiber in fruits helps a lot. Plus, eating fruit can make you want to eat less in general as the fiber will make you feel fuller. Try eating an apple before bed for a few days before the next test (reduce dinner calories appropriately to account for the apple).

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
My Cholesterol was up to 215 so i decided to start taking fish oil supplements every day. After about six months i had more lab work and my cholesterol dropped to 175 with no other changes in diet or exercise.

I now take it every day along with my other normal supplements.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
My Cholesterol was up to 215 so i decided to start taking fish oil supplements every day. After about six months i had more lab work and my cholesterol dropped to 175 with no other changes in diet or exercise.

I now take it every day along with my other normal supplements.
thx.
what kind of fish oil supplements are you taking?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
genetics play a huge role in this type of stuff. My pops passed down cholesterol that is 350+ . Only rigorous exercise and statins keeps it in low 200. A healthy diet helps, but not as much as so people think. I suspect foods like cheese raise it, but healthy oils don’t seem to.
Bless my Wisconsin heritage, I eat cheese every day and my numbers are great.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Bless my Wisconsin heritage, I eat cheese every day and my numbers are great.

some people be like that. My wife’s family is on one side, her as well. Red meat and ice cream everyday, bloodwork is perfect. Hope our kids get that dna!

p.s. I’ve got buckeye blood in my veins.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
In my humble opinion:

Diet is where you can make bigger differences over exercise. However, genetics can make a bigger difference than both diet and exercise.

Diet:
Cut back on processed foods and limit your consumption of meats (having fish, turkey, or chicken whenever possible). Incorporate more leafy greens as often as possible. Drink water, seltzer, or unsweetened tea (with lemon is great) whenever possible. Eat lower sugar fruits whenever possible (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwis, avocado, grapefruit, and watermelon). Keep your fiber intake up.

Whenever possible limit the amount of hours you eat or drink calories (in example: 10 hours of eating / drinking calories followed by 14 hours of fasting. Even better is: 8 hours of eating / drinking followed by 16 hours of fasting. If possible get down to 6 hours / 18 hours a day or 2 a week.

Exercise:
You'll need to increase your heart rate in order to really get the most benefit from exercise. If your Fitbit doesn't track your heart rate, get something that does. If you are a man, the formula for your maximum heart rate is: 220 - your age. So if you are 20, your maximum heart rate would be 200. 30 years old = 190. Forty years old, your maximum is 180 bears per minutes, etc... For a woman it is a more complicated formula, look it up online. I've attached a chart from my Garmin app that explains what each zone of your heart rate affects your cardiovascular fitness (see attached). If you are below zone 3, you aren't making any improvements. Start off slow and build up to higher zones.

Genetics:
My Girlfriend had done an Ironman a year for 9 years in a row (her mid 40's into her mid 50's). Even during that heavy training schedule, with a clean diet, her cardiologist said she should be on a statin. You can't always outmaneuver genetics. Luckily statins are a good way to control cholesterol. They are tried and true, and even available as a generic. If needed, there is no harm in taking one as prescribed by your doctor.

Lastly, the ratio of HDL to LDL (good to bad cholesterol) is know as triglycerides. If your LDL gets to a good range, but you triglycerides are still out of whack, eat more plant based fats (avocados, nuts, olives, etc) in order to improve your truckers.

Please keep writing back in this thread as things progress and let us know how you are doing!

Good luck and I hope that I was helpful, Ken

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-171246-121.png
    Screenshot_20221102-171246-121.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20221102-171246-121.png
    Screenshot_20221102-171246-121.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: JEDI

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
WRT statins, they affect everyone different. There’s dosage ranges, ask your doctor to start you on lowest dose and see how it goes. You may end up in highest allowed for that statin, but maybe not. It’s a balance

imported_Irse

Feb 6, 2008
I don't think it matters. My doc doesn't have me fast for my cholesterol and glucose test. Results are about the same when I used to fast for my previous doc.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would assume heart rate DOES make a difference. It's my most important metric when I skate (wearing heart rate monitor). The average HR is the one I care the most about.