10k oil changes?

apathy_next2

Jun 15, 2010
I have an 09 accord lx p. I was wondering if they have any oil that lasts around 10k miles and*would*it be advisable to do 10k oil changed? I do 20k miles a year of 70% Highway miles. I'm thinking if I change it myself I can save money and also be a twice a year thing

May 13, 2009
Just change it according to your maintenance minder. My wifes 08 civic goes about 8000 miles before the maintenance light goes off then we change it. That's close enough to 10k

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
just follow your accord's maintenance minder, but make sure you check your oil levels in between to make sure your car isn't burning oil.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I'm doing annual changes on my truck, but I don't drive 20k/yr. I'm using Amsoil Signature synthetic.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-0w-30-signature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AZOQT-EA
You could probably do annual changes with that and the appropriate filter, but I'd want to do a used oil analysis after the first 6 months to check on it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah - I don't expect any issues, but I do sell it so until I've done it myself I err on the side of caution with recommendations.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Use a name brand synthetic and a decent filter, not fram, and 10k should be ok with that much highway driving.

As said check it to make sure you don't need to top it off. I follow the once a month or 1000miles. Also good time to check the air pressure as well.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
You need to top off every 2k, but yes 10k is doable.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
You'd probably have no problems using any synthetic oil to 10K miles. The question is....will your oil filter last that long without bypassing? Some will, some won't.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Typical OCI is now 7500-8000 so 10k isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
I use Royal Purple in my Duramax and run it 10K every time... Oil samples taken have always come back really good except for the time I pee'd in one...:awe: (not really but thought about it)

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Is the filter rated for 10k life? For that long of a distance, keep an eye out for oil levels as you may need to top up, especially for an older vehicle that already burns oil.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Most newer cars with the oil change indicator light are set to come on around 7500-8000. My truck is typically 8k on the nose no matter what my driving habits are.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I do anywhere between 10k-14k mile oil changes. Depends on when the oil monitor triggers. Large pan (7 quarts) so that helps, and also I use a top tier filter.

190k miles still going strong. 2002 Trailblazer.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My grandfather never changed his oil...he just added a quart.

There was an old consumer reports article that stated changes at 7500 miles was just as good as every 3000 miles. I typically go 10k between changes...you're more likely to have other problems take out an engine, but it all depends on how you drive, where you drive (air conditions and how often you change that filter), and of course the vehicle itself.

For major car repairs, I've had more transmission and cooling issues than issues related to motor oil...

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
My 2013 Fusion uses a blend and has a notify sensor that hasn't come on at 8200. From everything I read it's going to be 10k increments.

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just bought a 2011 Tacoma V6 4x4 SR5 with only 21k on it. Just changed the oil at 25k the other day to Mobil 1 full synthetic and an oil filter rated for synthetic oil up to 15000 miles supposedly. I don't know if I want to go THAT long though.

I've seen many reports online and TV that showed the whole 3-5k oil change interval pushed by mechanics and service departments is an absolute scam to generate $$$$.

MiataNC

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2007
Technically Oil doesn't wear out. As long as it remains within temperature tolerances it will last much longer than 10K miles.

That being said oil does get "dirty". Byproducts of combustion and unburned fuel that slip past the pistons/rings before the engine warms up, materials that wear over time (bearing surfaces\etc, and other contaminants will eventually pollute the oil and compromise its ability to lubricate and protect.

Mileage is a "rule of thumb". The owners manual is a good guide, but you should check your oil periodically, and change it when it gets dirty regardless of how many miles have been driven between changes.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Technically Oil doesn't wear out. As long as it remains within temperature tolerances it will last much longer than 10K miles.

That being said oil does get "dirty". Byproducts of combustion and unburned fuel that slip past the pistons/rings before the engine warms up, materials that wear over time (bearing surfaces\etc, and other contaminants will eventually pollute the oil and compromise its ability to lubricate and protect.

Mileage is a "rule of thumb". The owners manual is a good guide, but you should check your oil periodically, and change it when it gets dirty regardless of how many miles have been driven between changes.

Wrong, oil can shear which does wear it out.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilshear.htm

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
OP you can absolutely do this safely as long as you use an oil that is rated for such long mileage, and a quality filter (not Fram, use Wix/NAPA Gold/Carquest Premium, Amsoil Ea, Mobil-1, OE, or other quality filters).

What you should do first however is take an oil sample (properly) from your current oil run at the end of its oil life when you change it, and send it in for analysis. This will tell you whether you have anything going wrong in your engine that would make running such a long OCI inadvisable. For instance, many people have coolant leaks and never know it. Running a long OCI with acid building up in your engine wouldn't be a good thing.

So, you'd:

1.a.) Change oil and filter to long OCI capable oil and filter.

1.b.) When draining out oil, take sample.

2.) Send sample in while driving on now long OCI capable oil and filter.

3.) Get results back.

3.b.) If results indicate no issue, then happily run long OCI's.

3.c.) If results indicate issue, then consider getting issue fixed before going long OCI...or at least accept greater wear and/or risk.

A common long OCI oil would be Mobil-1 Extended Peformance. Amsoil would be another, but beware they have a normal OCI line and an extended OCI line. Also, I believe you need to run their filter (which is a great filter, but, expensive) if you want to be covered by their guarantee.

Chuck