10k oil changes?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
I change the oil filter in between long oil change intervals so i dont need to worry about it.. its cheap... and easy(cause my filter is accessible without jacking the car or removing skid plates.

IF my car eat oil(it does not) and i had to keep adding it... I wouldn't change the oil at all in that case just the filter.

ps. you shouldn't push vehicle specific issues randomly as facts. and your all talking about internal combustion engines and the 'oil' industry. use common sense, you don't need to know anything of either, all questions related to them can be answered in terms of Money and Greed.

McWatt

Feb 25, 2010
For reference, "shear" doesn't mean damage or degradation. "Shear" in this context is short for shear flow, which simply means the flow of the oil caused by a force gradient.

The property degradation some of you are describing is induced by shear flow, but the damage itself is not "shear," which is simply a word for a viscous fluid in non-uniform motion.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My BMW calls for 15000 changes, but I usually do 7500-8000. I go with Castrol or Mobil 1. I take 8 QTS though, which probably accounts for the long change spec.

Fun fact: our family friend's Ferrari 512 Boxer takes 22 qtd of oil!