$10 to your child for memorizing 10 Commandments

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
So that "fear of God" thing has lost its effectiveness, eh?

j/k ;):p:D Bump for something new and interesting.

ValsalvaYourHeartOut

Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Jokersmoker
TextRequires some work
Enjoy
jokersmoker

" Step 3 - Authorized Witness
The authorized witness can be a pastor, rabbi, church school teacher, elected government official, a qualified candidate for public office or a person authorized by The Ten Commandment Project's staff. The authorized witness also fills out their section of the Affidavit to validate the genuineness of the efforts."

Can my authorized witness be a Catholic priest accused of child molestation?

Valsalva

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ValsalvaYourHeartOut
Can my authorized witness be a Catholic priest accused of child molestation? Valsalva

rolleye.gif

You just had to sneek in a vindictive generalization to put down religion, didn't you?

jhansen

Mar 9, 2001
TextRequires some work
Enjoy
jokersmoker

The authorized witness can be a pastor, rabbi, church school teacher, elected government official, a qualified candidate for public office or a person authorized by The Ten Commandment Project's staff. The authorized witness also fills out their section of the Affidavit to validate the genuineness of the efforts."

Valsalva

Yes.

fornax

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I'm sure most children will understand "Thou shall not steal", but "Thou shall not covet your neighbour's wife"? :)

calebb

Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: fornax
I'm sure most children will understand "Thou shall not steal", but "Thou shall not covet your neighbour's wife"? :)

Actually, isn't the exact verse, "You shalt not covet your neighbors wife, nor his donkey, nor his maidservant, nor is manservant, nor anything that is your neighbor's?" (Exodus 20)

Hot deal :) I'll have to email my little brother! He's being homeschooled & could definitely use the $10!

Caleb

ValsalvaYourHeartOut

Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: jhansen
TextRequires some work
Enjoy
jokersmoker

Valsalva

Yes.

Great!! It shouldn't be too hard to find one nowadays...

Valsalva

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Requires serious work, as I would be required to first have a child. hot = not

Kuhlman

Mar 19, 2002
Ok, now how many people here will suddenly have families of 8-10 kids?

I think it's quite irresponsible to be encouraging people to teach younger children to memorize statements referring to sexual behavior (ie. adultery). That's just inappropriate. What are you going to say when 6 year old Johnny asks what adultery is? "Well son, adultery is voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse and it's important that you know that at your age." And what about when he starts talking about adultery at school with other children because you had him memorize a commandment about sexual intercourse?

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
It's funny how many people are saying this isn't worth the work, probably some of the same people who run all over town trying to price match to save $5 and wait by the mailbox for mail in rebates. ;)

Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Can my authorized witness be a Catholic priest accused of child molestation? Valsalva

rolleye.gif

You just had to sneek in a vindictive generalization to put down religion, didn't you?

You know, regardless of what you think of religion, or specifically the Catholic religion, I think you need to keep your mouth shut and you comments to yourself. This is very offensive to some people. If I had it my way, you would be banned for that comment, Valsalva.

I, for one, am sick of all the catholic priest jokes and comments. In all seriousness, if I hear any more of it, I'm never coming back here. The only thing worse than what happened is someone making a JOKE of the situation, and probabaly thinking that it was really funny. I hope you laughed for a bit over it. I really do. Because maybe that will make it worth it, years down the road, when something bad happens to you and you can never live it down. Aside from that, I hope you laugh when you realize you are making jokes at the misfortune of children who were molested. Is that really funny? Would you like to see someone make fun of your children, had they been molested? I doubt it.

You need to be more considerate of other people. Your comment had nothing to do with a hot deal, and while mine doesn't either, at least it's worth saying.

Edit: Sorry Trevelyan

Growltiger

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: ness1469
This is very offensive to some people. If I had it my way, you would be banned for that comment, Trevelyan.

You might want to correct your statement - Trevelyan didn't make the comment, Valsalva did.

huesmann

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
No kidding, ness1469, how about taking an extra 10 seconds to think before you open your big mouth, er, I mean click the "Reply to Thread" button?

ValsalvaYourHeartOut

Apr 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Trevelyan

rolleye.gif

You know, regardless of what you think of religion, or specifically the Catholic religion, I think you need to keep your mouth shut and you comments to yourself. This is very offensive to some people.
Actually, posting Bible propoganda is offensive to me, especially when this deal is CLEARLY NOT HOT, as it involves spending a great deal of time to get your young child to memorize the 10 lines as well as tracking down someone to sign an affadavit. That's worth way more than $10 of anyone's time, even if you flip burgers for $6.26/hr. This post is just another means of "spreading the word" and "planting the seed." The people behind this website know that once they entrap another kid into their religion, the local church will ultimately receive that 10% share of his income to belong to the church -- an excellent investment (better than that $150 in 3 mos from Citibank).

If I had it my way, you would be banned for that comment, Trevelyan.
Good thing this isn't CatholiTech.

I, for one, am sick of all the catholic priest jokes and comments. The only thing worse than what happened is someone making a JOKE of the situation, and probabaly thinking that it was really funny. I hope you laughed for a bit over it. I really do.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way. The whole Catholic priest molestation thing is a pretty big scandal and whether or not you want to acknowledge how extensive this was is up to you. I just think it's sad that your God, who is good, fair, kind, blah-blah "allowed" his OWN representatives (his priests) to betray his believers and commit and these unthinkable acts.

Aside from that, I hope you laugh when you realize you are making jokes at the misfortune of children who were molested.
No, no. I wasn't making fun of the CHILDREN...I was merely poking fun at the whole priest thing. This isn't a bible passage -- you don't have to overinterpret and speculate its meaning. Besides, if the children hadn't gone to church to begin with, they would never have gotten molested!

Valsalva

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Okay, I looked at the wrong name. I'm sorry for that. I'll fix it.

Any way, Valsalva...

You are a hypocrite. You say "this post is just another means of spreading the word.." but I suppose you don't realize that your post is nothing more than trying to spread your own word.

The title of this thread can easily give you the impression that religious elements are involved, and if you are offended by that, then you shouldn't have clicked the link, looked into it enough to find out anything about it, etc etc.

If you are offended by it, then you should realize that offending me still isn't acceptable. two wrongs don't make a right. There was no need to offend me or anyone else.

you have NO good reason to come in here and make fun of people, and being atheist (I assume you are) does not give you the right to be rude.

I know what went on with the Catholic priest thing. I know how big it was, etc. etc. It still doesn't make it okay for you to be a jerk about it. Whether you like to think it's true or not, you are making jokes at the expense of those poor children.

Well stated.

Valsalva, regardless of your feelings about religion, this is not the place to express them. You're simply starting a religious flame war in a thread posted by jokersmoker, who has a LONG history of posting deals of all types. It would be understandable if this were a "free bible" thread, but if you consider the source, it doesn't make sense to accuse him of abusing the Hot Deals section to push religious views.

On the other hand, that's exactly what you've done here.

Keep your religious views, and your questionable jokes, out of Hot Deals. (and don't push this issue, because I agree with the sentiment that you should have been given time off for this incident. Fortunately for you, I happen to be the "religious tolerance and freedom of expression mod".)

Anandtech Moderator

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
"religious tolerance"? What the hell is this country coming to if we can't abuse someone different from ourselves. Damn all Catholics; Protestants; Muslims; Hindus; Buddists; Jews; Agnostics; Atheists; Sikhs; Shintoists; Confusianismists; Baha'i Faith's; Jainists; Druids; and anyone I've left out.

Sorry if this is not sarcastic enough for you.....