10 Really, REALLY Useless Facts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
M.I.T. Boston in the 1930s. Every male student that brought a girl to a ?dorm party? had to pay an admission fee based on his date?s weight. They paid 1 cent per pound and an addictional 10 cents if if their date was a blonde, 15 cents for brunettes and 20 cents for redheads.
retarded, MIT student brings a GIRL to a party and they have to PAY?

PS. need video of praying mantis pr0n kthxbye

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jtusa
Originally posted by: dexvx
5. Total cereal provides 100% of your daily requirement of iron, REAL IRON. It has very very small flakes/particles of iron in it. Try it yourself: Crush up the cereal into a fine powder. Add water to the cereal and drop in a strong magnet. Stir for a long time (your arms will be sore after this activity - use a mechanical magnetic stirrer if you can get one). When you pull the magnet out, you will see lots of little iron shavings attached to it.

We actually tried it in our 8th grade science class years back. Its quite surprising.

Stupid question...is that a good thing?

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_091.html

jtusa

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Amused
5. Total cereal provides 100% of your daily requirement of iron, REAL IRON. It has very very small flakes/particles of iron in it. Try it yourself: Crush up the cereal into a fine powder. Add water to the cereal and drop in a strong magnet. Stir for a long time (your arms will be sore after this activity - use a mechanical magnetic stirrer if you can get one). When you pull the magnet out, you will see lots of little iron shavings attached to it.

We actually tried it in our 8th grade science class years back. Its quite surprising.

Interesting, thank you sir.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000

Link doesn't work for me. What is it?

I have no clue if its good or bad, all I know is its strange consuming IRON SHAVINGS that are added to bloat the daily consumption total to 100% Iron.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Dear Cecil:

I saw a chemist's demonstration where a bowl of Total cereal was soaked in hot water (to dissolve the cereal). Then a white magnet was placed in the solution. Upon removal, the magnet was covered with tiny specks of metal, apparently iron.

A white magnet placed into a packet of "iron fortified" instant oatmeal and shaken around will also come out covered with tiny iron filings. Are these filings actually nutritious, or is this some terrible joke so these products can claim to be "iron fortified"? --William B. Stockton, Washington, DC

Cecil replies:

Let's think about this, William. The stuff says "iron fortified." Experiments show it IS iron fortified. You figure this is some kind of deceitful practice? Like maybe it should say, "iron fortified and WE MEAN IT"?

Get with the program. Different iron compounds are used in different products and the particles may be different sizes, all of which affects how "biologically available" the stuff is. But yes, when a product says "iron fortified," that often means they put iron filings into it.

Let me add that the filings are tiny, on the order of a few dozen microns in diameter. The particles can range from straight powdered iron ("reduced iron") to compounds such as ferrous sulfate and ferric phosphate.

The stuff is "harmless and assimilable," it says here, and your body definitely needs it. Iron deficiency is common in the U.S. At one time the Food and Drug Administration even considered asking that higher levels of iron be added to more foods. (The plan died because of fears that more iron might trigger certain rare diseases.)

So eat, William. It's good for you. Just don't try walking through a metal detector afterward. For more information on iron and other food additives, read The Complete Eater's Digest and Nutrition Scoreboard by Michael Jacobson (1985).

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
7. When a male praying mantis is doing the the dirty the female extends her jaw and chomps off his skull. This causes an endorphin-like chemical to be released in the headless male?s body and he completes his task.

Not always true. This is something that happens only occasionally.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_007

Eh... I don't buy that explanation. Take an anthropology class focused on sex and evolution. The act of cannibalism actually improves the chances of the male passing on his genes. Praying Mantises don't typically live close together so a male may only have one opportunity to mate with a female in his entire lifespan. In addition, the more well fed a female is the more offspring she will produce, so it behooves the male to allow her to feed on him in order for her to produce as many of his offspring as possible. Now, there is always the chance for exception, but the act of cannibalism is hardly only "occasional."

WiseOldDude

Feb 13, 2005
8. Upper-class roman woman paid top dollar for their toothpaste, portuguese urine toothpaste. It was the one believed to whiten teeth the most.

You will wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with :confused: :roll:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
7. When a male praying mantis is doing the the dirty the female extends her jaw and chomps off his skull. This causes an endorphin-like chemical to be released in the headless male?s body and he completes his task.

Not always true. This is something that happens only occasionally.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_007

Eh... I don't buy that explanation. Take an anthropology class focused on sex and evolution. The act of cannibalism actually improves the chances of the male passing on his genes. Praying Mantises don't typically live close together so a male may only have one opportunity to mate with a female in his entire lifespan. In addition, the more well fed a female is the more offspring she will produce, so it behooves the male to allow her to feed on him in order for her to produce as many of his offspring as possible. Now, there is always the chance for exception, but the act of cannibalism is hardly only "occasional."

Actually, every site I read said the same thing. It's only occational.

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
Upper-class roman woman paid top dollar for their toothpaste, portuguese urine toothpaste. It was the one believed to whiten teeth the most.
When it comes to toothpaste, we're really number one.

Truth in advertising.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
The Teflon story is a complete fable:

http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/o...//web.mit.edu/invent/iow/plunkett.html
Now, Amused, can you post a relavant link to the inventor of the Teflon coated PAN? The link to the inventor of Teflon is irrelevant to the discussion of the sales of non-stick pans. True, the author of that website didn't define "it" properly; better grammar should have been used. However, most people would realize that context refers to the inventor of the coated pan and not to the inventor of teflon. That said, I don't know if the statement is true or not. All I know is that your statement is irrelevant.

Edit: this link backs up MOST of the information about Teflon coated pans. The original article was slightly wrong in calling him the inventor. Instead, Thomas Hardie, was the first to try to sell it in the US.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
I've read (and remembered) many useless lists, but these are way over the top on useless information!

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
A teacher told us the guy who invented the microwave got the idea after seeing birds getting cooked while sitting on radar antennas during WW2.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Mucho
A teacher told us the guy who invented the microwave got the idea after seeing birds getting cooked while sitting on radar antennas during WW2.

Ummm... actually the candy bar in his pocket melted after he stood around the radar test arrays. I don't think birds are that stupid to sit around and let themselves be cooked alive (even if it were possible with radars, radar arrays of normal power would not do this).

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Rice Krispies at the top of the bowl are dry because they are closer to the sun than the ones at the bottom. - George Carlin

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Born2bwire

Ummm... actually the candy bar in his pocket melted after he stood around the radar test arrays. I don't think birds are that stupid to sit around and let themselves be cooked alive (even if it were possible with radars, radar arrays of normal power would not do this).

Perhaps not radar, but a tropospheric scatter (IIRC) with the flat antenna can put out enough power to cook a small animal.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

As a Raytheon employee, trust me, we hear about the candy bar incident often enough. ;)