10 Really, REALLY Useless Facts

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
5. Total cereal provides 100% of your daily requirement of iron, REAL IRON. It has very very small flakes/particles of iron in it. Try it yourself: Crush up the cereal into a fine powder. Add water to the cereal and drop in a strong magnet. Stir for a long time (your arms will be sore after this activity - use a mechanical magnetic stirrer if you can get one). When you pull the magnet out, you will see lots of little iron shavings attached to it.

We actually tried it in our 8th grade science class years back. Its quite surprising.

Kesmai

Jul 25, 2006
i feel for the honeybee, imagine someone put an m80 firecracker to your balls.... awww poor honeybee

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
This is at least the third link you've posted to your blog in the last two days (well, one of those links was to a Digg link to your blog). I think that's generally discouraged here.

Kesmai

Jul 25, 2006
i read a little bit and it explained in detail.. but i'm not trying to read a story about praying mantis's =P

Kesmai

Jul 25, 2006
who said it's my blog? and even IF it was, are these posts not extremely entertaining?

do you know what assume spells? ASS-U-ME.. makes an ass out of you and me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Kesmai
who said it's my blog? and even IF it was, are these posts not extremely entertaining?

do you know what assume spells? ASS-U-ME.. makes an ass out of you and me.

The dolphin one was entertaining. This one is kind of meh. I knew the praying mantis one is not true most of the time, so that made me wonder how much truth there is in the rest of the list. The list isn't so entertaining if you don't believe it's true. Maybe cite some sources?

S

SlitheryDee

4. Teflon is the most slippery substance known to man, that?s why they use on pans to prevent sticking. It took the creator of it two years to find a store that was willing to sell them, that store sold 200 of them within 2 days. Everyone wanted them now, so he created a manufacturing plant, but by the time it was constructed, dozens of others already stole his idea and had their pots & pans in stores.

from wikipedia

PTFE is sometimes said to be a spin-off from the U.S. space program with more down-to-earth applications; this is an urban legend, as Teflon® cooking pans were commonplace before Yuri Gagarin's flight in 1961. PTFE was discovered serendipitously by Roy Plunkett of DuPont in 1938, while attempting to make a new CFC refrigerant, when the perfluorethylene polymerized in its storage container. DuPont patented it in 1941, and registered the Teflon® trademark in 1944.

someone's wrong here...

Edit: damn beat me to it.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
4. Teflon is the most slippery substance known to man, that?s why they use on pans to prevent sticking. It took the creator of it two years to find a store that was willing to sell them, that store sold 200 of them within 2 days. Everyone wanted them now, so he created a manufacturing plant, but by the time it was constructed, dozens of others already stole his idea and had their pots & pans in stores.

from wikipedia

PTFE is sometimes said to be a spin-off from the U.S. space program with more down-to-earth applications; this is an urban legend, as Teflon® cooking pans were commonplace before Yuri Gagarin's flight in 1961. PTFE was discovered serendipitously by Roy Plunkett of DuPont in 1938, while attempting to make a new CFC refrigerant, when the perfluorethylene polymerized in its storage container. DuPont patented it in 1941, and registered the Teflon® trademark in 1944.

someone's wrong here...

You're a little late...

jtusa

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
Originally posted by: dexvx
5. Total cereal provides 100% of your daily requirement of iron, REAL IRON. It has very very small flakes/particles of iron in it. Try it yourself: Crush up the cereal into a fine powder. Add water to the cereal and drop in a strong magnet. Stir for a long time (your arms will be sore after this activity - use a mechanical magnetic stirrer if you can get one). When you pull the magnet out, you will see lots of little iron shavings attached to it.

We actually tried it in our 8th grade science class years back. Its quite surprising.

Stupid question...is that a good thing?