10 kids drink windshield wiper fluid at daycare

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Fritzo
If they only drank 1oz, it won't hurt them too much. It might give them cramps or make them sick. They should be OK.

Truthfully, I can't be too hard on the person. I once accidentally put a can of air freshener in the fridge and the seals on it popped. My fridge smelled "Summertime Fresh" for weeks.

The one that put it in the fridge or the one that poured it?

Really, wasn't there a label on it that any one less a blind person could see?

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: effowe
Gimme some of that blue drank.

bwhahahaah. My friends and I always use drank as a word so I love that :D

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
is window washer fluid particularly toxic? I thought it was just alcohol?

Its methanol

Methanol is extremely toxic. If ingested, as little as 10ml can cause permanent blindness and as little as 60ml can result in death. The initial symptoms of methanol intoxication are those of central nervous system depression: headache, dizziness, nausea, lack of coordination, confusion, drowsiness, and with sufficiently large doses, unconsciousness and death

So its like regular alcohol, only better?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: moshquerade
If they only drank 1oz, it won't hurt them too much. It might give them cramps or make them sick. They should be OK.

Truthfully, I can't be too hard on the person. I once accidentally put a can of air freshener in the fridge and the seals on it popped. My fridge smelled "Summertime Fresh" for weeks.

do you always look a tthe label of stuff you pull out of the fridge? it was blue and odds are they have had blue coolaid all the time. so they were in a hurry seen a big blue jug of liquid and poured it.

i do blame the idiot that put it in the fridge to begin with.

ni4ni

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
It's Arkansas....do you think they'll be able to detect any brain damage as a result of this?

As an Arkansan, I resent that err...nevermind....

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Saga
I'm having a hard time trying to appreciate accidentally putting a giant bottle with poison symbols all over it in the refrigerator.

Not only that, some genius THEN took it, opened it, and poured it into cups without noticing anything was strange. I don't think any wiper fluid I've ever bought comes in the same type of jug as fruit punch or whatever. And it usually has a freaking safety cap on the bottle.

:thumbsup: They also usually have a seal that you have to remove from the top of the bottle after removing the cap. Whoever served it to the kids already had brain damage.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

do you always look a tthe label of stuff you pull out of the fridge? it was blue and odds are they have had blue coolaid all the time. so they were in a hurry seen a big blue jug of liquid and poured it.

for one, i don't think the jug that gallon of blue sugar drink is put in is the same as a washer fluid jug. at least i've never seen one like that. the washer fluid jug is thicker and shaped somewhat differently.

second, the label is always a big one and impossible not to see.

simple google image search

another

another

another

also, don't they come with child-proof tops?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Saga
I'm having a hard time trying to appreciate accidentally putting a giant bottle with poison symbols all over it in the refrigerator.

Not only that, some genius THEN took it, opened it, and poured it into cups without noticing anything was strange. I don't think any wiper fluid I've ever bought comes in the same type of jug as fruit punch or whatever. And it usually has a freaking safety cap on the bottle.

:thumbsup: They also usually have a seal that you have to remove from the top of the bottle after removing the cap. Whoever served it to the kids already had brain damage.

this.

i can't think of any other excuse except maybe they had already ingested a lot of washer fluid themselves.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002

Did you then feed it to other people's children that paid you to take care of them? 10 kids... I don't know if I could easily forgive this type of negligence. Granted it's pretty stupid and possibly easy to do but if you are charged with taking care of kids on a day to day basis, I'd think you would be more careful with toxic chemicals around children. Why would you even bring a large container of washer fluid into a kitchen to begin with? Even then, you fail to read the labels of the product you are serving to children, that has a safety cap and Poison warning written all over it?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

for one, i don't think the jug that gallon of blue sugar drink is put in is the same as a washer fluid jug. at least i've never seen one like that. the washer fluid jug is thicker and shaped somewhat differently.

second, the label is always a big one and impossible not to see.

simple google image search

another

another

another

also, don't they come with child-proof tops?

the child-proof tops are a joke.

but i can see it (if the pull tap mugs mentioned is off) that someone takeing the top off and not looking.

some fo the cheap blue juice comes in containers just like those. if its already opened i can beleive someone was stupid enough to do it.

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002

That's fine and excusable I guess if it was just you in your home. This is a daycare center. You'd expect a certain mentality of safety from the employees, especially when it comes to easily ingestable poison. Even my baggers at the supermarkets I been to always put my antifreeze and washer fluid in a separate bag away from the food. How could anyone put it in the fridge of a daycare center then neglect to notice the big POISON warnings and childproof top as they serve it to 10 children. If this person misses something so blaring as this, I'd hate to have a kid there with a peanut allergy or something.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

I don't know about you but I've always noticed that windshield wiper fluid containers are rather different than beverage containers.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Thats it. 3 day waiting period, full FBI background check, and trigger locks on the squirt bottles. WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: dakels

That's fine and excusable I guess if it was just you in your home. This is a daycare center. You'd expect a certain mentality of safety from the employees, especially when it comes to easily ingestable poison. Even my baggers at the supermarkets I been to always put my antifreeze and washer fluid in a separate bag away from the food. How could anyone put it in the fridge of a daycare center then neglect to notice the big POISON warnings and childproof top as they serve it to 10 children. If this person misses something so blaring as this, I'd hate to have a kid there with a peanut allergy or something.

i agree. at a daycare they should be no fuckups (hellt his shouldnt happen in the home).

im just saying i can see how it happened. you have 10 kids yelling for something to drink. you open the fridge and see 3/4th full of blue juice and just grab and pour.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
It's toxic, but if you're having trouble seeing through your stomach on rainy days its the best solution.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: dakels

Did you then feed it to other people's children that paid you to take care of them? 10 kids... I don't know if I could easily forgive this type of negligence. Granted it's pretty stupid and possibly easy to do but if you are charged with taking care of kids on a day to day basis, I'd think you would be more careful with toxic chemicals around children. Why would you even bring a large container of washer fluid into a kitchen to begin with? Even then, you fail to read the labels of the product you are serving to children, that has a safety cap and Poison warning written all over it?

It was probably different people. One person bought some wiper fluid at the grocery store, so the bagger puts it in with the groceries. Stupid, but when retards are your most productive employees doing bagging what do you expect?

Then whatsherface runs a few more errands, gets home and absentmindedly unloads all the grocery bags. I once threw my dirty clothes into the kitchen trash instead of the washing machine, granted I realized it as I was doing it...but I could see some one not noticing. Hell, it could have been an entirely different person putting the crap away.

Then some one paid $7 an hour to babysit the kids goes and gets some koolaid from the fridge. Maybe its the providers stupid 11 year old daughter helping out. I mean, its not like it requires a PHD in social work to pour 4 glasses of koolaid, right? It has a safety cap? So fucking what? Everything has safety caps on them when you first open them! A jar of peanut butter I bought the other day had a plastic ring AND a foil cover. $7/hr employee might not have ever even drove a car before. Not that having done so would mean she would know anything about wiper fluid. It has pictures of cars on the front? Just like Disney Pixar's Cars! VVVVvvrrrrooom! It smells funny? Its FUCKING blue, and have you seen some of the crap they pass off as food for kids? And who sniffs koolaid anyway?

And then, a tragedy happens...not from one huge mistake but from a bunch of dumb little oversights. It shouldn't have been in the grocery bag, it shouldn't have been in the house and it shouldn't have been in the fridge. And then it shouldn't have been opened and poured it glasses for kids.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Born2bwire
Originally posted by: Born2bwireI don't know about you but I've always noticed that windshield wiper fluid containers are rather different than beverage containers.

go to aldie's or such. the cheap juice has continers like http://i.ehow.com/images/Globa...erFluidAmazon_Full.jpg

... They have big labels that say "Windshield Wash and Deicer," childproof caps, and inner seals?

do you not understand what i am saying? in a hurry when you have 10 kids scraming for something to drink. you open the fridge and see a jug of blue stuff (wich does look like some of the cheaper blue "drink" juices). you grab it and pour. would you expect to have windshield fluid in the fridge? no? do you READ every label you pull out of the fridge?

am i saying they shouldnt be punished? no. but i can see how the accident happened.