• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

10 kids drink windshield wiper fluid at daycare

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
16,243
4
76
Just when I think people can't get anymore stupid .....
If it were my kid they would have to arrest me, I would be beating the crap out of the workers.



http://www.google.com/hostedne...nW5N1KhFbm4mQD96T63EG0
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) ? Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

Hilary DeMillo, a spokeswoman at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock, says one of the 10 children who drank the fluid Thursday afternoon is still hospitalized Friday morning.

Pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist Laura James says the child's blood samples had high levels of methanol, which can cause blindness.

James tells The Associated Press that the daycare staffer put the windshield wiper fluid in a refrigerator accidentallly after a shopping trip. Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, each drank about an ounce of the fluid before realizing what it was.

Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, says child welfare officials planned to visit the Scott community daycare Friday. Munsell did not know the name of the daycare
 

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
23,244
191
106
It's Arkansas....do you think they'll be able to detect any brain damage as a result of this?
 

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
2,721
0
0
I'm having a hard time trying to appreciate accidentally putting a giant bottle with poison symbols all over it in the refrigerator.
 

nakedfrog

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
48,170
1,644
126
Originally posted by: Saga
I'm having a hard time trying to appreciate accidentally putting a giant bottle with poison symbols all over it in the refrigerator.
Not only that, some genius THEN took it, opened it, and poured it into cups without noticing anything was strange. I don't think any wiper fluid I've ever bought comes in the same type of jug as fruit punch or whatever. And it usually has a freaking safety cap on the bottle.
 

actuarial

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2009
2,814
0
71
1) How do you not notice having to break off the safety cap.
2) How do you not notice the freaking label, which usually has a picture of a car on it.
3) How do you POSSIBLY not notice the freaking smell. I've been in a car that was very slowly leaking water fluid and when you first get in it's all you can smell.

Should this person be charged with criminal negligence?
 

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
16,243
4
76
Originally posted by: actuarial
1) How do you not notice having to break off the safety cap.
2) How do you not notice the freaking label, which usually has a picture of a car on it.
3) How do you POSSIBLY not notice the freaking smell. I've been in a car that was very slowly leaking water fluid and when you first get in it's all you can smell.

Should this person be charged with criminal negligence?
Agree. There is something more going on here. That staff member is on drugs or psychotic and wanted to harm the kids.
 

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
16,243
4
76
Originally posted by: miketheidiot
is window washer fluid particularly toxic? I thought it was just alcohol?
Its methanol

Methanol is extremely toxic. If ingested, as little as 10ml can cause permanent blindness and as little as 60ml can result in death. The initial symptoms of methanol intoxication are those of central nervous system depression: headache, dizziness, nausea, lack of coordination, confusion, drowsiness, and with sufficiently large doses, unconsciousness and death
 

Fiat1

Senior member
Dec 27, 2003
880
0
0
Hay we always store our windshield wiper fluid in the fridge it?s an Arkansas thing.
 

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
40,250
676
126
If they only drank 1oz, it won't hurt them too much. It might give them cramps or make them sick. They should be OK.

Truthfully, I can't be too hard on the person. I once accidentally put a can of air freshener in the fridge and the seals on it popped. My fridge smelled "Summertime Fresh" for weeks.
 

nakedfrog

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
48,170
1,644
126
Originally posted by: Fritzo
If they only drank 1oz, it won't hurt them too much. It might give them cramps or make them sick. They should be OK.

Truthfully, I can't be too hard on the person. I once accidentally put a can of air freshener in the fridge and the seals on it popped. My fridge smelled "Summertime Fresh" for weeks.
The one that put it in the fridge or the one that poured it?
 

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
21,505
6
0
Originally posted by: Fritzo
If they only drank 1oz, it won't hurt them too much. It might give them cramps or make them sick. They should be OK.

Truthfully, I can't be too hard on the person. I once accidentally put a can of air freshener in the fridge and the seals on it popped. My fridge smelled "Summertime Fresh" for weeks.


As Modelworks posted...

"Methanol is extremely toxic. If ingested, as little as 10ml can cause permanent blindness and as little as 60ml can result in death. The initial symptoms of methanol intoxication are those of central nervous system depression: headache, dizziness, nausea, lack of coordination, confusion, drowsiness, and with sufficiently large doses, unconsciousness and death"


1oz = 29.5Ml

Now the saving grace is its warm in AK usually so they probable have the weaker/summer type washer fluid which is much more watered down then the stronger/winter mix. If that is the case then hopefully they will not have any long term affects. But these are kids so it would not take as much to cause some harm. That and as a parent I would beat the piss out of someone that did this and said "oh its onyl like a oz or so..."

Also looks like 1 kid is still there...
"one of the 10 children who drank the fluid Thursday afternoon is still hospitalized Friday morning."
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS