10/30/10 Stewart/Cobert Washington, D. C. Rally thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

matt0611

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2010
Was this ever even questionable?

If only Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, and Rush Limbaugh would do the same for Conservatives.

Too soon?

I haven't seen enough of Beck's show to know, but is there any question Hannity and Limbaugh are conservatives and members of the republican party and are commentators who are giving their opinion? They make it plainly obvious. Not really a fan of either myself though.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The opening song was high energy but the entertainment is really dragging now.

I've got things to do but might head downtown later for the after party.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I haven't seen enough of Beck's show to know, but is there any question Hannity and Limbaugh are conservatives and members of the republican party and are commentators who are giving their opinion? They make it plainly obvious. Not really a fan of either myself though.

They are all entertainers. That was my point.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yeah! And they cut him off just as he was starting to rock! At least they are bringing the OJs on.

no love for Cat Stevens?

edit:

to bad I have to work tonight or else I would watch this. I need to get some sleep.

Last edited:

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Not a bad sized crowd. I see many people walking in the upright position, quite a nice change from the teabag gold-athon earlier.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I'm just glad that Stewart and Colbert are finally coming out as progressive activists and no longer hiding behind just trying to be funny.

I'm glad you finally admit that restoring sanity and presenting reasonableness medals and lampooning "keeping fear alive" are all planks in the progressive activist agenda.

No wonder you fear and loathe progressives!

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
no love for Cat Stevens?

Steven Georgiou, then Cat Stevens, had some great songs. Now Yusuf Islam, he seems to have misplaced his talent.

Ozzie on the other hand, ROCKS! Bark at the moon!

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I'm glad you finally admit that restoring sanity and presenting reasonableness medals and lampooning "keeping fear alive" are all planks in the progressive activist agenda.

No wonder you fear and loathe progressives!

By the way, John Stewart just sang:

You can tax my cash to pay for any stranger
But I'll sue city hall if they put up a manger

and

We'll defend the rights of what anyone says
As long as it isn't Juan Williams and Rick Sanchez.

You know, werepossum, maybe if you looked at exactly what John Stewart says and does instead of reflexively and fearfully and ignorantly lumping them into your little partisan fear bundle YOU wouldn't look and sound like the angry ignoramus hater you look and sound like here.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Seems like they are doing a pretty good job keeping it neutral. I like.

Though they are libs and brought in only lib artists, from listening to the show in the background, I think Stewart and Colbert delivered just what they said they would - a call to the hope that this country has for the future.

I am really liking Stewart's closing speech!

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Though they are libs and brought in only lib artists, from listening to the show in the background, I think Stewart and Colbert delivered just what they said they would - a call to the hope that this country has for the future.

Me too. Stewart/Colbert 2012! (j/k)

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000

I thought the analogy with the cars was spot on.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Did anyone from ATP&N actually go to the rally? They wouldn't be posting at the moment, but I was just wondering if they would offer up an opinion once they log back on.

My wife wants to go out to dinner downtown later so I will see y'all there!

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
asplain for those of us not in attendance?

Bolded below.

“What exactly was this?” Mr. Stewart asks. “This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith. Or people of activism or to look down our noses at the heartland, or passionate argument or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus and not be enemies.”

“Not being able to be able to distinguish between real racists and Tea Partiers, or real bigots and Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez is an insult, not only to those people but to the racists themselves, who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate.”

“The press is our immune system,” Mr. Stewart says. “If it overreacts to everything, we actually get sicker. And perhaps eczema. And yet, with that being said, I feel good. Strangely, calmly good.”

In the news media, Mr. Stewart says, we hear of the fragility of our country, how we’re on the brink of catastrophe, how it’s a shame we can’t work together. “The truth is,” he says, “we do.”

Mr. Stewart invokes the metaphor of a traffic merger at the Lincoln Tunnel, “You go, then I’ll go.” “Sure, at some point there will be a selfish jerk who zips up the shoulder and cuts in at the last minute. But that individual is rare and he is scorned, and he is not hired as an analyst.”