1 in 5 Americans is Religiously Unaffiliated

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Whenever I see one of these modern sci fi movies of giant alien invader ships blasting Los Angeles to dust I think really the aliens are a projection of ourselves, and how we would be to a weaker inhabited planet. Why would a alien give a toss about this planet? From passing by it's surrounded by old rocket booster trash, ejected shitbags/mir vodka bottles and wrecked satellites. The surface is literally a giant trash dump with a bunch of humans that dont even bother to help their own starving in large portions of the surface while others live a life of luxury not caring a bit.

I would just keep moving if I was a alien. What a messed up planet with a bunch of self destructive apes that probably wont be around much longer.

Who knows, the crystalline species that may be evolving on alpha centauri a few exits down the hyperspace freeway is probably a lot less risky to help anyhow. Humans would be shitty neighbors, thats for sure.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Whenever I see one of these modern sci fi movies of giant alien invader ships blasting Los Angeles to dust I think really the aliens are a projection of ourselves, and how we would be to a weaker inhabited planet. Why would a alien give a toss about this planet? From passing by it's surrounded by old rocket booster trash, ejected shitbags/mir vodka bottles and wrecked satellites. The surface is literally a giant trash dump with a bunch of humans that dont even bother to help their own starving in large portions of the surface while others live a life of luxury not caring a bit.

I would just keep moving if I was a alien. What a messed up planet with a bunch of self destructive apes that probably wont be around much longer.

Who knows, the crystalline species that may be evolving on alpha centauri a few exits down the hyperspace freeway is probably a lot less risky to help anyhow. Humans would be shitty neighbors, thats for sure.
District 9, heh.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
I liked it. It illustrates human nature pretty well. I think the format rubs a lot of people the wrong way though.

A lot of folks don't like being shown what they were going through life happily ignoring around them.

This is how pretty much everything bad we do to ourselves gets "passed under the radar".

Dont rock the boat, keep on message with the status quo. And make sure to buy more shit we tell you is needed for your own self-worth -and while your at it, have a drink, dont think so much.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
It's far less than one in five. To many just don't recognize what they believe in as religion, though it clearly is. Praying at the temple of Government, worshiping the politicians as idols, holding their scripture etc etc.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
I feel you, and I agree with you. I am not defending religious idiots, either. I am trying to look at both sides of the isle.

People here generally like to blame the world's issues on religion and non-educated (hgher educated) people sometimes. That's simply not true.

Some of the mass murdering that's been going in isn't religiously motivated.. such as James Holmes, that idiot that tried to kill that politican in Arizona last year (as far as I know, that wasn't religiously motivated), and that jerk here in Michigan that killed a GM (I think Dodge/Chrystler but I don't recall) co-worker and then killed himself later.

The Oklahoma City bombing in 94 had nothing to do with religion, (again, IIRC.. last I read about that) it was anti-government.

Open your eyes, and lay blame where it belongs... on BOTH sides

EDIT: Is there a good reason for doing something stupid? Killing a lump of people?

Oh, I guess since he didn't do it for his god, it ain't that bad... or it can somehow be excused?

Sorry, that is lame reasoning. Non-religious massacres doesn't make religious ones any less wrong and it cannot be proven that eliminating religion altogether will make non religious killings "take over" by the same frequency or magnitude. To claim religion doesn't do harm this way is preposterous.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
But they aren't blowing shit up or killing people because someone told them to be mad about something. Your examples show that some people will do bad things because of greed, I am talking about people being told or influenced to do bad things and they do them even though they don't directly benefit them. There is a huge difference.

I am sure I could find dozens of examples to the contrary but for the most part its rather difficult to get educated people to riot over a youtube video. Sure they might be upset but rioting, looting, burning, killing, blowing shit up (including themselves)..... not so much.

Heh, I know what the rebuttal from religion defenders would be like...Religion makes people less greedy! Riiiight.