1 in 5 Americans is Religiously Unaffiliated

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
JohnOfSheffield: If you're not being sarcastic about this i'll fucking hound you about it,

I was being sarcastic about the first part, Mao and all, and truthful about the second part, that liberals in this thread are, um, daft.

J: i never know with you though, you're all up in the fucking clouds saying shit that you think is profound but to everyone else it's just confusing.

M: Well not really. I think I am stupid but I also think I know more than most people because I know nothing. So in addition to being stupid I look stupid too, stupid enough not to have a big ego.

J: And yeah, everytime anyone ever says they get what you're saying, like Perk or such, it's just to be polite, no one ever knows what the fuck you're on about but we take wild guesses all the time.

M: You will see in my sig that I face this all the time and that's why I frequently recommend that if people are having trouble understanding what I say they ask for clarification. Naturally, I may be too stupid to do even that very well, but I can try.

J: I think you are potentially one of the smartest posters here but you waste all of it on being so daft with your presentation of any and every argument.

M: Well I guess we just went over that.

J: Religion is the poor mans honor, but so is racism.

M: Religion is many things and sometimes what you said but not always in my opinion. But I do feel I may actually be less opinionated about this than you are. Religion is a plus and a minus in my book. Pro and con miss the mark in my opinion.

See, I used to believe in God but I questioned and destroyed everything that I believed. I lost everything that was sacred to me. For a long long time all I did was suffer. Life went black and nothing had any meaning. I used to pray for some sign from Him that he exists. I looked everywhere but where it mattered. He was in the last and least place I would have ever suspected, He was at the ground of my Being and that's all it takes to know Him. Be and you and He will be one thing for being is the end of duality. I am I am I am is all there is? You probably have discovered something at least of this when you've been shot at. The asshole pucker factor is a good way to stop time.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I'm the 1 in 5. Majority of P&N likely is.

Which part of unaffiliated are you?
Judging from the responses, I think most P&N is atheist.
But like the article says even if you just don't attend church regularly you are unaffiliated

Jun 26, 2007
JohnOfSheffield: If you're not being sarcastic about this i'll fucking hound you about it,

I was being sarcastic about the first part, Mao and all, and truthful about the second part, that liberals in this thread are, um, daft.

J: i never know with you though, you're all up in the fucking clouds saying shit that you think is profound but to everyone else it's just confusing.

M: Well not really. I think I am stupid but I also think I know more than most people because I know nothing. So in addition to being stupid I look stupid too, stupid enough not to have a big ego.

J: And yeah, everytime anyone ever says they get what you're saying, like Perk or such, it's just to be polite, no one ever knows what the fuck you're on about but we take wild guesses all the time.

M: You will see in my sig that I face this all the time and that's why I frequently recommend that if people are having trouble understanding what I say they ask for clarification. Naturally, I may be too stupid to do even that very well, but I can try.

J: I think you are potentially one of the smartest posters here but you waste all of it on being so daft with your presentation of any and every argument.

M: Well I guess we just went over that.

J: Religion is the poor mans honor, but so is racism.

M: Religion is many things and sometimes what you said but not always in my opinion. But I do feel I may actually be less opinionated about this than you are. Religion is a plus and a minus in my book. Pro and con miss the mark in my opinion.

See, I used to believe in God but I questioned and destroyed everything that I believed. I lost everything that was sacred to me. For a long long time all I did was suffer. Life went black and nothing had any meaning. I used to pray for some sign from Him that he exists. I looked everywhere but where it mattered. He was in the last and least place I would have ever suspected, He was at the ground of my Being and that's all it takes to know Him. Be and you and He will be one thing for being is the end of duality. I am I am I am is all there is? You probably have discovered something at least of this when you've been shot at. The asshole pucker factor is a good way to stop time.

It's uncanny how much your experience resembles my own, except that my parents literally packed my clothes for me and left me on the street at age 13 i had tried, SO hard to be a believer, the son they wanted but i was honest, that is a no go when it comes to religions, the first rule of religion is divert and the second is lie.

I've roamed grounds and seen things you would not understand, i've been hung until there was no life left in me and i can tell you that nothing ever changes, we are as we are, the fucking devil dog that i was born to be is the man i am today, i wasn't molded into the man i am, i was born like this, the most violent ugly person you will ever know who thoroughly believes in death as the only salvation for his enemies. And... I'm a grandfather who plays with his grandchild, a father who spent WAY too much time away from his daughter and has a bad conscience about it that he'll carry to the day he dies regardless of what she says on the matter.

I discovered one thing when i got shot in the arse... it fucking hurts didn't stop me though, if i had just been a psychopath too i'd be the perfect soldier according to some, but i do care, more than anyone else knows. It's not a random thing, taking a mans life but it's what you do and you don't think about it then.

I think we have empathy built in, it's not something we can turn off, eventually every single thing catches up with you, that is why i signed up for every fucking thing i could find for so many years until... well i could have done it again but i have a grandchild.. new blood and new hope in this world.

If even i can change, there is hope for a world for her. One day i'll explain that to her... i needed her to become a grandfather and a grandfather is always what? To me a grandfather is at peace...

Religion is still the poor mans excuse for discrimination, for beating his wife, for beating his children, for being a grand arse, i never needed religion to be the worst person i could possibly imagine and i most certainly don't need it to be the best person i can be. To me it's nothing but a restraint on the free mind of individuals and abhorrent rules that confines human beings in a setting made up thousands of years ago, i loathe it with all my heart because i have seen what it can do.

I like you better when you make more sense and use your own experiences and thoughts rather than to paint pictures with words about abstract Jesus killing abstract Muslims or such (i'm not being literal on the matter, just musing).

Jun 26, 2007
Which part of unaffiliated are you?
Judging from the responses, I think most P&N is atheist.
But like the article says even if you just don't attend church regularly you are unaffiliated

I saw a real stupid American show the other night, too wound up to sleep and too tired to be awake... so i watched some telly...

My name is Earl was the name and he had some Karma thing i didn't get but i thought about you and your sig...

Coincidence?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Religion is still the poor mans excuse for discrimination, for beating his wife, for beating his children, for being a grand arse, i never needed religion to be the worst person i could possibly imagine and i most certainly don't need it to be the best person i can be. To me it's nothing but a restraint on the free mind of individuals and abhorrent rules that confines human beings in a setting made up thousands of years ago, i loathe it with all my heart because i have seen what it can do.

A lot of that is equally done by non-religious folks as well.. if not most.

Religion isn't the only cause of horrid acts. I think you know that. Turn on the local news and you'll see.

People are just bad. Face the facts, and stop using religion as THE ONLY reason for the stuff going on in this world.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I saw a real stupid American show the other night, too wound up to sleep and too tired to be awake... so i watched some telly...

My name is Earl was the name and he had some Karma thing i didn't get but i thought about you and your sig...

Coincidence?

Nope
I inspired the series ;)

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
I can promise you this, John, and anyone else. If religion is gone, this world won't become peaceful, nor anymore than what it already is.

Maybe then some of you will wake up, and lay blame where it belongs...

Jun 26, 2007
A lot of that is equally done by non-religious folks as well.. if not most.

Religion isn't the only cause of horrid acts. I think you know that. Turn on the local news and you'll see.

People are just bad. Face the facts, and stop using religion as THE ONLY reason for the stuff going on in this world.

What does the Torah/Bible/Quaran have to say about women? That they are the property of their husbands and he has the right to rape and beat them, that they should be in submission of their husbands as their husbands should be to god.

Don't fuck with a former Christian, you will get schooled on your religion and there is nothing you can do about it.

"oh but we don't follow that part"?

Well then you are not following your religion, being half daft is half of an excuse for being completely daft.

I repeated a quote earlier, one which i have seen hold very true in this world:

Good men will do good things,
Bad men will do bad things,
But for good men to do bad things,
That takes religion.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
What does the Torah/Bible/Quaran have to say about women? That they are the property of their husbands and he has the right to rape and beat them, that they should be in submission of their husbands as their husbands should be to god.

Don't fuck with a former Christian, you will get schooled on your religion and there is nothing you can do about it.

"oh but we don't follow that part"?

Well then you are not following your religion, being half daft is half of an excuse for being completely daft.

I repeated a quote earlier, one which i have seen hold very true in this world:

That takes religion.

You still didn't address my point about non-religious folks doing the same thing or worse.

I agree that some religions do treat women like you described, but are they the ONLY ones?

No.. and you know that. So, religion isn't the problem.. its bad people in general. Both with/without religion.

Jun 26, 2007
I can promise you this, John, and anyone else. If religion is gone, this world won't become peaceful, nor anymore than what it already is.

Maybe then some of you will wake up, and lay blame where it belongs...

Son, don't make promises you cannot possibly keep.

I can promise you that without religion there wouldn't be a SHEITLOAD of people wanting to die for their RELIGION to defeat an enemy.

Now i know you think the LDS are nice little twats but even they are evil to the core, all religion is is a means to control, you have the hierarchy and no one really gives a fuck about the bible, you just trust your preacher which is why i'll always win any discussion regarding the bible with the likes of you... You see, i read the bible, that is why i'm an atheist.

Jun 26, 2007
Nope
I inspired the series ;)

:D

I swear, you're one cheeky ah heck..

But hey, no facial hair...

I think it's the responsibility of anyone not in the forces to grow facial hair, i do now and everyone who knows me hates it.

Ah well, i'm old enough for it to be white so i can be santa without a mask this year.

Jun 26, 2007
You still didn't address my point about non-religious folks doing the same thing or worse.

I agree that some religions do treat women like you described, but are they the ONLY ones?

No.. and you know that. So, religion isn't the problem.. its bad people in general. Both with/without religion.

Religion, all abrahamic religions, ALL THREE actually has this as a guideline, that women are beneath men...

Since you have a reading comprehension problem i'll repeat it:

That takes religion.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Son, don't make promises you cannot possibly keep.

I can promise you that without religion there wouldn't be a SHEITLOAD of people wanting to die for their RELIGION to defeat an enemy.

Now i know you think the LDS are nice little twats but even they are evil to the core, all religion is is a means to control, you have the hierarchy and no one really gives a fuck about the bible, you just trust your preacher which is why i'll always win any discussion regarding the bible with the likes of you... You see, i read the bible, that is why i'm an atheist.

Like I said, you will see.

You can win all the Bible discussions you want.. doesn't make you right. It means you out-argued me.

Knowing you're an atheist and hate the bible, I simply won't discuss it with you. You win by default.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Religion, all abrahamic religions, ALL THREE actually has this as a guideline, that women are beneath men...

Since you have a reading comprehension problem i'll repeat it:

That takes religion.

I will ask you directly since you're dodging: Are religious folks the only killers/criminals/wife beaters in this whole world?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Personally, I think the decrease in religious participation has less to do with atheism and more to do with our corporate overlords and the changed face of society. I believe atheists are as much a product of both parents working outside the home as the general lack of knowledge regarding how the world works demonstrated by 'youts' today.

Jun 26, 2007
I will ask you directly since you're dodging: Are religious folks the only killers/criminals/wife beaters in this whole world?

No, but they are the only ones that do it because god demands it.

AGAIN

Bad people will do bad things,
Good people will do good things,
But for good people to do bad things,
That takes religion.

Do you get that, that religion can convince good people to do bad things because religion is about a higher power, if god commands you you must follow even if you know it's wrong.

Jun 26, 2007
Personally, I think the decrease in religious participation has less to do with atheism and more to do with our corporate overlords and the changed face of society. I believe atheists are as much a product of both parents working outside the home as the general lack of knowledge regarding how the world works demonstrated by 'youts' today.

i don't think so, i think it has more to do with people thinking for themselves rather than following the indocrination of their fathers and mothers.

Atheists are not a product of anything more than being able to think for yourself.

I was raised in a VERY christian home, got thrown out of that home at age 13 becuase i didn't believe.

To me it's not about choice, i cannot choose to believe in a god anymore than you can choose to think you're a pink parrot, i know reality for what it is and god is not in it.

Do you understand what i am saying, i can no more believe in god than you can believe you are in fact a pink parrot. It's just impossible.

When it comes to how the world works... you have to be shitting me? Religions have been backing down from what god does since the first inception of a god, these days he doesn't pull the sun and moon up, he doesn't ride a chariot on clouds to create thunder and we take that for granted. So we know how the world works, god isn't in it.

If you are a creationist, just say so and spare me trying to have a discussion with you because in that case there is no helping you or discussing with you, only pity.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
The best news out of this is that the percentage is higher in young people. That bodes well for the future.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
No, but they are the only ones that do it because god demands it.

AGAIN

Bad people will do bad things,
Good people will do good things,
But for good people to do bad things,
That takes religion.

Do you get that, that religion can convince good people to do bad things because religion is about a higher power, if god commands you you must follow even if you know it's wrong.

Again, each person makes his/her own choice. Are you going to blame the car for hitting you becasue the driver was distracted by a cell phone?

I think not.

Keep blaming the Bible/God for the bad stuff people do. You'd never have an open mind if you do.

Jun 26, 2007
Again, each person makes his/her own choice. Are you going to blame the car for hitting you becasue the driver was distracted by a cell phone?

I think not.

Keep blaming the Bible/God for the bad stuff people do. You'd never have an open mind if you do.

Does the car require you to hit someone to be a good person and go to heaven you daft fuck?

Look, i can have a discussion with someone who is willing to concede the problems with religions but someone who will just deny it or try to deflect from it? That isn't an honest person and i have no reason to treat a dishonest cuntbag like anything more than a dishonest cuntbag, religious or not.

Apparently you cannot read AT ALL, i repeated it several times, i did not in ANY WAY imply that all bad things are because of the bible, in fact i blamed most of it on human nature but hey, i didn't lick your balls and called you the bestest jesus worshipper ever so clearly i'm evil.

Just piss off you retarded twat.

Jun 26, 2007
The best news out of this is that the percentage is higher in young people. That bodes well for the future.

Aye, over 80% in the UK... i can't wait for my generation to die... wait... what?

But i have posts to make and women to do and men to kill if they don't pull their sheit together..

Conversion?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
i don't think so, i think it has more to do with people thinking for themselves rather than following the indocrination of their fathers and mothers.

Atheists are not a product of anything more than being able to think for yourself.

I was raised in a VERY christian home, got thrown out of that home at age 13 becuase i didn't believe.

To me it's not about choice, i cannot choose to believe in a god anymore than you can choose to think you're a pink parrot, i know reality for what it is and god is not in it.

Do you understand what i am saying, i can no more believe in god than you can believe you are in fact a pink parrot. It's just impossible.

When it comes to how the world works... you have to be shitting me? Religions have been backing down from what god does since the first inception of a god, these days he doesn't pull the sun and moon up, he doesn't ride a chariot on clouds to create thunder and we take that for granted. So we know how the world works, god isn't in it.

If you are a creationist, just say so and spare me trying to have a discussion with you because in that case there is no helping you or discussing with you, only pity.

You're really all over the place aren't you? I'll try to address your points.

Using your own experience is human but, not terribly insightful to the human condition or religious beliefs.
While indoctrination is nothing new, neither is personal choice.
It is indeed your choice whether to believe or not.
My point was that 'youts' are no longer educated about religion any more than they are about how the world works.
Please prove to me God isn't in the world. :)
I'm a Lutheran who believes God and science aren't mutually exclusive.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Does the car require you to hit someone to be a good person and go to heaven you daft fuck?

Look, i can have a discussion with someone who is willing to concede the problems with religions but someone who will just deny it or try to deflect from it? That isn't an honest person and i have no reason to treat a dishonest cuntbag like anything more than a dishonest cuntbag, religious or not.

Apparently you cannot read AT ALL, i repeated it several times, i did not in ANY WAY imply that all bad things are because of the bible, in fact i blamed most of it on human nature but hey, i didn't lick your balls and called you the bestest jesus worshipper ever so clearly i'm evil.

Just piss off you retarded twat.

I understand you've been burned, but blame the choice your parents made.

Religion can't be flawed if people are prefect. It can be and is since people are imprefect.

All I am saying is that nothing bad can be done (no matter HOW strong the influence) until people act.

It comes back, and will always be with the people and how they practice/interpret the Bible. It's NOT the Bible/God or religion in and of itself. It's the idiots carrying out what they think are "God's orders".

That's what I am saying.

Jun 26, 2007
I understand you've been burned, but blame the choice your parents made.

Religion can't be flawed if people are prefect. It can be and is since people are imprefect.

All I am saying is that nothing bad can be done (no matter HOW strong the influence) until people act.

It comes back, and will always be with the people and how they practice/interpret the Bible. It's NOT the Bible/God or religion in and of itself. It's the idiots carrying out what they think are "God's orders".

That's what I am saying.

I give up, the dishonesty is just... you literally make me sick, literally as in a actually feel throwup in the base of my mouth.

This ... deflection and defence from the horrors of religion is... it's fucking insane, you're the kind of guy that would watch his father pour acid down his mothers throat and then go "oh well it's not about religion" and skippedi doppedi you forgot all about it...

I'm ending this discussion before i say something that will get me banned.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Slowing but surely the wheels of progress are turning. Religion is dying in the US, homophobia is dying. What will happen to the GOP? Will racism be enough?

The DNC will provide all the reason they will ever need to continue.