‘He will die in jail’: Intelligence community ready to ‘go nuclear’ on Trump, senior source says

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
We avoided the Nazi State once Clinton was defeated, and now seem to have to defeat the efforts of intelligence communities to overthrow our government.
If you think Clinton was a fascist, that's a mirror you've been looking at.

Reactions: Vic

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Was the surveillance even legal? I have serious doubts the release of the information was legal.

Yes it's legal. The NSA has the authority to keep tabs on conversations if one party is out of country. If something untoward if found it can be passed on for investigation. Welcome to Bush/Obama snooping and Trump is keener than them about national interests don't you know.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
We are living through one of the largest scandals ever.

For me personally, and I think for many who think like me, the scandal was obvious not much after Trump started campaigning, many, many months ago.
EVERYTHING was obvious, the way how the campaign was conducted with lies, the manipulation, how these people lie when they just open their mouth. The "convenient" hacking of the Dem servers etc., the carefully crafted fake stories about Clinton...etc..etc..
This, to me, is just another aspect of this scandal.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Civil disobedience is by definition illegal. Kind of pointless even discussing the legality of it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
We avoided the Nazi State once Clinton was defeated, and now seem to have to defeat the efforts of intelligence communities to overthrow our government.

Funny, but I didn't see Clinton making plans to suppress 'inconvenient' science and threaten a general scaling back of freedoms for anyone who isn't Christian, white and male.

Real freedom means holding crooked politicians to account for their actions. Real freedom means protecting freedoms and civil rights, not undermining them. Real freedom means ensuring that scientists can pursue and publish the truth. What was that the abolitionist Wendell Philips said about the price of liberty? Oh, right... it's eternal vigilance, not unquestioning loyalty. Clinton is practically a revolutionary freedom fighter compared to Trump.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Treason has a very narrow definition in the US, the only crime defined in the Constitution. Insubordinate members of the IC should merely be fired.

Trump has been so busy tap dancing on the Constitution his first month in office it's pathetic.

The IC members at least are sticking to the oaths they took.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Yes it's legal. The NSA has the authority to keep tabs on conversations if one party is out of country. If something untoward if found it can be passed on for investigation. Welcome to Bush/Obama snooping and Trump is keener than them about national interests don't you know.

I thought they would need a warrant to listen to US citizens speaking, and no way the release of information from NSA to newspapers can be legal.

Nov 30, 2006
Was the surveillance even legal? I have serious doubts the release of the information was legal.
I heard that it would require "high level" approval. This whole thing smells and I personally would like to see an investigation of Flynn along with all aspects of this fiasco including surveillance authorization and the IC leaks.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
So the IC should never ever question the President? Never investigate their potential wrongdoings etc?

First off, nobody said anything about not questioning the president. They can question him all the want, but at the end of the day he's the president. If you don't like it and can't do your job because of it, then you need to quit and go do something else. If there is actual evidence of criminal wrongdoing by the president, then by all means, bring it forward. The fact that "sources" keep saying stuff to try and undermine the president and yet nothing official is done speaks volumes. There needs to be a big effort to root out the traitors and purge them.

Reactions: OutHouse

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
What it comes down to is that the party out of power always loves whistle blowers, no matter what.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
First off, nobody said anything about not questioning the president. They can question him all the want, but at the end of the day he's the president. If you don't like it and can't do your job because of it, then you need to quit and go do something else. If there is actual evidence of criminal wrongdoing by the president, then by all means, bring it forward. The fact that "sources" keep saying stuff to try and undermine the president and yet nothing official is done speaks volumes. There needs to be a big effort to root out the traitors and purge them.

Actually, Trump humper Steve Miller said that very thing. There's even a thread on the topic.

Good point. Why did Trump sit on his knowledge that Flynn was a rat for over a month? Why has the Rep controlled Congress refused to carry out its Constitutional duties? Purge the traitors indeed.

Reactions: Homerboy

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I heard that it would require "high level" approval. This whole thing smells and I personally would like to see an investigation of Flynn along with all aspects of this fiasco including surveillance authorization and the IC leaks.

You should go back and change about a couple dozen of your other posts then.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Good point. Why did Trump sit on his knowledge that Flynn was a rat for over a month? Why has the Rep controlled Congress refused to carry out its Constitutional duties? Purge the traitors indeed.

Thanks -- beat me to my exact reply.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Looks like they have been rooting out the traitors, but it doesn't happen instantly, like most things. They've rooted out Flynn and he's been partially dealt with. Now they'll move on to the campaign staff that has been dealing with Russian intelligence. They've identified Manafort as one so far, so they'll square him away and the other unidentified campaign staff. From there they can get the rest of the traitors, including Trump if he was aware of his campaign staff associating with Russian intelligence.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
You think Trump is above investigations and the law? He is not.

Down goes the strawman! Nobody said he's above the law, nor did anyone say he was above investigation.

If there's reason to believe the President may be guilty of colluding with the Russian government, the intelligence community has an obligation to investigate as much as is legal and necessary. Going "to war" is acceptable if it stays within those boundaries, especially when the highest levels of national security and integrity are at stake. And while the leaks to the press are clearly strategic, silencing them wouldn't stop the investigation.

If there are legimitate things to investigate, then by all means, have at it, I have no problem with them investigating. If they have actual evidence of something, then fine, bring it forth. Undermining the president with BS leaks etc? Not so much. If you can't or won't serve under the president, then you should quit.

Moreover, you're conveniently glossing over why there's a desire to go to war. It's because Trump not only has open contempt for the intelligence community, but is setting up an administration designed to help him avoid accountability. Never mind the kiss-ass Congress -- we're talking about an attorney general who's reluctant to recuse himself from any involvement in the Flynn investigation, even though he's legally required to bow out. How do you hold possible traitors to account when the people controlling the oversight mechanisms will gladly block or interfere with investigations?

You're basically advocating a coup then by the intelligence community. As I said, such traitors should be executed. Preferably publicly to set the example.

I do think the NSA, CIA and other agencies overreach sometimes. But this is entirely within their scope -- it's their duty, even. If the President had the right to purge the intelligence community whenever it caught him breaking the law, we'd be living in a dictatorship, not a republic with checks and balances.

That's the whole point you're missing. There is no evidence ----- ZERO EVIDENCE -- that the president has done anything unlawful. Actively undermining the president simply because you disagree with him, his administration or his policies is not their role or duty. If there was actual evidence of wrongdoing, bring it forth, there are processes for that.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
The leaks are obviously illegal. The issue is that it seems some people care more about prosecuting these leaks then the actions that the leakers were trying to expose. The fact that there may have been collusion between the Trump and the Russians and/or the Russians have some blackmail info on Trump is astronomically more important for our democracy than these leaks.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I thought they would need a warrant to listen to US citizens speaking, and no way the release of information from NSA to newspapers can be legal.

No warrants are turned down if they are deemed necessary and as this involves one party being outside the nation there's no issue. Remember that it is the Russians that have their communications monitored. If an American decides to have a conversation with a nation that has sanctions then he or she should be aware the call is being recorded.

The NSA no authority to conduct a purely domestic investigation, however what is learned can be passed on to other agencies like the FBI who then can use parallel construction to investigate and then prosecute non-terrorist crime. That was the bullshit justification is saying no American was harmed by the NSA spying on them. It wasn't them, they just provided the means for a different organization to attack non terrorist crimes.With so many people and multiple agencies involved anyone in the chain could leak and no doubt did.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yes, because we suffered so greatly under the Nazi State during Bill's 8 years.

Do you idiots even hear yourselves any more?