What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1072 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Two weeks ago I was sitting and thinking how there's nothing I want to buy. Well not in my price range. There used to always be something on my list, but it's been empty for a few months. And I haven't been able to come up with anything to add to it. I thought I had procured everything in my budget I wanted.

I was on YT and in my video suggestion was a sim racing setup. I watched it, and it got me watching more videos and Googling. And I went deep down that rabit hole. And now I have a new "hobby" not surprisingly can get pretty pricey if you do it even half right. I've never even owned a wheel controller, but now I need a whole setup with the cockpit and all this other shit I didn't even know existed before last week. Fanatec sell's an actual steering wheel from a BMW M4 GT3. I can't pretend race people online using a Logitech or whatever wheel. And you can't F1 sim with a regular steering wheel. If you're gonna pretend you gotta go all the way in. There's also authentic Mcclarean wheels, which are a bargin at $1100 compared to $1500 for the BMW one. Although, I don't think my woman will find either to be a particularly "good deal" And I don't think she'll support my new passion of becoming a world class online race car driver.

When I show her the list of what I'm planning to buy, she's either going to strangle me, or castrate me. The ironic part is 2 months ago, on a sure of the momeht thing, I bought 7 pairs of BMW M4, Mercedes AMG-Petronas F1 and Ferrari Scuderia driving shoes and a bunch of outfits from Puma. Because they looked cool as shit. She was not happy about that (at all lol) Well she was happy that I had some nice looking new clothes, but was upset for some reason that I ordered 27 things. Can't say I blame her I guess.

This is a 1stworldproblem because if I lived in a 3rd world country, there's no way I could do anything but dream about a full sim rig. I'm sure in a 3rd world country a $25 Logitech wheel from 1998 would be GOAT status. But God bless America, I can pretend race people around the world in a racing rig fit for a king - VROOM VROOM!

But seriously, holy shit the sim racing scene is mind blowing, some of the setups I'm seeing are fucking nuts. And these simgeeks take this shit serious like it's real life racing.

Why can I never discover a hobby that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Time to raise pet rocks

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Batteries from the Dollar Tree are terrible, 8 AAs for $1.25 I don't expect Duracell Optimum quality, but even for $1.25 these are still bad. My mouse should have around 4 months of battery life with how I use it. I get a week with 1 of these if I'm lucky. And they have the nerve to put "super heavy duty" on the package.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I stopped buying disposable batteries, pretty much everything rechargeable now. Even the TV remotes. The thing I find with Alkaline is they seem to leak a lot now days. Duracell seem to be the worse for it. I've had some leak while still sealed in the package! lol.

• Wow
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Batteries from the Dollar Tree are terrible, 8 AAs for $1.25 I don't expect Duracell Optimum quality, but even for $1.25 these are still bad. My mouse should have around 4 months of battery life with how I use it. I get a week with 1 of these if I'm lucky. And they have the nerve to put "super heavy duty" on the package.
Did you let your mouse taste the packaging? Might be shit food. Recycled depends or something.

@Red Squirrel good on you. Avoid kids. Has the same idea...spent bunch of $...."Well, it died so I tossed it.." After I effi9ng told you to save em? Yeah....

Good thing you have 2 kidneys....

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
err, did you buy alkaline or zinc-carbon?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
switching insurance company is going to save me 1630 bux... why didn't I do this sooner?
Yeah, learned, after 30 years, collect all my policies and shop them every time the rate goes up. eff state farm, those cunts, after the same 30 years. But the new costs have skyrocketed after covid. I don't blame insurance companies but I sure don't like it. Company truck went from $1230 to $1730 this year, 14 yo. Shopped saved me $50, not. Per another thread, new average vehicle cost is $48K. Insurance companies aren't going to lose $. state farm told most of cali to suck it, iirc.

effing orange man

Glad you bois are 1%ers cause the rest of America is getting fucked.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Trying to order a new vehicle and due to supply issues it might be many months or a year lol. 2025 BMW X5 xDrive 50e. I did get some turmeric in the mail from Amazon, woot.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
err, did you buy alkaline or zinc-carbon?

don't remember, I threw the packaging out and all the battery says is no mercury. They had 2, I bought the ones that said "ideal for low draw devices" I'd say a mouse that gets 450 hours of battery life off a single battery is low draw. But maybe not. Something tells me the others labeled for high draw devices are exactly the same in a different package lol.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My sling wall by my front door is getting a bit crowded. Which one do I grab? First-world problem. May have to add another hook.

Every sling there has the following basic carry stuff in it at all times: 10,000mAh battery pack, cable, eye drops, sunglasses case, reading glasses, spare set of one day contact lenses, glasses cleaning cloth. So I don't have to think about the basics when I grab. The couple bigger bags have a few more things in them at all times too. If it's warm weather i have some face stick sunscreen for my tattoos in each bag.

Depending upon what size bag I need, and what style for what I'm wearing, I just grab what I need, add whatever I need for that trip, usually earbuds, maybe a microfiber cloth, a hat or packable rain jacket, or umbrella, or whatever it is, and go hit the train or the bus or just walk. I can do a simple overnight trip with the one bag that is 10L big.

Two helmets depending on the weather mostly. The best u-lock in the business, the Hiplok D1000, the first real anti angle grinder lock in the business - would take a bunch of angle grinder discs, battery charges, and time to get through it, tests show it works. Way more angle grinder gear than the vast majority of thieves have with them. It's a graphene/metal blend. Heavy but it's actual peace of mind.

PXL_20240504_202838797.NIGHT-EDIT - Copy (Medium).jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
My wife insists on going to home improvement stores to look at things while I like to look online first, narrow down what she wants then decide if it is worth my time to go to the store.

It's her reno, why am I looking at bathroom hardware?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My wife insists on going to home improvement stores to look at things while I like to look online first, narrow down what she wants then decide if it is worth my time to go to the store.

It's her reno, why am I looking at bathroom hardware?
It's called the ring of power.

Attachments

• 0504242001.jpg
    0504242001.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 0

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My cat keeps jumping on my desk, where my mouse is, and there's just not much room so he often ends up banging into my $500+ monitor. This time, he kind of missed, and took out my hand. Owe. Mouse pad has a bunch of gashes in it too.

I really need to figure out a way to stop him from doing that.

View attachment 92614

I just realized it's been several months since this incident and I still have a mark on my hand from this. Probably safe to say it's a scar now lol.

Speaking of cat related FWPs my orange cat seems to have figured out how to get under the bed again. I had to block it off because he keeps going inside the box spring and ruining it. I blocked off the sides of the bed but I think he's managed to squeeze in from behind now. I can't push it all the way against the wall because of the baseboard quarter round so there is still a 2" gap or so. He's a big boy so don't know how he manages to fit in that but he's persistent.

Next time I'm off I'm going to have to pull up the mattress and box spring out completely which is going to be a pita, but it will allow me to add a piece of plywood at the base. I think it's going to be easier to just block off the bottom of the bed fame than to try to block off all around it. At least there won't really be anything for the cat to mess with under there once that's a full solid piece.

Reactions: VirtualLarry