What first world problem did you have today?

Page 1056 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
This is not unusual, they guy is a clueless entitled spoiled man-baby, and also VERY cheap and stingy, and has been this entire transaction.
Not trying to blame you but maybe your initial pitch to him glossed over these key details or you got some initial impression that he knew these things?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Every once in a blue moon I think about decimeters. I learned it in grade school, but I've never seen it in the wild. I'm not sure what problem it's there to solve. Having a cruder measurement for rough distances is sometimes useful, but it isn't worth coming up with a whole new word.

Reactions: Pohemi

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not trying to blame you but maybe your initial pitch to him glossed over these key details or you got some initial impression that he knew these things?

It's just how use & occupancy works, the seller, now the new tenant, covers the expenses of the buyers. Why should they lose money every month to do the seller a sort of 'favor'? Especially when U&O is generally less desirable to most buyers in the first place.Sure there are rare exceptions when this happens but it's completely not the norm for U&O at all. It's insulting that someone would think the new buyers should lose money so they can rent back their house for x amount of months.

But also, like I said, this guy has been an entitled dbag getting in the way most of these past months already. It's perfect form. I knew he was going to balk at the numbers before I told him. Basic decent common sense says why would I expect anyone to lose money every month to do me a favor? Especially after buying my house at a price and with terms that were good for me.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Didn't realize Dune 2 tickets went on sale today until a little bit ago. Great to good seats for opening weekend at the true 70mm IMAX theatre were all sold out for opening weekend.

Managed to grab two pretty good seats for an early matinee the next weekend. Sigh. Gotta wait a week this time vs catching it opening weekend for the first.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's even more interesting when you realize that light speed changes depending on the medium it's going through. A parsec worth of fibre optic cable would be shorter than a light year in space.

Although I assume when the measurement is being used it's always based on speed of light in a vacuum.

If my calculations are correct, a parsec worth of fibre optic cable would be enough to go around the earth 76,997,590 times at the equator. It's kinda crazy to think though that if this was in fact done, if you hooked up internet through it, the latency would be over 1 year.

Jul 27, 2020
if you hooked up internet through it, the latency would be over 1 year.
3.26 light years

Would be funny if we became an intergalactic species.

Hey man! Howz your cousin doing?

Dunno. Gotta wait a parsec for his reply!

Too cheap to open up a wormhole, huh?

Nah. He ain't worth a wormhole!

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Not a FWP of today, but of this past week. I've been trying to get a DME supply item updated/upgraded on my account, a new model of the Continuous Glucose Monitor that I use with my insulin pump.

Insurance had no issue with it. My doctor first sent the forms and paperwork to the supplier 3 months ago. The supplier has messed around, lost forms and records, dragged heels or just took a long time at a few of the steps. Doc has re-sent the same forms three times.

This past week, I spent around 20 total hours on the phone (much of it on hold) with the DME supply company trying to get everything sorted. Supposedly it was all worked out yesterday just as the monthly order was about to ship, but it still hadn't updated what showed in my online account portal. Had to call again to ask WTF, they assured me that it had been pushed through and the new items included. We'll see when the box arrives on Monday.

This supplier has been far more PITA than my state health insurance, numerous doc's clinics, etc.

I've been a scientist for decades. Today is the first time I ever encountered anyone using decimeters in a paper. I think I shall start describing distances in decameters.
Picometers or bust! I'm around 1.62 trillion picometers tall.

Or maybe rontometers? lol

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My cat keeps jumping on my desk, where my mouse is, and there's just not much room so he often ends up banging into my $500+ monitor. This time, he kind of missed, and took out my hand. Owe. Mouse pad has a bunch of gashes in it too.

I really need to figure out a way to stop him from doing that.

IMG_20240128_013623.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Nov 17, 2019
Working in LibreOffice, got a nag about an upgrade available. I've passed on it a few times, so I figured eh, why not. I knew I shouldn't have done that.

Took forever to download the 300+ M installer. Then took even longer to install through multiple screens and progress bars. Then demanded a PC restart which I didn't feel like doing. Usually you can close the program and re-open it without the restart. Tried that. Tried to recover the spreadsheet I put all kinds of stuff in. Recovery failed.

Frack. I have several recent copies, so probably not a total cluster, but still quite a bit over the past day or so.

Give in and do the restart.

Same error, recovery failed. Gave me an option to 'finish' and move on which I did hoping to reopen a saved copy. Nope. Error about the file being locked for editing by another user ... me. Asked if I wanted to open a copy or ignore my own lock. Umm, yeah, sure. File opened fine, all current data intact up to the minute I started the update.

Phew!!!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
My cat keeps jumping on my desk, where my mouse is, and there's just not much room so he often ends up banging into my $500+ monitor. This time, he kind of missed, and took out my hand. Owe. Mouse pad has a bunch of gashes in it too.

I really need to figure out a way to stop him from doing that.

View attachment 92614
I find it's usually better to accommodate cats rather than restrict them. It's easier on everyone, cause cats just do what they want. Maybe put another small desk next to your main, and it'll jump on that, or at least make a more delicate approach to your primary desk from the secondary one.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I find it's usually better to accommodate cats rather than restrict them. It's easier on everyone, cause cats just do what they want. Maybe put another small desk next to your main, and it'll jump on that, or at least make a more delicate approach to your primary desk from the secondary one.

I'm actually thinking of building a small shelf on the side of the desk and hope that he jumps on that instead. This one is super affectionate with me so think he just wants to be closer to me. He has a bed on the other side that he sleeps in all the time. The orange one is a bit more independent but every now and then he jumps on the desk too and he's bigger lol. So yeah maybe some kind of side shelf or something will stop them from jumping directly where the mouse/keyboard is.

Reactions: lxskllr

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Just ordered propane fills. My owned tank is $1.88/gallon, leased tank is $2.72/ gallon.

Used to be maybe 20 cent difference in price. Time to start looking for a 500 gallon tank to buy.

• Wow
Reactions: highland145

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Just got new Galaxy S24 Ultra. Now to transfer old S22+ to it. It looks like it will almost be as painless as new/old iPad transfer. We shall see.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
0202241906.jpg

"10oz" draft....If I'm Andre the Giant. And it's effing yingling cause no Sam Adams, IPA, cider....left most of it on the table.

Metric system still fucking shit up.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and lxskllr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You don't like Yeungling? It's my goto small bar beer when I don't want anything special, or the other options are something lite and budweiser.

Reactions: stargazr

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I remember when I could get a full English pint of Guinness for $3, and I thought it was expensive, but worth it cause Guinness was virtually impossible to find around here.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Happy hour, Clemson 1985, $1.50 60 oz. Bud. Might explain my GPA. 😀

Yeah, definitely explains my GPA. That and skirts.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My hand still hurts from that gash, but it's healing. I have a feeling I'll get a sick scar from that. I will have to tell people I got into a fight with a robot and won, it's going to sound more cool than my cat accidentally grazing me.