ZTE phones leaving the U.S. market

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
According to the Hong Kong-based global research firm Counterpoint, ZTE has the fourth largest market share among smartphone makers in the United States, behind only Apple, Samsung and LG.

"The abrupt disappearance of the number four smartphone vendor in the U.S. is shocking, but there are plenty of companies that will be able to step in and claim ZTE’s ‘low-price, high-value’ position," says Avi Greengart,

What amazes me is a company I've never really heard of was #4 in US marketshare.

Really? The device almost everyone has, and only 3 companies and a "who?" can effectively design, make and sell these things in the US?

Something seems seriously wrong with that.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I have an Axon 7 as my phone, what does this mean for me?

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The first blow came last month when the U.S. Commerce Dept. banned American companies from exporting products to the Shenzhen, China-based telecom firm for seven years.

Sounds like a trump move. When will they ban iphones and AMD chips next? China is the leader in tech in a big way. Never thought I'd have a 32 thread cpu ... and I also didn't think that I'd be buying it with the words "made in China" stamped on it.

Trump is a loose cannon... Wouldn't surprise me much if his administration got us in a big trade war with China, not to mention all of the rest of the BS he is pulling.

At least we would still have samsung.

Not much. Unless you were planning on upgrading your phone in the next seven years.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

As long as they stay in business, not much. However, not selling in the U.S. market could be a death blow to their company. From the news, there is still a lot going on behind the scenes, and it sounds like something will be done to prevent this.

Sounds like a trump move. When will they ban iphones and AMD chips next? China is the leader in tech in a big way. Never thought I'd have a 32 thread cpu ... and I also didn't think that I'd be buying it with the words "made in China" stamped on it.

This story is also posted in Politics and News, so let's keep the political talk restricted to that area, and focus on the end user/tech talk/impact in this area.