Zotac GTX 980 Extreme review [GamersNexus]

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
do you think he might have just got a dud?

Overclocking is always luck of the draw. Even in binning, there could be some duds slip thru

Sep 27, 2014

Overclocking is always luck of the draw. Even in binning, there could be some duds slip thru

I considered that, then I read the article and it really just looks like Zotac screwed the pooch on this one

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

While your statement is true. I do not believe you read the article based on your response. I ask you to summarize what the main problem with the card was, and how your statement corresponds with that.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I went against my better judgment a few years ago, having bought eVGA for the past 6 years, and went with a Zotac GTX580. Then I found out that Zotac had issues with some of their 580s not supplying the proper voltages. I don't OC any video cards as a general rule, but I agree with the reviewer that Zotac has some issues.

You may find this with numerous other vendors when a reviewer digs far enough into a product, but I will avoid the lower tier vendors after my experiment and go back to the reliable ones, even if it costs that extra $30+.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I was just looking at this card last night thinking, "Maybe I should give Zotac a chance, but EVGA and their support is killer..."

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
The Zotac card clocked up to 1510 in his original evaluation. That is pretty standard across the board for all GTX980's. He's saying his reference 980 is hitting 1593mhz, which is incredibly high (and I question whether or not it's actually stable).

He's freaking out over nothing. 1510mhz is a good OC and with the lower voltage brings lower temps and power draw.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I thought he said 1560 in the video for reference which is already impossible. then he said he ran 1.256 voltage and got 1593 on reference? that is bull crap as the reference card would hit TDP limits at just 1450 or so with voltage like that.