Zogby: Obama leads Romney 49 to 42 percent among NASCAR fans. (LOL)

Jan 25, 2011
Well they are fans of a sport where the competitors are always turning left.

:D

I don't know. They're also quite into white guys going in circles, changing positions all the time and randomly wrecking their race while taking others out with them. Seems like a perfect fit with Romney.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I don't get it either. How could Mitt "I have some friends who are NASCAR team owners" Romney be losing the fans? He follows NASCAR. He's friends with the owners! Friends with the owners!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yet another left turn for NASCAR!

Feb 6, 2007
Romney is a Mormon. The deep south considers them to be cultists. It's not hard to understand. I'm not a big Mormon fan myself. :( But I think BHO worships himself only.
The same group who thinks Romney is a cultist thinks Barack Obama is a Muslim, so I don't know how much of a difference that will make.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Are polls that f'ed up this year?

You know the south isn't voting for Obama.

Florida, North Carolina and Virginia at least have a reasonable chance of going Obama (particularly Florida and Virginia). Not DEEP south, but still what I (as a non-southerner) would definitely consider "south".

Plus, NASCAR has appeal beyond the south. At the races in California, they just get drunk on WINE while watching the race ;)

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
EV_histogram_today.png

EV_history.png

It is only a snapshot of what would most likely happen if election were held today, but darn, Romney, at least temporarily, has now lost North Carolina, too?

Meta-Margin has also spike to 4.66%, which is supposed to be how much popular vote would need to shift towards Romney to create a near tie in electoral college right now (http://election.princeton.edu/)

I think alot of people might have felt personally insulted by Romney's 47% are dependent victims comment, and at least temporarily, it trumps less direct personal hatred of Obama that Romney campaign / Rush / Fox are trying to indoctrinate into people. (https://mmicdata.rand.org/alp/?page=election#shifts-between-candidates)

Compare and contrast with Reagan / Carter in 1980:

trialheats1980.png

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81566.html

North Carolina's evolving Voter Demographics:

fivethirtyeight-0903-NCmain-blog480.png

fivethirtyeight-0903-NCmarginhistory-articleInline.png

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytime...na-obamas-2008-victory-was-ahead-of-schedule/

Last edited:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
The only NASCAR fans I've ever known personally were bank executives, not exactly the gap tooth, wife beater wearing, beer swilling rednecks people assume.

BTW: I noticed this was an online poll. So I'm not sure any attention s/b paid to it.

Fern

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
The only NASCAR fans I've ever known personally were bank executives, not exactly the gap tooth, wife beater wearing, beer swilling rednecks people assume.

BTW: I noticed this was an online poll. So I'm not sure any attention s/b paid to it.

Fern

That must mean that all NASCAR fans are highly compensated professionals.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Donna WO // Sep 25, 2012 at 12:29 am

"Bill N, I also live in TN. You might have been right in believing that Obama could not carry TN, UNTIL all of the GOP talk over the Social Security/Medicare voucher system that they want to convert over to. I am a volunteer for the Obama campaign here in Nashville and I talk to more and more people every day, that are going to vote for Obama just because of those issues. There are life long Republicans, that are 62+year old, that are flipping only because they fear that they will not have the system. I spoke with a sweet widow today that explained, “The Social Security and Medicare that we have now might not be what I would like it to be but I certainly do not want to take the chance on losing it to some type of voucher system that I know nothing about nor has Romney explained any true details about. It is just not worth the risk!” So Bill, you never know, TN might be changing."

Donna WO // Sep 25, 2012 at 12:15 am

"TN, in which I live, is a half and half state. In the larger cities ie; Nashville, Memphis, Obama has the upper hand. Most of our celebrity population is behind Obama. Many of our over 62 population are changing their minds now that they fear the loss of the Social Security/Medicare system, thanks to the Romney/Ryan voucher platform. I honestly believe, the more of the 99% hear of the GOP plan and the fantastic screw up speeches by Romney/Ryan, the more of them will actually GO to vote and will vote Democratic."

Ken // Sep 25, 2012 at 7:02 am

"I just spent 5 days in Indianapolis visiting family. My family is hard core GOP and particularly anti-Obama. They hardly discussed or even mentioned politics or the election. Even odder was the near complete lack of campaign signs or bumper stickers anywhere. During my entire time there I saw a single corner with about a half dozen signs, about half for Mourdock and the other half for Donnelly. You wouldn’t even know it’s an election year there – very defeated kind of atmosphere and very different from that here in DE where I live."

Dave F // Sep 25, 2012 at 9:36 am

"That’s similar to what I’ve noticed on Facebook. I have a number of very conservative “friends” who had been posting anti-Obama things for months. They gleefully called him “Failure in Chief,” “the food stamp President,” etc., repeated all of Rush’s best lines. But since the conventions, they have basically all shut up. They’re not going to vote for Obama, but the wind has been taken out of their sails. It’s no longer fun for them. And now my liberal friends are frequently posting anti-Romney stuff. You can viscerally see the enthusiasm measure swing in the last month."

http://election.princeton.edu/2012/09/24/obama-nearing-an-electoral-ceiling/#comments

Last edited: