zipzoomfly

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
anyone else notice that there is hardly anything in stock?

I was checking motherboards, CPUs and memory and all are listed as "notify me"

has anyone heard any rumours of them going out of business?

I've bought from them in the past and they've been pretty good.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
I've been hearing those rumors for the past year or so. I've never bought anything from them because I've heard their CS sucks. Lot of complaints.
May just be the economy though.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I used to like zipzoomfly... but searching for a product was like pulling teeth. They should have put some money into a decent search engine like newegg.

zipzoomfly was comepetive on pricing, had free shipping (not DHL crap), and I did not have to pay the 10% tax I pay with newegg.

Mar 11, 2004
I might be wrong, but I thought they already had temporarily gone out of business a few years back (I'm not talking about the switch from GoogleGear either)?

None of the companies seem to be as good as they used to.

I remember I used to cross check Newegg, ZipZoomFly, MWave, MonarchPC (before they went to shit), ExcaliberPC, and seems like there were one or two others maybe.

What was that Newegg spinoff? Chief Value or something? Wasn't there some military name one? _____ Tanks or something?

I've been thinking of making some upgrade, and was checking Newegg and wasn't sure where else is good any more. I'd buy used, but seems like a lot of people trying to sell at new prices on a bunch of stuff.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I usually compare newegg, microcenter(local) and zipzoomfly.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
What was that Newegg spinoff? Chief Value or something? Wasn't there some military name one? _____ Tanks or something?

Newegg spinoff = Chiefvalue

You're probably thinking of tankguys.com, which I believe was started by a couple of enthusiasts who were willing to procure/ hand sort processors to guarantee their customers (other enthusiasts) would get the better overclocking parts.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
havent been to zzf in a while, didnt they have some CC security issues or something a year or two ago?

anyway, as mentioned, their search was crap. ive bought pretty much all my nerd stuff from newegg, amazon or (if theres a special) buy.com

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Haven't used ZZF in a while also, usually always buy my harddrives from them as they package them much better than Newegg.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
I might be wrong, but I thought they already had temporarily gone out of business a few years back (I'm not talking about the switch from GoogleGear either)?

None of the companies seem to be as good as they used to.

I remember I used to cross check Newegg, ZipZoomFly, MWave, MonarchPC (before they went to shit), ExcaliberPC, and seems like there were one or two others maybe.

I've been thinking of making some upgrade, and was checking Newegg and wasn't sure where else is good any more. I'd buy used, but seems like a lot of people trying to sell at new prices on a bunch of stuff.

Yeah I used to hit those up too. Lately though I just order from Newegg. I haven't ordered from ZipZoomFly in a LOOOOONG time.

wayliff

Lifer
Nov 28, 2002
I used ZipZoomfly in the past and it was fine. Never had issues and CS was good. I do agree the search was a pain.

This reminds me a bit of Monarch computers.

These days I have been shopping at newegg, directron and amazon.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ZipZoomFly

Wow they really did go downhill as of late, I don't even know WTF Googlegear is either, never heard of them. I will say that 2 computer builds ago (~3.5 years) I got a large portion of my parts from ZZF and received everything I bought in a timely manner, rebates all returned fine too IIRC.

Man there was ZZF, Monarch, Fry's Outpost (before it became just plain Fry's), eCost.. those were the days you could by from someone other than Newegg and still expect a pleasant experience.

Last edited:

Lifted

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2004
I've been using costcentral.com for a while now. Prices are better than Newegg and CDW (that's a given), emails and shipping are fast and accurate, have tons of stock, and CS was very good when I had to contact them. I'm not sure if they have their own warehouse, though I'm thinking not since I see a similar stock numbers from other merchants, so there may drop shipping for many or all of the items.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Haven't shopped there since they pussied out and changed their name.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Monarch. I remember them. Used to buy a lot of stuff from them when I lived in CA. When did they go out of business?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Lehman Brothers. I remember them. Used to invest a lot of money with them when I lived near Wall Street. When did they go out of business?

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Lehman Brothers. I remember them. Used to invest a lot of money with them when I lived near Wall Street. When did they go out of business?

Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Sept. 2008, by Dec. 2008, they were no more.

ZipZoomfly was founded in May 1999 under the name XtraPlus. The site relaunched in January 2000 as Googlegear. They changed there name from Googlegear to ZipZoomFly in 2003.

I don't deal with ZZF due to rebate fraud and there awful prices. ZZF Reseller Ratings, 0.25% out of 10%

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Newegg spinoff = Chiefvalue

You're probably thinking of tankguys.com, which I believe was started by a couple of enthusiasts who were willing to procure/ hand sort processors to guarantee their customers (other enthusiasts) would get the better overclocking parts.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I remember the confusion about Chief Value.

Yeah, Tank Guys. It seemed like they were trying to make it big (seemed around the time that a lot of these other ones started to fall off to so I thought they might have a chance), but then I never see them mentioned at all so I forgot about them.

I used ZipZoomfly in the past and it was fine. Never had issues and CS was good. I do agree the search was a pain.

This reminds me a bit of Monarch computers.

These days I have been shopping at newegg, directron and amazon.

Yeah, they also used to offer cheap or free 2 Day FedEx shipping on a lot of things when Newegg used to offer free 3-5 Day FedEx.

Forgot about Directron. Never really ordered from them. There's a couple of others that I can't remember at all that I used to check out when I was doing builds/upgrades for people.

I remember Tiger Direct used to be kinda controversial. Seemed like a lot of people hated them, so I typically didn't use them, but had good experiences the few times I did.

Fry's (back when it was Outpost.com, not sure now) was ok, but generally only when they'd run a really good sale (HDDs, sometimes cases, Polk speakers).

Monarch. I remember them. Used to buy a lot of stuff from them when I lived in CA. When did they go out of business?

I think that was 2006 or so? They used to be good for CPU/mobo/memory combos and I bought a Core 2 Duo setup from them not long after it came out, and it went great as usual (never had a bad experience with them), so I was shocked hearing what others were going through. Seemed like it snowballed and tanked pretty quickly after that.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I remember buying components from eWiz. Looks like they've changed their name too.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Well, what shopping comparison sites are best now?

I still use Pricegrabber, but that seems to be getting too kitchy (using tiles rather than a list for comparison, "softer" rounded edges and colors on its pages, etc etc).

I forgot what another was called, reminded me of an "Ask Jeeves" kind of format, but I don;t know what they were called. Their participating merchants was limited and their available prices started sucking.

Google shopping? Still a bit wonky/base. Hard to find and compare.

And FatWallet is OK for some deals, but I hear not the best. There is another I have since forgotten about (A split from FW), DealTaker I believe. Also Slickdeals?

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions, let me know!

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004

I use to buy quite a few things from Monarch too. I think they went out of business in 2006-7, but I'm not positive. I've bought stuff from ZZF in the past as well but not recently. Now it's only Newegg and Amazon for online, or Fry's and Microcenter for in-store.