Zero Tolerance - Zero Intelligence

Nov 30, 2006
Not all is lost...this will teach him a valuable lesson about how progressives have shaped the world we live in. Live and learn.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
http://news.yahoo.com/student-suspended-criminally-charged-fishing-knife-left-father-124606951.html

You suspend a student for 10-days and get someone criminally charged because the kids father left a fishing knife in his car. This is a real great way to take a innocent kid and make them a criminal.

Funny how media attention always makes these districts "reevaluate" existing policy and let the kids back. Makes you wonder about the thousands who don't get the attention.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
http://news.yahoo.com/student-suspended-criminally-charged-fishing-knife-left-father-124606951.html

A senior at Northeast High School in Clarksville, Tenn.

Peggy Duren, Duren-Sanner’s grandmother, said she tried to tell school officials that her grandson did not own the fishing knife. However, the tough vice principal was having none of it.

“It makes me sad. It breaks my heart that this is happening to kids,” she told the CBS station.

She also noted that her grandson has maintained a 3.0 grade point average. He is part of the ROTC program. He hopes to obtain scholarship help to attend college, but that’s in serious jeopardy now.

Duren-Sanner will appeal the draconian sentence from school officials on Wednesday. If he loses, he won’t get to go to prom or walk across in his graduation. He may not be able to graduate at all.

=========================================
You suspend a student for 10-days and get someone criminally charged because the kids father left a fishing knife in his car. This is a real great way to take a innocent kid and make them a criminal.

The South at it once again.

Republican Southerners deserve every bit of this.

Hopefully they lock the kid up for at least 20 years.

That should stop him from ever voting Republican.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Not all is lost...this will teach him a valuable lesson about how progressives have shaped the world we live in. Live and learn.

What would you be saying if they found a bunch of loaded guns under the front seat and a suicide killing spree note dated that day. Do we just pretend that schools have not become a popular means for young males to express their need to set records in depravity to be the best at something by trying to achieve the highest kill totals. "I may be worthless, man, but I will show them."

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Not all is lost...this will teach him a valuable lesson about how progressives have shaped America. Live and learn.

Fixed that for you. America is not the the world. When I was in South Korea my students would bring in sharp knives so they could sharpen their pencil tips. Other students would bring in toy guns and nobody cared.

Only in America.

Nov 30, 2006
Fixed that for you. America is not the the world. When I was in South Korea my students would bring in sharp knives so they could sharpen their pencil tips. Other students would bring in toy guns and nobody cared.

Only in America.
Good point. Thank you.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Two conservatives with a stupid theory in 1982 that progressives embraced and implemented throughout our educational system in a way never intended. Derp indeed.

Liberals tend to put forward zero tolerance policies against weapons, which I agree is stupid. Conservatives tend to favor zero tolerance drug policies more, which are also stupid.

There's enough stupidity for everyone!

Nov 30, 2006
What would you be saying if they found a bunch of loaded guns under the front seat and a suicide killing spree note dated that day. Do we just pretend that schools have not become a popular means for young males to express their need to set records in depravity to be the best at something by trying to achieve the highest kill totals. "I may be worthless, man, but I will show them."
I'd be saying I'm glad they caught him before he hurt anybody. Are you having trouble differentiating the issue here?

Nov 30, 2006
Liberals tend to put forward zero tolerance policies against weapons, which I agree is stupid. Conservatives tend to favor zero tolerance drug policies more, which are also stupid.

There's enough stupidity for everyone!
So true. It's like it's a contest or something. But one would have to admit that the level of insanity on these two issues is very different.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I am confused on the outrage. He had a knife in HIS car. A school is a weapon free zone. He is subject to random searches while on school grounds. The weapon charges likely won't stick, but the school acted just fine. He was found in possession of a weapon and suspended. He will likely get to appeal the 90 day alternative school ruling and get that lowered.

His dad didn't even say "I left the knife there". He simply said there is the possibility it could have been from him.

Maybe next time, he will make sure he doesn't have any contraband in his car before driving it to school.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I am confused on the outrage. He had a knife in HIS car. A school is a weapon free zone. He is subject to random searches while on school grounds. The weapon charges likely won't stick, but the school acted just fine. He was found in possession of a weapon and suspended. He will likely get to appeal the 90 day alternative school ruling and get that lowered.

His dad didn't even say "I left the knife there". He simply said there is the possibility it could have been from him.

Maybe next time, he will make sure he doesn't have any contraband in his car before driving it to school.

Try going on an airplane with a fishing knife. If they find it, they will take it from you and remind you it's a no-no. Compare that reaction to this. Now what do you think is the greater danger, random high school kid going on a mass stabbing spree or someone hijacking a plane and crashing it into said school?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
On a related note, I attended our school district's annual livestock auction and rodeo - my daughter (freshman) is in FFA and was showing a pig this year. Those in attendance are mainly farmers, ranchers, and of course students and their parents. But, also because it is held by the school disctrict, there are plenty of teachers, and even some administrators.

At one point, I noticed a teen from another school whip out a large buck knife (looked to be a 6 inch blade) to cut off some ties that were holding up water dispensers in one of the pig pens. A teacher was even helping him. Here was a school function, on school grounds, during the school day, and not one person freaked out. Guess what? Not one crap was given. It was so refreshing to see common sense being used.

And this is in a very conservative area of Houston, TX. Not all conservatives believe in this zero-tolerance nonsense.

Nov 30, 2006
Try going on an airplane with a fishing knife. If they find it, they will take it from you and remind you it's a no-no. Compare that reaction to this. Now what do you think is the greater danger, random high school kid going on a mass stabbing spree or someone hijacking a plane and crashing it into said school?
I have a friend and his wife who went on a vacation a few years back and borrowed his in-laws picnic basket to take with them. Unbeknownst to him there was a big knife to cut cheese in the bottom compartment of the basket that the in-laws forgot to tell him about. You would have thought airport security thought they caught Osama bin Laden the way they acted. Once they figured out my friend was telling the truth after many hours of questioning and FBI checks, they let him go and he was able to fly the following day.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Why is a hunting knife considered a weapon? Oh, that's right, because some politico or school official deemed it so. Funny thing is, if I had a baseball bat and you had a 4-inch fishing knife, guess who wins that fight, and guess who had a weapon.

C'mon use some common sense.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'd be saying I'm glad they caught him before he hurt anybody. Are you having trouble differentiating the issue here?

Yes. What if there were no guns or notes but the knife and malicious intentions. Let him take the knife to school? How do you think the gopher snake fairs in a world full of fear of rattle snakes? How would you like to let the rattle shake through because they are rare and you were wrong. In an insane world where we raise kids that are filled with self contempt and have become dangerous, what becomes of the meaning of common sense.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Why is a hunting knife considered a weapon? Oh, that's right, because some politico or school official deemed it so. Funny thing is, if I had a baseball bat and you had a 4-inch fishing knife, guess who wins that fight, and guess who had a weapon.

C'mon use some common sense.

I'll bite. It is far harder to carry a baseball bat into a bathroom and beat someone to death than it is to have a knife in my pocket and shank someone. I am also going to go out on a limb here and suggest that carrying around a bat is also prohibited in school, however, one would be allowed on school premises because (shocker!) a baseball hat has a function deemed appropriate for school (even if baseball is pretty boring). A knife has no function that would require a student to have one.

The outrage also isn't over the fact that a 4" knife is considered a weapon. It is that a boy was found one to have it in his car (and therefore, his possession). If only the outrage was the same every criminal found with an illegal item / substance who claimed it wasn't theirs! This doesn't even have to be a knife. It could be a gun. Would the outrage be the same? Even if it "wasn't his"?

Common sense should tell you the school has rules barring all weapons from school, a knife is a weapon, a student was found with a weapon in his car and is then suspended. I think 90 days a bit much for alternative school (a friend of mine in high school was found with a shotgun shell in his car and only got 60 days in alternative school, but this was in Texas).

Nov 30, 2006
Yes. What if there were no guns or notes but the knife and malicious intentions. Let him take the knife to school? How do you think the gopher snake fairs in a world full of fear of rattle snakes? How would you like to let the rattle shake through because they are rare and you were wrong. In an insane world where we raise kids that are filled with self contempt and have become dangerous, what becomes of the meaning of common sense.
If there was a knife and malicious intentions I'd be glad he was caught as well. And I'm not advocating that we "let him take the knife to school". Do you think his punishment was appropriate considering what we know now?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'll bite. It is far harder to carry a baseball bat into a bathroom and beat someone to death than it is to have a knife in my pocket and shank someone. I am also going to go out on a limb here and suggest that carrying around a bat is also prohibited in school, however, one would be allowed on school premises because (shocker!) a baseball hat has a function deemed appropriate for school (even if baseball is pretty boring). A knife has no function that would require a student to have one.

The outrage also isn't over the fact that a 4" knife is considered a weapon. It is that a boy was found one to have it in his car (and therefore, his possession). If only the outrage was the same every criminal found with an illegal item / substance who claimed it wasn't theirs! This doesn't even have to be a knife. It could be a gun. Would the outrage be the same? Even if it "wasn't his"?

Common sense should tell you the school has rules barring all weapons from school, a knife is a weapon, a student was found with a weapon in his car and is then suspended. I think 90 days a bit much for alternative school (a friend of mine in high school was found with a shotgun shell in his car and only got 60 days in alternative school, but this was in Texas).

A four inch fishing knife is not a weapon, it is a fishing knife.