Zero Punctuation: The Witcher

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I agree with ja1484, I for one thought the Bioshock demo was pretty horrible (more than that pretty linear and uninteresting) but the full game was an amazing experience, developers really should do a better job with demos, as they are doing the full game a great disservice.

CitizenSnips

Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: CP5670
Its definitely funny, but I'm not sure you can call it a review, more like comedy or satire. There's certainly elements of truth to what he's saying but he relies on hyperbole, sarcasm and wit to get his point across, which is to be funny, otherwise the review wouldn't really be worth watching would it? As Ayashi said, he's always going to focus on the negatives in order to be witty, but realistically, a review done by him with all praises and glowing comments would be as funny as any documentary on PBS narrated by someone with a dry British accent.

Exactly. I watch his stuff for the entertainment value, not to get a detailed and unbiased analysis of a game. I haven't played this game and have no interest in it, but this review doesn't disappoint one bit. :laugh:

Thirded, I mean really, his videos are hardly reviews, they're less than five minutes long and with how verbose he is with his jokes even less of that is time spent actually talking about the game. But they're not really reviews, it's entertainment, like a video webcomic about video games rather than something you'd read on IGN or Gamespot or whatever. Except he's actually funny, opposed to actual game webcomics.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: chizow
Its definitely funny, but I'm not sure you can call it a review, more like comedy or satire. There's certainly elements of truth to what he's saying but he relies on hyperbole, sarcasm and wit to get his point across, which is to be funny, otherwise the review wouldn't really be worth watching would it? As Ayashi said, he's always going to focus on the negatives in order to be witty, but realistically, a review done by him with all praises and glowing comments would be as funny as any documentary on PBS narrated by someone with a dry British accent.

Yep. They are funny but are by no means comprehensive or objective reviews.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
His stuff is hysterical. This is one of his better ones, too. No one should take his word as law with regards to actual game quality, but he's always worth watching. The thing is, he's slammed aspects of games that I liked but the criticisms aren't unfair. It's like if he was reviewing Cindy Crawford, he'd bag on her mole for half the time, but end up saying he thought she was OK looking.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
"The game is called Witcher in which you are Witch Hunter. You expect to be hunting witches, but you dont"

"I had only been playing for a short time but I had plenty of Witches lined up to stroke my +69 Staff of Penetration"

He's funny and probably over-critical of games but he plays off their stereotypes and most of the time he's right.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I love all of his reviews. I'm usually 100% in agreement with him. This one however, I'm not sure about. I haven't played The Witcher yet, but I have ordered it. From every review and form what other ATers have said about it I should love it. He always struck me as a cRPG fan too, I'd be curious to see how he reviews something like BG2.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
I love all of his reviews. I'm usually 100% in agreement with him. This one however, I'm not sure about. I haven't played The Witcher yet, but I have ordered it. From every review and form what other ATers have said about it I should love it. He always struck me as a cRPG fan too, I'd be curious to see how he reviews something like BG2.
In almot every RPG he reviews he makes mention of the classics like Baldurs Gate and Knights of the Old Republic.
He loves them, and any game which could loosely be compared often is. He's a little like me in the sense he was spoiled by a handful of really good RPG's that came out a while ago and havent been overthrown yet.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
In almot every RPG he reviews he makes mention of the classics like Baldurs Gate and Knights of the Old Republic.
He loves them, and any game which could loosely be compared often is. He's a little like me in the sense he was spoiled by a handful of really good RPG's that came out a while ago and havent been overthrown yet.

That's the boat I've been in since BGII:ToB ended. I have yet to find an RPG that can match the caliber of the BG series and PS:T. I was hoping that The Witcher would come close at least based on the reviews I've read, but perhaps I've set myself up for disappointment?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: dighn

Which separates him from 99% of the other reviews, in that his are funny. ;)

mHubs

Oct 28, 2000
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Originally posted by: dighn

Which separates him from 99% of the other reviews, in that his are funny. ;)

And he isn't afraid to bash games, like other reviews :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: mHubs

And he isn't afraid to bash games, like other reviews :p
That is exactly the point, most reviews have whatever opinion their sponsors pay them to have. This guy is intentionally overcritical and bashing of just about everything. It provides a certain balance, a sort of yin and yang.

Now, some games are so bad, there is no denying the suck, it is the mediocre or questionable titles, particularly the bigger budget releases, where the money comes into to play too often.