Zen4 / AM5 specifically (power to output / Core Count for D.C.)

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Zen4 looks good for performance per power and heat if set to lower power. The lower the better!

For this first gen / next socket / AMD5 stuff, the Zen4 (before Zen4 / 3D) and hopefully a Zen4 7950x 3D, I'll run it in a much better power / watt to output ratio. Likely most of the time under 140 watts? Many more watts during challenges?

I still may buy a Zen3 or 64 core Epyc or 2 older generation in single or double?, but that will be determined on the power, performance, and price factor with RAM and Motherboards included... :)

Zen4 with DDR5 and current motherboards are not great on price per performance, but if we can burn them down for 3 to 5 years? NOT BAD?

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
When I get my 2 7950x boxes up, I will try to run WCG if it gives me tasks, and at the 142 watt config. I will let you know what happens. Hopefully, I can get units to benchmark.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Here are generation-to-generation comparisons, in German (but the bar graphs tell you the gist of it):
https://www.computerbase.de/2022-09/amd-ryzen-7950x-7900x-7700x-7600x-test/
First page looks at performance at fixed clock.
Second page shows stock performance (and indicates a certain loss of power efficiency), then investigates performance at reduced power limits (which increases power efficiency).

If you click on "Bearbeiten" ( = edit) in the diagrams, you can change the selection of applications on which to base the ratings. The button "Einträge" ( = entries) folds out further tested processor configurations.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Other posters in the CPU subforum have linked to it before, but anyway:
mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Zen4's AVX512 Teardown
An analysis by the author of y-cruncher. One of the points to take home: Although theoretical peak throughput of Zen3/Zen4 AVX-256 and Zen4 AVX-512 is the same clock-for-clock, moving an application to AVX-512 on Zen4 can reduce bottlenecks of the CPU's frontend ( = utilize the execution units better), and also reduce energy spent in the CPU's frontend ( = spend respectively more of the overall power budget in the execution units and elsewhere).