Question Zen3 desktop CPU refresh on AM4 in 2021?

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Hi,

Since Zen3 was released close to the end of the year.
AMD takes like 5 quarters between each release.
Meaning no CPU update in 2021.
5nm is almost completely reserved for Apple in 2021
DDR5 AM5 platform could tale much more time than previous releases, H2 2022?

So did AMD plan something to bridge this bigger period between AM4 and AM5?
IF AM5 will only be ready in H2 2022 then I do expect AMD to do a refresh of Zen3 on 6nm in 2021.
What do you think?
(better binning is not a refresh.)

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Intel is going to release DDR5 supported products in 2021 so I would expect AM5 next year. I still believe in the Zen 3 AM5 rumors, the same chiplets except an updated PCH to support DDR5 on AM5.

Reactions: scannall

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
I'm actually betting on a Zen3 refresh on AM5, to iron out issues with AM5 (instead of rolling out both Zen4 and AM5 at the same time).

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
I see no reason for a delay in Zen4, I see more problems with AM5 instead.
So if AM5 is ready it will be with Zen4.

Zen3 on AM5 seems good to add lower end parts after the AM5 platform launch with zen4.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder what process the new northbridge will be built on. Are they finally going to ditch GlobalFloundering entirely, or will they use something weird like an FDSOI process?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Considering the lack of 3200G supply (oddly, I can't find any Ryzen-G CPUs in stock with two UK suppliers), I would have thought that a G-part should come into regular supply soon?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I wonder what process the new northbridge will be built on. Are they finally going to ditch GlobalFloundering entirely, or will they use something weird like an FDSOI process?

WSA doesn't expire until 2024. That being said, they might be able to fill it with Picasso and Dali mobile.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Warhol appears to be that refresh, rumored to be using N7 and AM4, XT style.

2021 appears to be too early for mainstream availability of DDR5, so that alone may prevent an AM5 launch next year. We already got scarcity of all kinds of parts right now, imagine that extending to RAM as well.

For an XT style refresh? I honestly doubt that. Possibly beyond that.

Considering the lack of 3200G supply (oddly, I can't find any Ryzen-G CPUs in stock with two UK suppliers), I would have thought that a G-part should come into regular supply soon?
This is off topic but anyway, the G-parts are the same as used in laptops which is where AMD's priority is: Laptops OEM/ODM > OEM desktop > DIY desktop. AMD currently sees a huge increase in demand for mobile chips, so those simply don't make it to the DIY desktop market.

WSA doesn't expire until 2024. That being said, they might be able to fill it with Picasso and Dali mobile.
The current agreement runs out by spring 2021, be don't know yet what obligations GloFo and AMD agree on for the remaining 3 years of the WSA. I'd expect the 10 years availability for embedded chips as well as the current use for X570 chipset and Zen 2/3 IOD to be sufficient for the remaining duration. If GloFo has an interesting node useful to AMD it will use that regardless of the WSA.

Reactions: Tlh97 and uzzi38

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Warhol appears to be that refresh, rumored to be using N7 and AM4, XT style.
If the "leaked" roadmap is real and warhol is just an am4 zen 3 refresh, why give it a new name? Matisse wasn't renamed for the first XT release, I'm not sure why they'd rename Vermeer unless its on a different node.

IMO the roadmap is fake, its very convincing but I think its really just 80% known codenames and specs mixed in with 20% fluff and speculation.

AMD-Ryzen-2020-2022-Roadmap.jpg
Said roadmap in question since nobody has posted it yet

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I think that there is space in the market for a Zen3+ on N6 released on AM4 at some point. I don't think that it's a primary path product, but, instead, is an alternative product to fill in a competitive gap for AMD while DDR5 platforms spread through the market.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
If the "leaked" roadmap is real and warhol is just an am4 zen 3 refresh, why give it a new name? Matisse wasn't renamed for the first XT release, I'm not sure why they'd rename Vermeer unless its on a different node.

IMO the roadmap is fake, its very convincing but I think its really just 80% known codenames and specs mixed in with 20% fluff and speculation.

View attachment 36414
Said roadmap in question since nobody has posted it yet
Same reason why Lucienne is called Lucienne despite it being the same as Renoir.

AMD are weird with codenames.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Same reason why Lucienne is called Lucienne despite it being the same as Renoir.
Perhaps, but this is also an assumption. While I can easily believe this take and I agree thats how it seems so far, its still a divergence from AMD's historical practices. It could just be them trying to jebait people like me but my assumption is that they probably tweaked something like the vega graphics again for cezanne and also ported them over to renoir, hence the different codename.

Whichever it is, January 12th cant come soon enough 😁

yuri69

Jul 16, 2013
Perhaps, but this is also an assumption. While I can easily believe this take and I agree thats how it seems so far, its still a divergence from AMD's historical practices. It could just be them trying to jebait people like me but my assumption is that they probably tweaked something like the vega graphics again for cezanne and also ported them over to renoir, hence the different codename.

Whichever it is, January 12th cant come soon enough 😁
AMD is not known for any kind of consistency.

For the stupid idea of assigning a new code name to a mere revision we have along list:
* Trinity -> Richland
* Kaveri -> Godavari
* Carrizo -> Bristol Ridge
* Raven Ridge -> Picasso
* Renoir -> Lucienne

They simply spin a new revision of the die with a few fixes in firmware and the design - so you gain a tad better perf/W.