Zen delayed to 2017 (DigiTimes)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the pics. So @ 95 Watts there is no chance of Zen getting anywhere close to the performance of Intel's most recent 8-core HEDT processors :\

I think its a bit early to try to assume that. We are still multiple quarters away from launch. It could be that Zen is just designed for a slightly lower clockspeed that does make it more power efficient while giving up some performance.

In essence, if I could just have my 2500k doubled up and scaled down to 14nm I would be perfectly happy. That's what I'm hoping for. The only problem is that even though an 8-core with no igp is a small chip, the way Intel gouges makes nVidia look like mother teresa herself o_O

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
''The cost of Intel HEDT''

Not sure if people are keeping up with prices, because you can buy a LGA 2011-v3 motheboard for less than $200 and nobody is pointing a gun at your head to use quad-channel, you don't lose much by going dual-channel instead:

memory_bandwidth_handbrake-100613938-orig.png

memory_bandwidth_winrar521_multi_threaded-100613964-orig.png

memory_bandwidth_bioshock_infinite_medium-100613936-large.png

I will say, if I built or bought a full-size X99 Haswell-E machine, I’d still want quad-channel memory, because there’s just no reason to give it up. But if I had to choose a small box where I got six cores instead of four, and my workloads benefited from the extra CPU cores? I’d have absolutely no problem making that decision to throw memory bandwidth overboard.

Also, Intel could very well drop Broadwell-E prices closer to where Haswell-E was if they feel they need to.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
In essence, if I could just have my 2500k doubled up and scaled down to 14nm I would be perfectly happy. That's what I'm hoping for.

Add in "on a consumer grade motherboard for less than $300" and I agree 100%. That is all I have ever hoped for out of Zen.

Aug 11, 2008
As I said before... *grin*

Where is the proof of this Zen delay? It's smelling like made up FUD. I have read five articles from the echo chamber already and there is no source for any of them...

Has anyone found a source yet? (For the Zen delay) I haven't seen one listed here yet...

Is the article cited by the OP not a "source"? Granted, they dont give details of where they got the information, but at least it is not WCCF Tech. Not really sure why Digitimes would "make up FUD" about both Intel and AMD.

Aug 11, 2008

Not sure if people are keeping up with prices, because you can buy a LGA 2011-v3 motheboard for less than $200 and nobody is poiting a gun at your head to use quad-channel, you don't lose much by going dual-channel instead:

Also, Intel could very well drop Broadwell-E prices closer to where Haswell-E was if they feel they need to.

Wow, be still my heart. What a bargain that would be. I have no problem with 5820k, and I could even live with the price of 6800k. But they really need to get rid of that more expensive hex core and drop prices on the 8 core to the 700-800 dollar range. 800 would still be twice the price of the hex core.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Is the article cited by the OP not a "source"? Granted, they dont give details of where they got the information, but at least it is not WCCF Tech. Not really sure why Digitimes would "make up FUD" about both Intel and AMD.
Where there is money to be made there is an opportunity for market speculation.

Digitimes article also mainly talks about Intel's Kaby Lake and states reasons for delay is inventory.. as in Intel wants to sell the current stock before releasing Kaby Lake. Why would AMD care about current Intel stock?

AMD's Zen architecture is produced by Globalfoundries' 14nm process and chipsets are designed by Taiwan-based players. However, the platform is also expected to be delayed until January 2017.

They don't list a reason or a source whatsoever. At least for Kaby Lake they hypothesize a reason, but for Zen they don't even bother to provide that.

I call BS.

Remember before Computex there were also stories of Polaris being delayed. Based on what AMD has said and the leaked NDA document Polaris is coming out at the same time AMD has said it would come out on all along. Middle of the year (actually a few days before if we're being precise).

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010

Not sure if people are keeping up with prices, because you can buy a LGA 2011-v3 motheboard for less than $200 and nobody is pointing a gun at your head to use quad-channel, you don't lose much by going dual-channel instead:

This is great info! We can kind of relax that Zen's FM4 platform will not have quad channel support as the above graphs show that it is largely useless.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
In essence, if I could just have my 2500k doubled up and scaled down to 14nm I would be perfectly happy. That's what I'm hoping for. The only problem is that even though an 8-core with no igp is a small chip, the way Intel gouges makes nVidia look like mother teresa herself o_O

Add in "on a consumer grade motherboard for less than $300" and I agree 100%. That is all I have ever hoped for out of Zen.

^^This x2

It's not the CPU cost that bothers me. Its the platform (X99) that bothers me. If you want decent features, an X99 board is almost twice as expensive as a decent Z170 board where I live.

I don't think that's exactly a secret, but given current RAM prices, you may as well plonk in 4 DIMMs while you're at it, if you're buying into the 2011v3 platform.

Aug 11, 2008
Where there is money to be made there is an opportunity for market speculation.

Digitimes article also mainly talks about Intel's Kaby Lake and states reasons for delay is inventory.. as in Intel wants to sell the current stock before releasing Kaby Lake. Why would AMD care about current Intel stock?

They don't list a reason or a source whatsoever. At least for Kaby Lake they hypothesize a reason, but for Zen they don't even bother to provide that.

I call BS.

Remember before Computex there were also stories of Polaris being delayed. Based on what AMD has said and the leaked NDA document Polaris is coming out at the same time AMD has said it would come out on all along. Middle of the year (actually a few days before if we're being precise).

Did you really read the article?? The reasons for the delay are clearly stated for both companies. You can selectively deny whatever you want though, I suppose.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
This is great info! We can kind of relax that Zen's FM4 platform will not have quad channel support as the above graphs show that it is largely useless.

Maybe. Remmember Haswell-E/Broadwell-E pack 15-25 MB L3 cache. We all know how Skylake-S scales with DDR4.

Last edited:

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Did you really read the article?? The reasons for the delay are clearly stated for both companies. You can selectively deny whatever you want though, I suppose.
Ok genius since you read it what is the reason they state for Zen's delay? And don't tell me it's because market demand has been slow because that makes absolutely zero sense in case of Zen.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Quote: "but both CPU makers have recently postponed their launch schedules to January 2017 at CES 2017 since the upstream supply chain still has serious inventory issues, and market demand has been slow."

Note the word "both". You can insult me if you wish with your sarcasm, but that does not change what the article said, whether you want to hear it or not.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Quote: "but both CPU makers have recently postponed their launch schedules to January 2017 at CES 2017 since the upstream supply chain still has serious inventory issues, and market demand has been slow."

Note the word "both". You can insult me if you wish with your sarcasm, but that does not change what the article said, whether you want to hear it or not.
Ok so how much sense does that make to you.

AMD with non existent market share is delaying Zen because it wants to wait for all those Bulldozers to be sold first?

On a scale of 1-10 how much sense does that make to you?

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

AMD with non existent market share is delaying Zen because it wants to wait for all those Bulldozers to be sold first?

Zero. I am very dubious of this 'report'.

Mar 10, 2006

They're not talking about AMD's internal CPU inventory, they're talking about inventories at the PC builders. The current relative share between Intel and AMD isn't relevant, all that is relevant is total CPU/system inventories.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
They're not talking about AMD's internal CPU inventory, they're talking about inventories at the PC builders. The current relative share between Intel and AMD isn't relevant, all that is relevant is total CPU/system inventories.
By PC builders you mean OEMs?

Can't think of many who are using current AMD Bulldozer CPUs Zen is replacing. In fact I can't think of any.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de

Funny thought: Perhaps the PC builders need a chance to get rid of current HEDT CPUs which might be prone to price drops later. And this already became more difficult due to the Zen hype osbourning the current sales. Just a fun speculation. ;)

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
Funny thought: Perhaps the PC builders need a chance to get rid of current HEDT CPUs which might be prone to price drops later. And this already became more difficult due to the Zen hype osbourning the current sales. Just a fun speculation. ;)
Perhaps Intel offered a few houndred mill to AMD to delay the Zen launch. :D

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Perhaps Intel offered a few houndred mill to AMD to delay the Zen launch. :D
It's very unlikely in this case, but even if there would be a corporate cartel formed by Intel and AMD I wouldn't be surprised.:cool:

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
It's very unlikely in this case, but even if there would be a corporate cartel formed by Intel and AMD I wouldn't be surprised.:cool:
There has been a rumor about Intel dropping Nvidia when their licensing graphics agreement expires in 2017, and that Intel might license the tech from AMD instead.

I think Nvidia is a bigger competitor to Intel than AMD in the HPC space so there might be some validity to them working together, but I still think it's pretty unlikely.

http://marketrealist.com/2016/03/intel-amd-licensing-deal-negatively-impact-nvidia/

Last edited:

IllogicalGlory

Mar 8, 2013
Without a source, it's really no better. "News" about delays and such gets ridiculous numbers of clicks.

It worked great for WCCF. In 6 months, they more than doubled traffic without ever providing any actual news, just made-up stuff that causes controversy.

Wow: https://www.similarweb.com/website/wccftech.com#overview

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
What I find particularly annoying about WCCF is that they now have a pretty high google pagerank, and as a result usually show up above the more reputable sites in google searches.