Zen delayed to 2017 (DigiTimes)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Secondly, Intel handing out awards says literally nothing at all about the inventory in their supply chain...

Yes, because all businesses who aren't being supplied with enough supplies hand out awards for being excellent suppliers to 27 businesses who are nothing to them, besides their suppliers. It happens nearly every day, doesn't it?

Last edited:

agfkfhahddhdn

Dec 14, 2003
Yes, because all businesses who aren't being supplied with enough supplies hand out awards for being excellent suppliers to 27 businesses who are nothing to them, besides their suppliers. It happens nearly every day, doesn't it?

I don't even know where to begin with you, but no, the fact that Intel handed out some awards does not in any way prove that they have enough raw materials at their fabs to produce an appropriate number of chips for a Q4 launch. Those two things could not be related any less.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I don't even know where to begin with you, but no, the fact that Intel handed out some awards does not in any way prove that they have enough raw materials at their fabs produce an appropriate number of chips for a Q4 launch. Those two things could not be related any less.

So, a company handing out awards to more than two dozen of their suppliers...awards for being excellent suppliers I'll remind you, mean nothing whatsoever about how happy they are with their suppliers' capability to supply them? Have you always had such trouble drawing relevant conclusions when presented with relevant facts, or this a new thing?

Aug 11, 2008
Skylake needs fast RAM to performance up to its full potential. Using DDR3-1600 it's sometimes slower than Haswell.

ARMA3.png

Fallout.png

PCLab used fast DDR3-2133 9-9-10-24 1N in their Haswell system and average DDR4-2666 16-17-17-36 2N for Skylake, and still arrived at ~12.7% better gaming performance-per-clock. Add to that Skylake's equal/improved overclocking potential and yes, it's a very competent tock. :)

That is nice for enthusiasts, but what percentage of consumer/enterprise systems have fast enough ram to exploit this potential. My guess would be very few if any. In fact can you even use fast ram in a non-overclocking mother board?

I also want to see these results reproduced from more sites before totally accepting them.

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
Old roadmap shows Oct. 2016 for Summit Ridge.

amd_platform_samples_schedules_zen_summit_ridge.png

The socket is no longer FM3 as well, so the internal estimate from Mar15 is irrelevant. Since we are in Jun16, let's quote something more recent from the CEO in Jan16 which give us an expectation that it's not delay, unlike what this news story indicate.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/a...eo-lisa-su-says-2016-is-the-year-amd-is-back/

On the computing side, there’s a lot of anticipation for Zen. We’re very much committed to deliver Zen on the time scale that we have previously stated, which is: 2016 you’ll see samples, hardware, some early volume, but 2017 is the first full year of volume in servers and desktops. We’re excited. You have a road map that’s very compelling. It’s on us to execute. That’s where I’d like to be, starting in 2016.

Starting in 2016 with early volume -> Dec31 in stock then OOS :) to early Jan with full availability. It's a delay if it's not on shelves in Jan.

Last edited:

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
So, a company handing out awards to more than two dozen of their suppliers...awards for being excellent suppliers I'll remind you, mean nothing whatsoever about how happy they are with their suppliers' capability to supply them? Have you always had such trouble drawing relevant conclusions when presented with relevant facts, or this a new thing?
Dude seriously,nobody hands out rewards for the future...
If intel is unhappy with this shortage it will show at next years awards.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
As long as it's eight cores of Sandy IPC or better for sub $300 I can wait. I am more upset Intel hasn't increased cores counts than them hitting a physics wall on IPC. I want an eight core machine before I die and I don't want to pay workstation prices for it.

Mar 10, 2006
As long as it's eight cores of Sandy IPC or better for sub $300 I can wait. I am more upset Intel hasn't increased cores counts than them hitting a physics wall on IPC. I want an eight core machine before I die and I don't want to pay workstation prices for it.

Why would AMD sell it for sub-$300?

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
The socket is no longer FM3 as well, so the internal estimate from Mar15 is irrelevant. Since we are in Jun16, let's quote something more recent from the CEO in Jan16 which give us an expectation that it's not delay, unlike what this news story indicate.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/14/a...eo-lisa-su-says-2016-is-the-year-amd-is-back/

Starting in 2016 with early volume -> Dec31 in stock then OOS :) to early Jan with full availability. It's a delay if it's not on shelves in Jan.

At the time of the slide was created, the unified socket AM4 was still called as FM3 (due being APU compatible).

Bristol Ridge did happen in July 2016, no? :sneaky:

Aug 11, 2008
Why would AMD sell it for sub-$300?

Well, SB ipc, and maybe slightly lower clocks than Intel would position the 8 core against the 400.00 Intel six core, so they might sell it 350ish. But if it is at all competitive against intel 8 core, it is going to be 500.00 plus. Personally, I would rather have six cores with faster ipc than 8 somewhat slower cores though.

Edit: Zen could also offer a price advantage on the motherboard vs X99 as well.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Well, SB ipc, and maybe slightly lower clocks than Intel would position the 8 core against the 400.00 Intel six core, so they might sell it 350ish. But if it is at all competitive against intel 8 core, it is going to be 500.00 plus. Personally, I would rather have six cores with faster ipc than 8 somewhat slower cores though.

Edit: Zen could also offer a price advantage on the motherboard vs X99 as well.

I'd pay $500 for an 8-core with Sandy IPC without a second thought. When I thought there was a remote possibility of Intel releasing an 8 core for $700, I was going to be all over that.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Jesus, 6 more months of nothingness. They haven't competed in the high end... since... what... Athlon X2 days...

I have a 6 year old i2500k now and am just now searching for 6700k upgrade deals (even though its still probably not needed).

I saw an Intel commercial today telling us to upgrade to the 'new PC' because they have fingerprint scanners now, like laptops haven't had that for 10 years already. Must be getting reeaaaaaallly desperate at this point.

Mar 15, 2003
Jesus, 6 more months of nothingness. They haven't competed in the high end... since... what... Athlon X2 days...

I have a 6 year old i2500k now and am just now searching for 6700k upgrade deals (even though its still probably not needed).

I saw an Intel commercial today telling us to upgrade to the 'new PC' because they have fingerprint scanners now, like laptops haven't had that for 10 years already. Must be getting reeaaaaaallly desperate at this point.

What I don't understand is why us nerds still have so much enthusiasm over new cpus - we know that for the past, shoot, almost decade improvements have been incremental. I believe it's Intel adapting to the market - they're just not moving desktops anymore so why innovate in the field? It seems like this leaves AMD wide open to innovation, but I doubt they have even a fraction of Intel's r&d. I'd personally attack a slow moving target with gusto, but I don't think there's much money in that. I just hope ARM takes over desktop, healthy competition's keeping innovation going at a breakneck pace.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Was that saying 'Initial Production' for Summit Ridge? I could only tell 'Oct.2016' is not an exact release date.

ES = Engineering Sampling
PC = Production Candicate
PR = Production Ready
IP = In Production

Aug 11, 2008
I'd pay $500 for an 8-core with Sandy IPC without a second thought. When I thought there was a remote possibility of Intel releasing an 8 core for $700, I was going to be all over that.

Why? Assume conservatively a 25% ipc increase since SB for intel. 8 cores is only 33% more cores than 6. So that leaves maybe 10% more performance for workloads that can use all 8 cores, and a deficit in anything that uses 6 or less. And that assumes Zen will clock equally high as intel. You can already get a hex core intel for 400.00. Doesnt add up to me.

To sell for 500.00, I think they need ipc between IB and Haswell and competitve clockspeeds. There is a huge gap in price between intel hex and 8 cores where AMD can fit in at 5 to 6 hundred dollars, but they need better than SB performance to do it.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Prove it or it's sourced straight from the author's rectum. Yawn.

Threadcrapping and trolling are not allowed
Not to mention the wording.
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 15, 2003
For me, personally, I built my first PC when I was in middle school. I was 13 years old, I had to skimp and save every dollar I got to afford parts, and AMD massively undercutting Intel on price and efficiency was a godsend (this was the early Athlon XP era). I literally could not have built a PC without them. So despite the fact that my last three builds have been Intel, and despite the fact that I just bought a Skylake and most certainly won't be in the market for a Zen, nothing would please me more to see AMD competing head-to-head with Intel again. Nostalgia, I guess? That's why I'm enthusiastic about this.

I get that, I have fond memories of my first K6 build, and remember loving that they were always at my easily attainable budget and delivered great bang for buck. But that was years ago, and the company has maybe 3 of those employees left over. They're a company, a brand name and in a market that has been grinding to a halt - no one cares about high performance $400 cpus and $1,000 video cards, other than a particular niche of gamers and hobbyists. For most people, a $500 all in one or $200 chromebook will do what they need to do. The niche that's left means volume's low so it'll be very difficult for a company like AMD to make the margins and recoup r&d by making $80 processors that outperform $400 intel offerings.

It just won't happen. It's kinda like when you really hope a singer's going to make an awesome comeback after 10 years of mediocrity, but then they just end up dead in a hotel... Like AMD is Whitney Houston, or MJ without the pervy stuff. I kinda think x86 is dead (and microsoft as we know it, to be honest). I think arm will be where it's at and I look forward to the day I can edit 4k video in a desktop environment with my $300 arm desktop using a hybrid of chrome and android. Apple will do it first with an arm macbook and the rest of the industry will jump ship from x86 with google giving them the platform to do it without a licensing fee. I'll put money on that!

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
Mmm... I am nearly sure that this is FinFet's doing.

Intel can't deliver ungodly chips like SB or IV or even Haswell. Their Broadwell E can't OC more than 4.5 Ghz and Skylake can't go past 4.9 Ghz while SB can go 5.2 Ghz on air and IB and even HW can reach 5.0 Ghz...

nVIDIA can't scale down (so no sub GP 104) for a time and their graphic chips despite are decen't OCers can't past 2.5 Ghz

AMD chips are being delayed and Polaris 10 only manages 390X levels at best and seems that can't OC more.

As for VIA, they might come at 2017, so is time to wait there.
And as for ARM... they are still good, but definately needs more improvements.

In few words FinFet ended to be a sidegrade instead a massive upgrade. A lackluster improvement that needs more fixing than other things.
So definately according to this thread:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2474487

The true upgrade will be EUV.