Question Z690+Alder Lake CPU and new Windows 11 OS vs WIndows 10

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
My current gaming rig (Sandy Bridge Intel) is old enough to deserve a nice upgrade.
That being said I decided to go with the latest techs have to offer.
I just picked up an Asus Z690 P Prime Wifi D4 mobo with an Intel i5-12600k cpu at my local Microcenter.
While over there I was warned by the rep that the Z690 only plays nice with new Windows 11 but not Windows 10 due to what he's been hearing ie. drivers incompatibilities etc.
I just bought a new windows 10 key with the intent to use it in the new rig and now based on what I was told I am a bit hesitant to stay with Wins 10. I am also fully aware that the Adler Lake and Z690 design were tailored to Windows 11 OS and I wanted to stay with 10 until 11 is mature enough to jump on board.
Is the guy at MC full of s**t or what he said was warranted given the Windows 11 only a few months since released?

Why_Me

Mar 31, 2022
My current gaming rig (Sandy Bridge Intel) is old enough to deserve a nice upgrade.
That being said I decided to go with the latest techs have to offer.
I just picked up an Asus Z690 P Prime Wifi D4 mobo with an Intel i5-12600k cpu at my local Microcenter.
While over there I was warned by the rep that the Z690 only plays nice with new Windows 11 but not Windows 10 due to what he's been hearing ie. drivers incompatibilities etc.
I just bought a new windows 10 key with the intent to use it in the new rig and now based on what I was told I am a bit hesitant to stay with Wins 10. I am also fully aware that the Adler Lake and Z690 design were tailored to Windows 11 OS and I wanted to stay with 10 until 11 is mature enough to jump on board.
Is the guy at MC full of s**t or what he said was warranted given the Windows 11 only a few months since released?
Never heard of 12 gen cpu's not being covered by warranty due to using Windows 10. That might be a first. With that said Windows 11 is tailored around Alder Lake to the point using Windows 11 can gain you up to 20 more fps in games vs using Windows 10 with those cpu's.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
MC sales people talk out their @$$ and typically aren't all that technical. Ignore whatever they said and just do whatever you want to do. Though performance increases with W11 over W10 due to the configuration MSFT did in W11. ITD isn't rolled into W10 at this point and may never be. If you want true performance though going with Linux unleashes all the power though you'll need to get creative when it comes to Windows based software to get it to run.

I'm using W11 and not having any issues on my laptop (9750H) but run Linux on my server where my 12700K lives.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I just bought a new windows 10 key with the intent to use it in the new rig and now based on what I was told I am a bit hesitant to stay with Wins 10.
Your windows 10 key will work for activating windows 11, both at clean install or when upgrading.
All drivers since windows 7 are the same and will work on later versions of windows.
Some games will be faster on the new thread manager some will be faster on win 10 so for the time being there is no wrong way but since more and more things will be optimized for win 11 going forward why not change now and get used to it.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I bit the bullet and dove in with the new Wins 11 and I'm happy to report that it seems working like a charm and a lot of times I did not even notice I was running Wins 11 (which is essentially a wins 10). When combines with the I5-12600k and the RTX3070 ti. It brings a whole new dimension of gaming experience like never before. I play all my games in 4k + max setting and still gets extra FPS to spare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tech Junky