Z68-UD7-B3 motherboard spotted!!!

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well, the UD7 model designation goes to Gigabyte's highest end boards, so that price is not out of line.

Personally I'm looking forward to Z68 chipset ITX boards. Foxconn already has a $75 H67 chipset ITX board which is looking mighty fine for a budget build, but I want to see ITX taken to the next level.

Lightflash

Oct 12, 2010
I laugh when I look at this case. I did not realize it before on my UD7, but there are an overabundance of 3s on the outside. Glad they stuck with the gold and black design since it is refreshing to the blue Gigabyte normally uses.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Obviously if they are going to be using it... Gigabyte went with no UEFI for their original sandy bridge boards

And additionally if they still have plans to provide it for the P67 customers, as they have already promised.

Hogan773

Nov 2, 2010
see the other thread - sounds like Gigabyte is dumping the P67 from its lineup.

I sense that the P67 is going to be quite short lived. Once Z68 is out, as long as its similar price I'd assume most mfrs and customers would just go with that.

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010

I sense that the P67 is going to be quite short lived. Once Z68 is out, as long as its similar price I'd assume most mfrs and customers would just go with that.

More or less what i predicted. Why would anyone buy a P67 board when they can get a Z68 board??? No one would to be honest.

I'm on a P67 board, but i'm not overly fussed about not having Quicksync or SSD caching. It would be nice to have, but not worth buying a new motherboard over, not for me at least.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010

US$410 isn't exactly similar. Well, it is, for me, I guess. o_O

Lightflash

Oct 12, 2010
Sorry for the random question and yes I know they did not use the UEFI like everyone else did.

As long as they use a BIOS/UEFI that is not buggy, I could really care less which is used. I know at least a few motherboards have memory for a few dual BIOS/UEFI and then some extra as well. Just want it to be stable and not select something like EIST and then find another EIST elsewhere that does something totally different.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Obviously if they are going to be using it... Gigabyte went with no UEFI for their original sandy bridge boards

From what I understand the Gigabyte board I was looking at, which was an original SB. They use UEFI, it's just they decided to stick with the boring old school looking text only bios.

flexcore

Jul 4, 2010
I'm and AMD guy, but I've been tempted by SB. If BD doesn't beat SB I think I'll get that that Gigabyte board for my first Intel build in many years. That board looks to be really sweet!

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
From what I understand the Gigabyte board I was looking at, which was an original SB. They use UEFI, it's just they decided to stick with the boring old school looking text only bios.

You're right; I forgot about that. The text-versus-GUI was more what I was thinking of -- were they going to take that next step and have the full graphical interface. They were talking about getting there eventually when the P67 boards launched, if I remember correctly.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Gigabyte is probably using the positives and negatives of other UEFI's to develop their own that'll best them all. At least I hope that's why they're slacking...

And I agree. Why would they continue with P67 when Z68 simply adds an extra connection and SSD caching? That won't cost hardly anything to add unless Intel wants to charge up the ass for the chip.

Last edited:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
What are the odds of having at least one decent Z68 for under $200?

Very good, Gigabyte & MSI at least put out cheaper boards all the time for the low end.

Upgrading to Z68 is a big part of the reason I went with a cheap P67 UD3. Quicksync isn't a big concern for me but I want the SSD caching.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
I remember an article at vr-zone that mentioned that MB makers planned to lower the price of Z68 to make it comparable with P67. can't find it since my FF history search is broke.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
None of these features really interest me.

Now that P67 is basically confirmed as Ivy Bridge compatible I think I'll arrange my p67 B2 to get replaced with the new revision. I was waiting to see what Z68 and Bulldozer would do but Bulldozer is just lost in space somewhere. It's the Duke Nukem Forever of cpus