Z28 or Trans-AM???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Slap

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Orbius,

Great post. One reason for the high sales of Mustangs is that women buy them left and right. THat is all I ever see driving them.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
The trans am really looks sporty and tough from straight on. Those RAM air scoops look like they could eat you up!

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
XYVYX-

I agree with all you said. I like muscle cars but appreciate a lot of others. Fell in love with a BMW 328 coupe this summer but just not ready for that image yet. An almost perfect car if it had a small v-8

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Actually giving everyone a chance I would get a Z06 still I got my latest Car & Driver I got today actually listed the Tested Z06 they had was $45,000. That is a awesome price for a car like that, Especially since the motor is based off the LS1 So blowers are available for it already. Where all the european cars they compare it to you deal with an already rediculous price and with as high of compression they have NO Blower.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
"I think the lack of sales of the Z28 or Trans Am is more a reflection of our culture than anything else. Men are disapperaing and are being replaced with pseudo-men(yuppies), and homos. Theres no men left to enjoy these cars. "

Or, maybe some of us have figured out that our car isn't an extension of our willies ;)

Gimme an AWD A4 anyday over a Z28. Once winter rolls around, that Z28 is useless :p

Of course if you don't get any snow in your area, then the point is invalid :)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Ahhhhh I hated the day I had to drive my Brothers 92 LX in the snow........ I love my Auto-Track button in my truck :)

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Au Contraire Vi, the Camaro and TA have available traction control, that make it very useable in icy/wet conditions.
By saying that the Camaro and TA are good cars doesnt invalidate the A4 as a good car. My brother had an Audi A6, and it was nice but seemed rather expensive for what it is, but hey if Audi's float your boat go for it.

All I'm saying is that the reason Camaro's get a bad rap, is that you get too many 'out of their skulls' teenagers driving them who have absolutely no clue how to handle the thing. When the truth is in the right hands, the car is a very potent machine in all respects.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Don't know about where you guy's live but where I come from only the yuppies drive Audi's... So all I have for em is the phrase "Audi MY WAY!!"

:)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
Base Retail Price: $17,075 - $28,750

2001 Audi A4
Base Retail Price: $24,540 - $30,340

Hmmm.... a year or two's worth of insurance would more than cover the difference ;)

Now where's the yuppie come into play? heheheeheh :D :p

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Between the A4 and Camaro - I'd much rather have something fast (The Camaro - duh). In my book, I'd much rather have something that whips rather than something nicer looking that chugs...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Yeah that Camry with the 120hp motor is in the same class as the Z28.

The fact is if you're a clueless moron who likes to stamp the gas pedal to the floor and generally abuse your car, Japanese cars are better, they seem to put up with any old person.
>>

Are you CLUELESS?? When did you EVER hear me compare my car to a Camaro. thebestMAX asked me what kind of car and I told him. You're just pulling sh!t out of thin air. It's a good thing I had to be out or else I would have blasted your ass earlier. And what do you know about me and how I drive. You don't know Jack Sh!t.

There is not one time where I say that my Camry was better than a Camaro or any other car in this thread. And I don't have to floor my car b/c it has excellent pickup and I don't need to burn rubber going from stoplight to stoplight. It is an economical car that I use to travel between home and school and around town. It gets excellent gas mileage and is a reliable car that hasn't seen ANY problems in 90,000 miles.

Now, for a comparison to a Camaro (old or new), my car is better built and uses a higher grade of materials and doesn't squeak and rattle (even for a 5 year old car).

I never discredited the Camaro or the Firebird for their performance as they are unrivaled by any other car in their class but the Mustang Cobra R (at TWICE the price). So STFU!

Now I don't know what you were trying to prove by attacking me for no good reason, but you just make yourself look like an ASS.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
The cost of a car doesn't make a difference if a yuppie ownes it, it's based on being a &quot;Trendy Car&quot; Like a VW bug even with a turbo still slow...but they buy them.. it's a symbol thing, if it's about money why would they buy a Lexus Suv?? When the suburban has a better motor with more power and can do more.. cause the Lexus symbol..

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Two Words: Knight Rider.....so yea..i would choose a black Trans-Am....but it has to look like KITT (in terms of the body style..it doesn't need the glowing red lights..but that would be nice =) Actually that's been my dream since I was 8..I'm 17 now..and it's still my dream!

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
TBM: I perfer the Formulas currently because of the nose. The Formula's looks a bit better than the TA, other than that there isn't much difference. (or at least nothing that a few after market mods couldn't take care of)

Chooie

Platinum Member
Nov 8, 1999
Actually, JC Whitney sells the red lightbar that KITT wears, as well as the amber one on KARR.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, tonight I saw a Chevy S-10 that had scrolling KITT lights on the rear bumper on either side of the trailer hitch. Very weird looking

Apr 5, 2000
LAUST - actually I've heard quite a few people complaining about the IRS hurting launches off the line. Hell MM&amp;FF did a live axle swap on their 99 Cobra the first month they got it. THAT right there tells you something isn't right. And quite a few other Cobra owners have done LA swaps. That and I've heard theres been a few problems that popped up with the 99 Cobras, unrelated to the IRS though, which was why the 2000 (or was it the 2001) Cobras were never released.

And I don't like GM but I'd take the Firebird over the Z anyday - I mean, the Firebird's body shape has speed written over it, whereas the Z looks like it got put through the ugly machine at GM's factory.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Daemon-

Yep on the nose.

When I bought mine I wanted the Formula nose with T/A spoiler as I just dont like the flat rear end. Now, I like the front on mine (93) better than the new ones.

The Ram Air hood is far out thought, HMNNNN, put that on a Formula and then.......

Please, no Firehawk replys.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
NFS4: They have a convention every year where people bring out their KITT converted TransAm. They have the dashboard just like KITT (even with two TVs), the lights, the rims...everything! You can buy KITT conversion stuff over the internet.