Youtuber "Gopher"

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I hate the idea of watching people play videogames, and almost never do, but I stumbled across one youtuber who I enjoy watching. I've watched hours and still enjoy it.

The first game I saw was The Stanley Parable, and if you've played it, check that one out (obviously spoilers). He has dozens of games to pick from with hundreds of hours if not thousands.

I say 'why am I watching someone play' while watching, but keep enjoying more. It's entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io3c1USf0V4

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
It's not really any different than watching someone play a sport, cook a dish, hunt deer, go fishing, play cards, fix cars/houses, etc.

I don't actually watch anyone on Twitch though. I used to watch Day9 play games, but stopped when started focusing on Hearthstone. I do watch professional Starcraft 2 games, namely GSL.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It's not really any different than watching someone play a sport, cook a dish, hunt deer, go fishing, play cards, fix cars/houses, etc.

I don't actually watch anyone on Twitch though. I used to watch Day9 play games, but stopped when started focusing on Hearthstone. I do watch professional Starcraft 2 games, namely GSL.

Well, it is different because you're not watching him because he's good, like Starcraft 2, or educational, like cooking shows.

It's just entertainment and the only one I find entertaining. Most are obnoxious.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I know Gopher.

His Skyrim lets play videos are very popular. His Skyrim mod tutorials are very helpful. He even has a few popular mods on Nexus as well.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I've used his in-depth Skyrim video modding guides for years, literally. Thanks to him basically (and, well, the mods themselves) my Skyrim experience went from about a 4 out of 10 to 'practically the best game ever made' for at least the full year or so when I played it regularly post-modding (Bethesda games without mods are excessively bland and boring for me, with the sole exception of Fallout 4 which for me is 'fine' by default). I have, as well, watched some of his gameplay videos (for Skyrim) since he adds role-play in them. He's often coming up with good one-liners, snarky replies and overall has a good (and subtle, sarcastic / cynical) sense of humor (depending on his role-play). I've only watched a handful of them though, I don't really have the patience to watch people play games for long (be it playthroughs by 'episodes' or even on Twitch; usually get bored or have my fill after 15 to 20 minutes max). He's good though, entertaining and does put work to his YouTube content.

But I've known him because of his modding guides, they are great.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Well, it is different because you're not watching him because he's good, like Starcraft 2, or educational, like cooking shows.

It's just entertainment and the only one I find entertaining. Most are obnoxious.
I watch Chef John because he's good and entertaining. ;)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I've used his in-depth Skyrim video modding guides for years, literally. Thanks to him basically (and, well, the mods themselves) my Skyrim experience went from about a 4 out of 10 to 'practically the best game ever made' for at least the full year or so when I played it regularly post-modding (Bethesda games without mods are excessively bland and boring for me, with the sole exception of Fallout 4 which for me is 'fine' by default). I have, as well, watched some of his gameplay videos (for Skyrim) since he adds role-play in them. He's often coming up with good one-liners, snarky replies and overall has a good (and subtle, sarcastic / cynical) sense of humor (depending on his role-play). I've only watched a handful of them though, I don't really have the patience to watch people play games for long (be it playthroughs by 'episodes' or even on Twitch; usually get bored or have my fill after 15 to 20 minutes max). He's good though, entertaining and does put work to his YouTube content.

But I've known him because of his modding guides, they are great.

For a fun five minutes, watch the first five minutes of this episode, when he's furious at not getting a reward for an assassination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALWzHXK0BbA

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Back before it was popular and/or common to watch someone else video games, I used to really enjoy watching highlight videos from a first-person shooter that I played often (Quake 2). I think it helps if it's a skill-based game, and you have sufficient experience playing this game, which allows you to identify and appreciate when a high level of skill is on display (Something I can't currently do with a game like Rocket League, for example). Also, it can be nice to get an idea of what a game is like, if it happens to be a game you're considering purchasing, by watching someone else play it.