gingerkitten

Jan 14, 2017
So, I'm using about 10 seconds of a song from the popular artist, Michael Buble, in one of my animations. I'm not making money from it, nor do I want to, and I have already seen other channels do things like this before (not the same music) without being copyrighted. Am I okay with this????

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Depends on who complains. If the rights holder has a problem with it, then you'll get taken down. An exception can be made for commentary on the specific clip, but you probably aren't doing that, and you probably don't have a team of lawyers to protect your rights.

Support free culture, and insist on the cc label.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I heard that you can use up to 15 seconds of copyrighted material for "sampling".

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Can u stop fvcking up my mp3 files, u don't see me runnin around smashin all ur vynils. Ty.

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Have you looked at the YouTube FAQ pages and the All-Knowing Google?

It's not fair use. I've read that in some cases Google lets you do this if you let the rights-holder take all advertising revenue from the video. Since you don't care about making money that should be OK with you.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I dunno I made a memorial video years ago for my dad when he passed away that is just a slideshow with clips of songs that he loved as the background, and YouTube muted my video permanently. They simply removed the sound track. Pretty fucking retarded.

Google in general is just assholes about that shit. I had stuff pulled from the Play Store that wasn't even violating copyrights but someone said they were, so Google pulled them without even caring if they were legit or not.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
No clue. I have heard of exceptions but I think only the biggest YouTubers get away with it because the rest get auto-flagged. The high-rollers get "premium" customer service from YouTube.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's very hit or miss. You're "suppose" to be allowed to use copyrighted material if you are making a parody or if it's for non profit, or other fair use cases. But Youtube does not see it that way. It's also random if, when and how they hit you. I get dinged on videos that I've had up for 5+ years sometimes. Most of my videos are in no way commercial, they arn't even monetized, but yet I still get hit. Sometimes it's almost instant. At times they just notify you but nothing happens, other times they mute the audio, sometimes they take the whole video down and give you a strike. I got a strike over a 5 second video once where they took it down. It was not even a copyrighted video, as in, not something commercially produced, it was just a clip from another youtube video. I've heard of people getting dinged for videos that they originally made and is 100% OC but perhaps someone uploaded it before.

It seems the bigger channels get more leeway and small non serious channels pretty much get a zero tolerance policy. I've seen clips of copyrighted work in other videos before on more popular channels, but I know as a fact if I tried that I would get dinged. Though there are ways around that for audio, such as slightly altering the speed. For video you can flip it, if it works for that context. Depends on the video sometimes it may simply not be an option to flip it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I recently made a video of a softball field a company donated to a local Catholic school, the only compensation that I received was a free soft drink while on site filming with my drone. The video was for a submission to their association's charitable deeds contest which if they win the association donates $10,000 to the same non-profit. The owner of the company chose some background music and since it was non-profit I knew, or at least I am pretty damn sure, that it's legit. I put the finished video on Youtube simply so that the 3 people involved could easily view it and let me know if they wanted me to tweak it in any way. It had 12 views total and I got some sort of copyright email about it. I very rarely upload videos to Youtube, this was the first in well over a year and when I do it's for the convenience of a very few people, not meant to get more than a few dozen views. So I wasn't really concerned with the email, they didn't take down the video, but I was kind of curious how they discovered it. I didn't list it as for non-profit reasons, guess I should have but I knew that it would only be viewed a dozen or two times in total.

I have a very hard time believing that someone stumbled upon the video who then made a complaint but I never cared enough to look any further into it. Shrug, video served it's intended purpose, they didn't actually take it down, it was indeed for a non-profit and I made no money from it so fuck em. I guess I should take it down now though so thanks for the reminder.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
So, I'm using about 10 seconds of a song from the popular artist, Michael Buble, in one of my animations. I'm not making money from it, nor do I want to, and I have already seen other channels do things like this before (not the same music) without being copyrighted. Am I okay with this????

Google would have answered your question in two seconds. Use Google.