Your Top 5 Favorite Kitchen Appliances and Why

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Just ordered the bluetooth enabled instant pot. Gonna try that kalua pig recipe the day it comes in.
http://forums.anandtech.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I have the Bluetooth one; it's good & bad. Well, not bad, but I just don't use the Bluetooth as much as I thought I would (same as with the Anova, although I've never used the Bluetooth feature on there). I keep all of my recipes in Evernote on my phone, so it's no trouble to whip out the cooking info. I'd like to use the Bluetooth function more often, because it does let you program in extra stuff like ramped cook times/temps/pressures/whatever, but most of the stuff I do just involves dumping the food in & hitting a button, then waiting til its done :D

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Good quick scale: started using for baking relatively recently. Also worked out weights on our own recipes so now they are infinitely foolproof (but not wife proof :hmm: ) and repeatable. Less mess, faster...

I got a scale for IIFYM & have ended up using it a ton in baking...my stuff comes out way better using accurate weight measurements. Protip: thanks to advances in food, they powderize a LOT Of stuff these days (using carriers like maltodextrin). A lot of the stuff is not cheap for the initial purchase, but you get a lot of usable quantity for the money. For example, this is the can of powdered whole eggs I buy for baking & cooking: (it's the entire egg, just powdered, so it works just fine with homemade mayo & other stuff)

http://shop.honeyville.com/powdered-whole-eggs.html

$42 isn't chump change, but you get 78 eggs per #10 can (the ratio is 2T powder to 3T water = 1 egg). These aren't good for cooking stuff like scrambled eggs straight up (you want whole egg crystals for that), this is for incorporating into DIY recipes & mixes. So for example, you can make your own waffle mix, pancake mix, and cake mix using flour, salt, whole powdered eggs, etc. It's really slick. Check out Hoosier Hill Farm, Barry Farm, and Anthony's Goods on Amazon for more powders (butter powder, sour cream powder, cheddar cheese powder, heavy cream powder, cream cheese powder, yogurt powder, buttermilk powder, spinach powder, peanut butter powder, you name it!).

Just be sure to note the expiration date once opened for your DIY mixes (also, read the reviews, because there's a huge difference between stuff like the way eggs are powdered & their intended uses, not to mention the quality from brand to brand of a specific powder). Mylar bags work pretty good for sealing for longer-term (along with an oxygen packet), or ziploc bags if you use them in pretty short order. Anyway, it's nice because you can customize a recipe to your liking (like if you typically use yogurt as your secret ingredient in pancakes), literally bottle it, and have a bulletproof homemade mix ready to go anytime you want to use it - just add water!

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I have the Bluetooth one; it's good & bad. Well, not bad, but I just don't use the Bluetooth as much as I thought I would (same as with the Anova, although I've never used the Bluetooth feature on there). I keep all of my recipes in Evernote on my phone, so it's no trouble to whip out the cooking info. I'd like to use the Bluetooth function more often, because it does let you program in extra stuff like ramped cook times/temps/pressures/whatever, but most of the stuff I do just involves dumping the food in & hitting a button, then waiting til its done :D

Yeah it might be that way with me too. I'm just one of those people that has to get the "better version" of stuff simply because I know I'll forever wonder about the missing functionality if I don't. Getting the one without Bluetooth and really liking it might mean I end up turning around and buying the Bluetooth one anyway, so I might as well cut to the chase. :p

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
We have cats so a butter crock is an impossibility in our house. Found out after 3 broken butter crocks. Cats would bat the thing off of the counter. Eat all the butter on the floor. Otherwise Id love to have one.

We had this one that fits upside down and uses a water seal to stop the butter from going rancid: http://www.chowhound.com/blog-media/2015/02/525326f7697ab0619f00bb83._w.460_h.234_s.fit_.jpg

Yeah, I have one like that. Oddly enough, my two cats aren't interested in it.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
How good is a food processor for cutting things like veggies and onions? Which one would you reccomend?

Love it for that, it's main purpose is to cut up veggies for lunch casseroles. I like Cuisinart ones, I actually have two (one is pretty much just for parties). Get one with a blade attachedment with different cut types. A slicing blade that lets you change the depth is best case.

Just ordered the dehydrator. Send me any and all recipes! Or is it just as simple as slicing the fruit and putting it in the drawers?.

Basically. Start with banana chips. Super easy and can be cut with a butter knife. About an eigth of an inch thick each. Don't use mat, only white mesh that is standard on tray (almost never use mat) and leave a little space between each(not touching). Run then for a day on 3/4ths heat, cool 30 mins before removing. Adding some cayenne pepper for fun if you want. Overipe bananas work best if you can not overdo it.

If you like potato chips take some kale and smother some BBQ sauce on it. Run those at half heat for 12 hours and full heat for another 10 or less depending on humidity and how wet you got the kale. It's done when it's crispy, no cool down. Pineapple chips are also fun, same trick as bananas except different knife. Makes your tongue feel crazy after a few.

If you have a nice blender blend some fruit and pour it on a mat. Make sure some of the fruit is berries, and make it even like sauce on a pizza. Do it high heat for a day and sit for an hour and your have to die for fruit roll ups.

Advanced drying pretty much needs a food processor or mandolin to get things thin enough. Apples are good at 3-4mm, leave speace between slices and run at max for 24 hours cool for 30 mins and add cinnamon. Your family will fight for those I use that as Xmas presents. 3/4th heat same amount of time makes a healthier less crunchy version. Apples that aren't sweet are better, I like galas.

My all-time favorite is bosque pears cut 2 mm thin stacked on each other three layers thick in a different pattern each layer. Run at 60% heat for 36 hours and let cool for an hour than put in the fridge overnight. Makes a pear sheet that can be put on other desserts like ice cream to make you super fancy.

Overall it's a great way to get junk food out of your life.

What do you typically juice? I've honestly never heard of veggies/fruits that increase testosterone.

I juice a lot of stuff in different mixes. Chards, kale (3 kinds), spinach, beets, celery, collard, ginger, cucumber (most important), sweet potato, arugula, cilantro, romaine, turmeric, and probably something else I can't think of. Sometimes I mix a little organic premade juice in for taste (like Apple or orange) or salt or pepper even, sometimes not.

None of it has testosterone in it, but drinking a juice every day where each juice was half a laundry basket of raw greens boosted my natural testosterone production though the roof. I think all the iron in the beets helped me the most personally, you can actually overdo it on those and hurt yourself.

I love the Vitamix but green juice is easily the best health food thing I have ever done. They are disgusting sometimes (some are great) but I literally feel years younger. Some companies like Suja make decent ones you can buy. The trick is if either of the first two ingredients in the list are fruit don't buy it it's sugar water.

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
And this thread is great BTW. I needed a butter crock in my life and I wouldn't have guessed Google "crock" with butter for a container if my life depended on it.

Also it has me really close to getting an Anova. A Slickdeals notification is set, which means it's going to happen eventually.

Last edited:

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I feel like I need a dehydrator now.

I also agree that a decent scale is great to have around. I bought mine mainly for brewing but I find myself using it for everyday cooking quite a bit as well. The one I got measures into the several pounds category as well, so I can use it for a lot of things (like measuring packages if needed).

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Basically. Start with banana chips. Super easy and can be cut with a butter knife. About an eigth of an inch thick each. Don't use mat, only white mesh that is standard on tray (almost never use mat) and leave a little space between each(not touching). Run then for a day on 3/4ths heat, cool 30 mins before removing. Adding some cayenne pepper for fun if you want. Overipe bananas work best if you can not overdo it.

If you like potato chips take some kale and smother some BBQ sauce on it. Run those at half heat for 12 hours and full heat for another 10 or less depending on humidity and how wet you got the kale. It's done when it's crispy, no cool down. Pineapple chips are also fun, same trick as bananas except different knife. Makes your tongue feel crazy after a few.

If you have a nice blender blend some fruit and pour it on a mat. Make sure some of the fruit is berries, and make it even like sauce on a pizza. Do it high heat for a day and sit for an hour and your have to die for fruit roll ups.

Advanced drying pretty much needs a food processor or mandolin to get things thin enough. Apples are good at 3-4mm, leave speace between slices and run at max for 24 hours cool for 30 mins and add cinnamon. Your family will fight for those I use that as Xmas presents. 3/4th heat same amount of time makes a healthier less crunchy version. Apples that aren't sweet are better, I like galas.

My all-time favorite is bosque pears cut 2 mm thin stacked on each other three layers thick in a different pattern each layer. Run at 60% heat for 36 hours and let cool for an hour than put in the fridge overnight. Makes a pear sheet that can be put on other desserts like ice cream to make you super fancy.

Overall it's a great way to get junk food out of your life.

:thumbsup:

Few questions though:

1) What is the mat for if it's not used?
2)What do you mean by 'overdoing' overripe bananas? Letting them go for too long?
3) For the kale chips... could you explain the humidity/wetness thing?

I never really was a junk food guy to begin with, but I'm looking forward to getting the sugar-soaked, store-bought, dried fruit out of my life that I'm addicted to these days. :D

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
It is time consuming for sure, but if you are addicted to junk it will help push you away from store bought chips and candies.

I see that there are 5 tray models of your dehydrator available for a bit less money. 9 trays seemed excessive to me to begin with. I don't think I'd be dehydrating stuff in that kind of volume, so I'm looking at the smaller one. Are there any advantages to the larger one aside from the amount of stuff you can dehydrate per batch that might make me consider it anyway?

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002

I also use a dehydrator and the mat is used for rollups. You make a fruit blend and pour the liquid from the blender on the mat. The mat usually has a lip on the edges to hold the liquid. Dehydrate the liquid and it turns into a fruit rollup.

Feb 10, 2000
Thermapen. Fast and accurate.

I love love love my Thermapen, and have bought them as gifts as well. Just the other day I grilled some amazing kabobs - some lamb and some chicken - on my Yoder grill. They were probably the best I've ever eaten. I really don't think I could have gotten both the lamb and chicken kabobs perfect without the Thermapen, since the meats have such different optimal temps (135 for the lamb and 165 for the chicken), and a regular thermometer is too thick and too slow to do the job with 1" cubes of meat.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I love the Vitamix but green juice is easily the best health food thing I have ever done. They are disgusting sometimes (some are great)

I grew up with a misconception that all green smoothies were disgusting, but after getting my Blendtec & trying some out, you can actually making some bangin' flavors, even though it ends up looking the same (green sludge!). Like pineapple & spinach makes for an amazingly sweet base...from there you can throw in a frozen banana to make it creamy, maybe some yogurt to thicken it up, some honey if you need more sweetener, some protein powder to add more punch, etc.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

Fruit roll ups.

2)What do you mean by 'overdoing' overripe bananas? Letting them go for too long?

Yeah. If they won't cut (its just mush) you went too far.

3) For the kale chips... could you explain the humidity/wetness thing?

Sure. You see, dried kale doesn't really taste great on its own. Purple kale isn't bad, but really the whole "kale chips" thing is just allowing us to have the potato chip seasonings we like (BBQ, sour cream, cheesy, etc.) on a better for you "chip" base.

You never want the kale pieces so drenched it makes a mess and leaks everywhere, but someone who is more used to kale tasted might just want a thin coat of the topping, while someone used to tasty potato chips will want a thicker coat and for the kale leaf fringes to have the topping matted between them (this is what a lot of storebought chips are like). The more topping you use, the longer it takes to dry.

In regards to humidity a place that is more humid might need longer drying times, or vice versa. For the most part this doesn't matter, but when I lived in dry west Texas the times were about 20% less.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I see that there are 5 tray models of your dehydrator available for a bit less money. 9 trays seemed excessive to me to begin with. I don't think I'd be dehydrating stuff in that kind of volume, so I'm looking at the smaller one. Are there any advantages to the larger one aside from the amount of stuff you can dehydrate per batch that might make me consider it anyway?

They are the same, it is just how much you can do. I have the big one and I always make a lot, I end up giving a lot away. Great way to get on people's good side, everyone loves fruit chips.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
LD5c73D.jpg

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

I *want* to like that...but it just looks like a massive pain in the ass to clean.

My 12" cast iron does just fine. I can cook 4 sausage patties in there at once, use the leftover grease to fry up 4 eggs and while the eggs cook I can use the toaster to cook the bread. Takes about 15 minutes total and then I just wipe out and rinse the skillet and call it good.

Probably does a better sear on the sausage in the skillet too.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
I *want* to like that...but it just looks like a massive pain in the ass to clean.

My 12" cast iron does just fine. I can cook 4 sausage patties in there at once, use the leftover grease to fry up 4 eggs and while the eggs cook I can use the toaster to cook the bread. Takes about 15 minutes total and then I just wipe out and rinse the skillet and call it good.

Probably does a better sear on the sausage in the skillet too.

I never trust these 'all-in-one' gadgets for a few reasons:

1) too many pieces/parts to potentially break or malfunction in some sort of way
2) typically cheaply made by some off-brand company trying to make money
3) limitations (ie, makes one at a time)
4) cleaning

Your method is a hell of a lot better ... both quality wise and quantity wise. :D I actually just bought the 10" lodge circular griddle to add to my cast iron inventory. Should be here tomorrow. :thumbsup:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008GKDN...colid=A35SKK1416MN&coliid=IZ7CLFVLA43KM&psc=1

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Take a look at the Thermopop (same company). It reads very fast, just not "instantly" like the Thermapen. I use mine all the time and it works really well. I get a "close" reading within a couple of seconds and a stable reading in about five. Just don't buy it from Amazon because for whatever reason it sells for something like 3x the price there right now.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/thermopop.html

If you want to see something really cool, check out their BlueTherm Bluetooth enabled versions of their temperature probes. The smartphone app for it is pretty slick!