Your thoughts on the new AMD Catalyst 11.11a drivers

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
installed and working fine... supposedly give a boost ~7% or so for skyrim, which is cool cuz im still gameing that.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Good to hear the speed boost Arkadrel. That is what we want out of drivers, simply better performance and compatibility. These 11.11a drivers are pretty solid. I don't think anyone should get a BSOD but I read on a forum about people experiencing that with different configs of course.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
Seems to work fine, like most drivers have done for me

I'm only a little disappointed we still don't have support for command lists

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
Did you says Windows 8 ? You serious ? Your using that free Win8 preview. Your are brave!!!

D:D:D:

i was going to upgrade from xp to win7 and wasn't sure about 32 or 64 bit so i tried win8 32 and now 64.after you get rid of the metro interface it's pretty good and i'm using it as my main os.the main thing i like about it is the fast boot up,from a cold boot it's about 10 seconds to desk top and thats with an ide hard drive

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
i was going to upgrade from xp to win7 and wasn't sure about 32 or 64 bit so i tried win8 32 and now 64.after you get rid of the metro interface it's pretty good and i'm using it as my main os.the main thing i like about it is the fast boot up,from a cold boot it's about 10 seconds to desk top and thats with an ide hard drive

Wow no kidding 10 seconds boot up WOW. Now it takes 2 minutes with Win7

Also make sure you use 64bit so you can use 4GB and above of RAM.

Its your main OS wow ? Your not getting any issues, with drivers or apps ?

and yes the Metro interface thing is soo stupid IMO , big banners to view your pics,, Ill pass They made it into a half SmartPhone DROID. In this case Windows 8 phone.

So I think Windows 8 is , half smartphone and half OS.

That is the first free preview Im shocked your not running into problems.

I run a DAW ,, Sonar X1c Producer ,,,, its too risky for me, especially with the modded sound drivers Im using to get 1ms latency.

Im gonna stick with Windows 7 and hopefully see service pack 2. Then Im not going to upgrade to 8 , Ill upgrade to Win9 in 2017. lol o_O

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
all the programs(except trixx and afterburner) i used in xp work with win8.win7 drivers work fine,you just have to make sure you install them as admin.i can overclock my cards with ccc and it works perfect it just gets dicey with trixx and afterburner when i go beyond ccc's limits

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
all the programs(except trixx and afterburner) i used in xp work with win8.win7 drivers work fine,you just have to make sure you install them as admin.i can overclock my cards with ccc and it works perfect it just gets dicey with trixx and afterburner when i go beyond ccc's limits

Wow Im shocked to hear this. But wait are you stressing about the expiration date of that preview ? I think it was December 2011

So basically use Win7 driver on Win8 ,,,,,, hmmmmmmm But what sticks out about the OS, other then the 10 second boot time on a IDE drive.

We hate Metro..... soo what its just a little interface change , what are you gaining by using the Win8 preview ? thx gl, D:D:D:

hdfxst

May 13, 2009
mine says it expires 3/11/2012 so i figure i have until then to find a deal on win7.from what i can see is it's the same as win7 once you get rid of metro ui

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
o_O where did you get that from?

http://www.techpowerup.com/155538/AMD-Rolls-Out-Catalyst-11.11a-Performance-Driver.html

11.11a

A list of changes follows:
Batman Arkham City
  • Improves DirectX 11 performance for single GPU configurations
Rage
  • Delivers AMD CrossfireX performance scaling
  • Resolves a number of image / stability issues seen with the title:eek: Fix geometry corruption, sometimes seen in Bash TV entrance
    o Fix issues with Low-memory conditions on 32bit systems.
    o Fix issue with extreme corruption with missing textures on 32bit systems.
    o Fix memory leaks when deleting/reusing sync objects.
    o Fix hitching and pausing, especially noticeable on some Quad Core systems when doing races and Stanley Express runs.
    o Fix some missing shadows
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • Improves performance 2-7% on single GPU configurations
  • Resolve corruption seen when enabling Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing on the AMD Radeon HD 6970 Series
  • Disables CrossFireX (to resolve negative scaling and image quality issues seen when CrossFireX is enabled)o AMD is continuing to work on a CrossFireX solution for Skyrim – as soon as it’s ready we’ll make it publicly available
Battlefield 3
  • Resolves intermittent corruption seen when playing the game at specific camera angles
ect.....

can see same thing on AMDs page I believe if you go to it for the download.