Your steam account: Access from new device.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Has anyone ever seen something like this before?
I'm in CA (near Palo Alto), and Steam is telling me ... what? Someone is randomly trying to login to my account? Is it really necessary to change password? Why?
steamlogin.jpg

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
I'd change it. Steam has that 2 factor authentication where they send you an email confirmation code when you try to login from a different device or area. Do you have that turned on? I'm not sure if it's on by default. My Uplay account (of all things) was hacked by someone in Italy. Got in and changed all the profile info. Got it back quickly, but those foreigners want their free games. D:

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Yes I would change it to be safe and do at least what chimaxi83 said, or if you have a smartphone, it can do a random number authentication as well from the steam app on the phone

I'd change it. Steam has that 2 factor authentication where they send you an email confirmation code when you try to login from a different device or area. Do you have that turned on? I'm not sure if it's on by default. My Uplay account (of all things) was hacked by someone in Italy. Got in and changed all the profile info. Got it back quickly, but those foreigners want their free games. D:

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
If you haven't changed it already it might be too late. That message is telling you that the other person already has your password. Hopefully you had the extra verification option enabled in Steam.

If it was stolen, open a ticket with Steam immediately. It took me about two weeks to get my account back when it was hacked.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I do have Steam Guard on - supposedly, anytime my computer is accessed from a new computer, I get an email with the access code.... I can't proceed to login within entering that access code.

I've logged into my account and it *seems* ok.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I do have Steam Guard on - supposedly, anytime my computer is accessed from a new computer, I get an email with the access code.... I can't proceed to login within entering that access code.

I've logged into my account and it *seems* ok.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I'd change password as well as use that "remove access to all other devices" or whatever it's called. Better safe than sorry.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Some idiot in Russia tried resetting my Steam password. Sent it to my email address. I have the SteamGuard enabled.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
You might be OK since the 2 factor stopped them from logging in, however it means that they do know your password, if they had got it wrong it wouldn't have triggered the 2 factor auth system. This means they somehow learned your steam password either because it's shared with another type of account (maybe an internet forum that was hacked) or you have malware on your PC which is logging keystrokes and sending them out.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Why do people try this it seems like temporary access at best.

Successfully hijack account
Use saved credit card info to buy games as giftable.
Sell games for real money using other sites.
Send giftable game to buyer.

or

Ebay account to highest bidder, who doesn't know it's a hijacked account

Only way I can see making anything out of hijacking account.