Info Your political lean, and why

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Table of one must be lonely. :D

He no problem for me. Sometimes it's better to watch the other tables while entertaining oneself and on occasion joining one that's having a rational discussion, but if they start going nutty I keep my original spot open and just move back there.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
My ultra-fatalistic view on authoritarianism and small government is that without a strong structure, human animals will tear themselves apart. Some might say "fine, let the strong survive" but I'd replace "strong" with "corrupt, boot-licking and backstabbing".
So given that I think a strong structure is needed, it's either going to be: the government; or corporations. I don't trust or want big government, but a society run by corporations is far worse IMO. We are partially there now, just see how money is condensing at the top.

Socially, I'm more left the older I get. Most people I know my age and older seem entirely driven by fear, and I'm fighting to keep that from happening.

On most world-wide political scales, I'd be considered a hardcore right-winger surely. Here in America I guess I've been called a "raging liberal" and my favorite, "treasonous" for daring question the Iraq Invasion.

The first post shows how stupid all the labels are. If people are honest, they have views on various issues that are all over the map. I guess the drive to be part of a herd or team is a strong one in animals.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
political-compass.jpg
foreign-policy.jpgculture-war.jpg

Why? Because after extensive analysis this is the only proper answer. As new evidence arrives I will adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickqt

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
What I've discovered, in encounters with "Great Again" Trump supporters when I'm out in public, is that many of them automatically apply the label "Liberal" to you if you despise Trump.

I may be "Liberal," but one thing doth not make the other one true. Despising someone as a scourge to decent and civil behavior is not a political sentiment. And those people . . . . are freaking crazy . . .

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I'm normal.

20zxwe1.jpg

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
A little surprised by the results. i would have thought a few boxes down more towards Libertarian.

political-compass.jpg

foreign-policy.jpg

culture-war.jpg

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Which brings up the fundamental issue with such a graph. The folks who designed the graph defined "normal". My normal is probably a bit different than brandon's or eskimo's normal.

Seems to me like it's a decent definition of normal considering the statistics. The average of all the answers is very close to the middle, little bit towards left libertarian, non-interventionist, and culturally liberal based on 1.2 million responses.

My scores (yellow) against the US average (green):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Reactions: dank69

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, oddly, I have taken a different quiz which uses the same measuring spectrum but with different questions and I usually come out 1 or 2 boxes left of that one, and 1 or 2 boxes downward toward libertarian as well. It really depends on the questions asked. The healthcare question on this one was, is healthcare a "right?" I don't like that terminology so I said "disagree." But if the question asked is, do I want a government run single payer healthcare system, I would have said "agree." Also, I said "agree" that government has a role in legislating morality because if they didn't, we wouldn't have a basic criminal code. I hardly think not being an anarchist makes me more authoritarian but that's how this quiz works.
I assumed when they asked "should we legislate morality" they are talking about religious morality because if they aren't then it is a stupid question. Also the healthcare question was "is access to healthcare a right?"

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It's gotta be difficult to move the cultural needle right of center without oppressing gays and suppressing abortion.

We already had someone in this thread say they're pro-life and also support universal health care. When I read that I wanted to carve my eyes out of their sockets with a dull spoon.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
We already had someone in this thread say they're pro-life and also support universal health care. When I read that I wanted to carve my eyes out of their sockets with a dull spoon.
Probably a self-characterized "fiscal conservative" too, haha.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the post and it flat out says fiscal conservative.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Probably a self-characterized "fiscal conservative" too, haha.

EDIT: Nevermind I found the post and it flat out says fiscal conservative.

Yes, we have a deficit because the rich and corporations aren’t paying their fair share.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
You should do it, it probably reduces sinus pressure. /s

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here's me, I support health care for everyone, except of course for pregnant women because of my insane medieval religion.
It's simpler than that. He doesn't realize that making abortion illegal would add tremendously to overall healthcare costs for Americans.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Here's me, I support health care for everyone, except of course for pregnant women because of my insane medieval religion.
'Except...pregnant women' - seriously, wtf? Freedom of religion is a fundamental constitutional right, irregardless of your personal intolerance.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
More people to cover.
More medical complications arising due to additional pregnancies.
Cost of all the additional people being born with birth defects that were detected very early in the pregnancy.
More injuries from the additional crime resulting from more children "raised" by parents that do not want them.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
'Except...pregnant women' - seriously, wtf? Freedom of religion is a fundamental constitutional right, irregardless of your personal intolerance.
When your religion results in policy that is bad for society we have a problem.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
When your religion results in policy that is bad for society we have a problem.
No, you have a problem. Read the constitution again. I have every right to believe that unrestricted abortion hurts society by savagely killing the most defenseless human beings on earth, almost exclusively without just cause. I’m against capital punishment as well. You have no moral high ground here. Im not sure, but you seem to believe a fetus isn’t a human being simply because it hasn’t passed through a vagina yet. That, to me, is an absurd argument.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No, you have a problem. Read the constitution again. I have every right to believe that unrestricted abortion hurts society by savagely killing the most defenseless human beings on earth, almost exclusively without just cause. I’m against capital punishment as well. You have no moral high ground here. Im not sure, but you seem to believe a fetus isn’t a human being simply because it hasn’t passed through a vagina yet. That, to me, is an absurd argument.
No, I believe one human being has no right to form a parasitic relationship with another human being without their consent.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
No, I believe one human being has no right to form a parasitic relationship with another human being without their consent.
You don’t seem to understand consensual sex. Nor do you seem to understand essential human fecundity. This is basic psychology and biology.