Your Personal Views on Foreign Ownership of US firms and property?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Don't have an answer for that question, but surely one could equally ask, does it apply to enemy rich plutocrats operating in one's country? I mean, we have a staggering number of "think tanks" (pretending to be 'educational' and in many cases getting classified as 'charities') and media conglomerates pumping out propaganda on behalf of the rich people (mostly, but not exclusively, Americans) who own and fund them. In many cases those people don't even care if their media outlets are commercially viable, yet alone profitable, as long as they get to put their propaganda out there.

What are the limits to 'free speech' that you propose? (I mean, I think the whole concept of 'free speech' is pretty ill-defined, so I don't really know, myself)

Depends on where you are I guess. The biggest issue is black money so the Citizen United case is an absolute travesty. I am not ok with oligarchs.

All funding sources for any lobby or media group should not be hidden. Especially things like PAC. I don't have an issue with people donating to PAC but it should be transparent.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Does free speech apply to enemy state operating in the USA?
And who decides what organizations constitute "enemies of the state"? Sure we know the CCP has it's hands in TikTok, but giving that kind of power to the government would just as easily let it shutter or force the sale of a news outlet it doesn't like.
Depends on where you are I guess. The biggest issue is black money so the Citizen United case is an absolute travesty. I am not ok with oligarchs.

All funding sources for any lobby or media group should not be hidden. Especially things like PAC. I don't have an issue with people donating to PAC but it should be transparent.
At the very least PACs need to be transparent. I'm of the opinion they shouldn't exist at all.

Reactions: pmv

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
And who decides what organizations constitute "enemies of the state"? Sure we know the CCP has it's hands in TikTok, but giving that kind of power to the government would just as easily let it shutter or force the sale of a news outlet it doesn't like.

At the very least PACs need to be transparent. I'm of the opinion they shouldn't exist at all.

The national government should have the power to control which foreign power can own assets/operate in their nation no? I don't think PACs should exist either but you guys do have the weird notion that a company is a person. Combine that with first amendment then PAC is kosher.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

DoS does that.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
So years ago I mentioned I suspected we were moving to a corporate society as they move beyond borders, bend legislation to their needs or move elsewhere and still gain market access regardless.
Its all part of the global leveling happening via capitalism.